Surgery or not

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
fight4life

Surgery or not

Postby fight4life » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:50 pm

I had first surgery in December of 2008 and another major surgery in Jan. this year. Two CT scans and a biopsy finally confirmed that cancer was back (actually never has been fully cleaned). My doctor ordered a PET scan a week ago. He called me yesterday evening and told me that the PET scan showed an operatable enlarged tumor around my pelvic bone edge. A previous suspected node found in CT scan did not show up in PET scan (it is very good news). All critical organs still do not show any lesions. The operation will be a quite big one and will be done by an orthorpedic surgeon. I will be probabaly on crutch for many months. It is highly possible that I may have to use a cane to help me move around in the future. My oncologist is still upbeat and he wants me to have surgery ASAP, he said "we want to deal with it when it is still curable."

I am really tired of surgeries. If surgery is possible, do you always accept the option? I don't know if a second opinion matters at this moment.

Thanks,

fight4life

PGLGreg

Re: Surgery or not

Postby PGLGreg » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:35 pm

If it were me, yes, I would do the surgery. The recommendation of your oncologist counts for a lot, I'd say. I have only second-hand experience with orthopedic surgery, since I was care-giver for my mother who had that (not for cancer) on her spine. She had a lot of physical therapy and did quite well, for a time, though lost the fight in the end. But, then, she was quite old (86). I was impressed with how much her therapists were able to help her.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

disco nap

Postby disco nap » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:59 pm

I'd do the surgery.
DX July 2 '10 CC Stage IIIC, 11/18 nodes+
Right Hemi July 6 '10
Folfox: Aug 17'10 - Feb 17'11
Mar 2012: Lynch Syndrome MLH1
"Declared well" and been well ever since.
Update: Jan 2023 - still NED.

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:25 pm

If it were me, I'd break out the knife :)
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:51 pm

fight4life wrote:..... he said "we want to deal with it when it is still curable."

I am really tired of surgeries. If surgery is possible, do you always accept the option? I don't know if a second opinion matters at this moment.

I am a vet..most of my friends are doctors of some sort....3 years out from diagnosis...I hate doctors !
I do surgery, have for 30 years..love doing it......now I hate surgery (for me).

I have / had cancer : I would accept the option. I would go with a doc who says : "we want to deal with it when it is still curable." Second opinions are never a bad idea, but if you trust your doc, his diagnosis and plan fit with what you are going through...I would go for it. My 2 cents.....and exactly what I did do for ME, when I had a recurrence.

"do you always accept the option ?"
...that can only be YOUR "2 cents" to decide.

Sending best wishes, and support, for whatever you decide for YOU !

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Phuong
Facebook Username: Phuong Ly Gallagher

Postby Phuong » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:03 pm

No doubt surgery sucks, but if the onc thinks it's curable with surgery, I say go for it.
Phuong
http://sonofamotherlessgoat.net/
dx'd Stage III Rectal (T3 N1 M0)
Now Stage IV mCRC

Candyys03
Facebook Username: Candy Llamas

Postby Candyys03 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:47 am

I agree with everyone.I think that surgery would be the best.
Get a second opinion if you need to.
Candy
DX8/0642yrIVCCmtsliver
9/06opcol+lymps
07oxy
08livernonop
08iri+erb
1/09opliver
NED11m
12/09lungmts
3/10livermts
NED7m
2/11lungmts
4/11NED3m
5/2Xel
9/26lungop
NED6m
3/12lungmtsirierb
11/27avas+ox
7/13Stivarga
10/28irierb
1/17
caringbridge.orgcandyllamas

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:46 am

If I were in those circumstances I'd opt for surgery. So many times people are "not surgical candidates" and it isn't good. To be a surgical candidate is a great thing - it gives you a long term better chance for survival. I'd take the short-term recovery challenges for the chance at long-term life.

SBL
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

KarMel
Facebook Username: Karin Gray

Postby KarMel » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:35 am

fight4life wrote:I am really tired of surgeries. If surgery is possible, do you always accept the option? I don't know if a second opinion matters at this moment.

fight4life

Short answer is "no"...you don't have to accept that option. No one can force you to have that surgery. If your oncologist says that is your best option for survival, and you really don't want more surgeries, then ask him or her or what a second choice might be. Is radiation or more chemo even a choice?

Doing nothing at all is always a choice....but are you really ready to give up the fight? Can you try to help us understand why you don't want the surgical option, if that is not being too personal?

Peace
Stage IV, April 2009.
Treatments...multiple .
Currently none
"It is well, with my soul"

fight4life

Postby fight4life » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:48 pm

Thank you all for your encouragement. This is a truely loving community. I will have a MRI today and meet my surgeon tomorrow. I will let you know the outcome.

fight4life

karin
Facebook Username: Karin Tobin Fagner

Postby karin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:33 am

I would get the surgery, as it seems being aggressive surgically does extend life, and certainly, can enhance quality of life (tumors can press on organs and such and cause a lot of discomfort)...
Karin
Karin
BFF dx'd June09 w CRC & peritoneal mucinous carcinomatosis @ age 40
She beat cancer for 20 months!

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:39 am

I guess I'd weigh the potential physical compromise you'd endure with surgery against the likely physical degradation, pain, etc. that you'd experience eventually without treatment. Seems to me the former would be less painful than the latter, with the added benefit of a promise of a longer life.

But I agree, surgery is nothing to be taken lightly nor undertaken without careful consideration. But I'd bet that any cost/benefit analysis would work out in favor of surgery.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

fight4life

Postby fight4life » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:19 pm

I met my surgeon today. He explained the scope of the surgery and the possible complications to me. My surgery is scheduled on next Wednesday (9/29/10).

I asked if there is a possibility to do a real-time biopsy during the surgery. He said that it will be difficult to do due to the big size of the cut. But he will do it if he has some concerns at certain spots.

The incision will come from my back. It will be unlikely for the surgeon to examine other areas. That is my biggest worry. I hope that 2 CT scans, 1 PET scan and 1 MRI have told the whole story.

fight4life

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:30 pm

Good luck. If, like me, you're prone to anxiety pre-op, ask your doctor for a script for Ativan or some other sedative. Ativan makes me stupid, but I guess I prefer stupidity to anxiety. Once they get you into the hospital, the pharmacy is basically open for business. You won't have to worry about pain or anxiety control--they gots the goodies and they don't mind handing them out.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

boweltumor

Postby boweltumor » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:21 pm

yes, do the surgery

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”