recent colonoscopy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
janicebuf

recent colonoscopy

Postby janicebuf » Fri May 04, 2007 2:25 pm

hi, i am new here and i am not looking for a diagnosis, just some advice. i had a c-scope the other day and it is my 3rd one. the last one was 3 yrs ago. i have ulceratvie colitis and i am a 45 yr old female. anyway, i stayed awake for the procedure because i wanted to watch. in the lower portion of my colon there were 2 clusters of 'polyps', the dr. said she wasn't sure they were polyps or not and didn't remove them, only biopsied them. as you can imagine i am very scared. my sister died of breast cancer at 41, which makes me even more frightened. if they aren't polyps, what could they be??? could they be cancerous after only 3 yrs?? thanks so much, any help would be appreciated.

lamerex4

Postby lamerex4 » Fri May 04, 2007 3:21 pm

I know it's extremely hard to wait, but guessing is fruitless. I had my colonoscopy on a Thursday and the diagnosis by Monday.
I had a normal screening colonoscopy in April of 2003. In February of 2006 I developed rectal bleeding. I had a hard time getting doctors to think beyond that normal colonoscopy, but I was persistant, and I'm glad I was.
My sister who is 3 years older than I am had adenocarcinoma of the breast last year.
It is scary, and the waiting difficult, but soon you will have the answers and know what step, if any, is next.
Best wishes!
Stage I Rectosigmoid Adenocarcinoma 02/07
Stage IB Uterine Adenocarcinoma 10/03

suzieh

Postby suzieh » Fri May 04, 2007 8:57 pm

Sometimes these types of things show up in colonoscopies. I know you cannot stop thinking about it, but wait until your biopsies come back. It is common practice to believe that it takes a polyp 7 years to become cancer, but at 3 years a polyp can certainly begin to show signs of cells a changing.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”