disease spread

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jane
Facebook Username: sian leal

disease spread

Postby jane » Wed May 09, 2007 4:22 am

I am currently NED following all the usual treatments for stage 3 rectal cancer. I now fret over every little ache and pain. For those people who later found their disease had spread to their lungs and liver I am curious whether they had any symptoms or were completely shocked by the finding. My oncologist says that tiredness would be the first symptom. What do others think? I actually feel REALLY WELL at present and want to stay that way. Hence I want to know if there is anything else I should look for. I see my oncologist every 3 months, when I get examined and my blood results are checked. I get my CEA checked too and liver function tests. So far all is well. I finished treatment in July 2006.

Cheers,
Jane
Rectal tumour Nov 2005 T3 N1 M0 age 42, Mum of 4.
Chemo/radiotherapy, 5FU via pump
Surgery (straight anastamosis), TME Feb 2006
Finished 5FU, Leucovorin July 2006
NED since!
I want to die of old age!

sue

Re: disease spread

Postby sue » Wed May 09, 2007 3:18 pm

I had no signs of recurance. My CEA level told us. Be sure to keep up with your apt's for blood work and scans!

jane wrote:I am currently NED following all the usual treatments for stage 3 rectal cancer. I now fret over every little ache and pain. For those people who later found their disease had spread to their lungs and liver I am curious whether they had any symptoms or were completely shocked by the finding. My oncologist says that tiredness would be the first symptom. What do others think? I actually feel REALLY WELL at present and want to stay that way. Hence I want to know if there is anything else I should look for. I see my oncologist every 3 months, when I get examined and my blood results are checked. I get my CEA checked too and liver function tests. So far all is well. I finished treatment in July 2006.

Cheers,
Jane
Oct 2003 surgery 36 weeks 5FU

Dec 2006-mets to liver and lymph nodes (stage 1V ) Had liver resection/radiation/chemo

2008 nodes on lungs started FOLFOX4, 5FU/leucovorin, avastin. After 10 cycles no change

Oct 2008 started 5-FU

May 2009-Folfox4

missjv

Postby missjv » Wed May 09, 2007 3:25 pm

hi jane,
just keep up with your docs and testing i was diagnosed stage 4 with no symptoms and a cea of 2. i had no clue i had cancer. doing very well now but it was a shock. as long as you follow up and keep on schedule if something should happen to pop up then it can be dealt with right away.

missjv

Luv2Run

Postby Luv2Run » Thu May 10, 2007 6:41 pm

Hi Jane,

I also had Stage III rectal with 1 lymph node involvement. Dx'd in July 2005, had surgery, 6 months of 5FU and 25 radiation treatments. Just had my yearly post-treatment CAT scan and CEA. I was stressing for a few weeks - before the test because of the high-profile people whose cancer has returned, and while waiting for my results.

My appt. with my oncologist was this past Monday. He was surprised I was stressing - he said that I'm one of his patients that he does not worry at all about ... he keeps telling me the cancer is GONE - don't stress over it!!! My CAT was fine and my CEA is 0.8. I did my happy dance in front of him!!

You will be fine ... 80% is attitude - keep it positive!

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Fri May 11, 2007 5:20 pm

Hi Jane,
I also finished folfox in July 2006. Having your blood labs done every three months is the way to keep track of any changes. Earliest changes will be detected that way first and if there is suspicion then a CAT scan would be ordered....at least that is how it worked for me. Keep it up!! Sounds like you are doing well. I understand how you probably jump at every twinge and pain....it is normal to feel that way as everything is suspect now. Don't be afraid to be a pest because acting as your own advocate is the best -- Hey....a rhyme!! I should trademark that!!
Margot
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"
Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”