Chemo Brain at work

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sue

chemo

Postby sue » Sat May 19, 2007 12:20 pm

what chemo have you beenon all these years??
Susan wrote:Chemo brain is one of my old friends these days. I have been on chemotherapy (no breaks) since June 2004, and I have been able to observe a reduction in mental acuity. Clearly the old brain sure ain't what it used to be.

Sometimes you just got to laugh. Not too long ago at work, I mistook the telephone for an adding machine and wondered why there were no totals appearing anywhere. It took several seconds for me to realize that the telephone was not the adding machine. Worse, there were several people present to witness this event. Nothing like creating a little extra amusement in the work place.

Conversations often go in one ear and out the other. Sometimes it's hard to find certain words when I am speaking or writing. Like Magnolia said, the whole business is a little distressing.

I am planning to move out of Alaska in the near future and will be looking for an oncologist who may decide that I am deserving of a few months off the chemo. I hope there is still time to avoid the selling-pencils-on-the-street scenario.

Good luck to everyone, Susan
Oct 2003 surgery 36 weeks 5FU

Dec 2006-mets to liver and lymph nodes (stage 1V ) Had liver resection/radiation/chemo

2008 nodes on lungs started FOLFOX4, 5FU/leucovorin, avastin. After 10 cycles no change

Oct 2008 started 5-FU

May 2009-Folfox4

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sat May 19, 2007 1:58 pm

No one knows what really causes chemo brain. It probably has many causes, among them fatigue, depression, low blood counts, sleep disturbances, effects of other medications etc. You may certianly be feeling some of these even if you haven't been on conventional chemo. Good luck with your therapies.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”