Does stage 4 CC wont show up in CT/Scan Blood test's?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CHIP_

Does stage 4 CC wont show up in CT/Scan Blood test's?

Postby CHIP_ » Thu May 03, 2007 2:33 am

Hi
if you have stage 4 CC< does it normally shows up or any sings in blood work/ct scan?

My mom had some symptoms and finally getting colonscopy tomorrow, Just scared and wondering may be its not cancer?she is 38 with no history and healthy otherwise, went thru many tests including cans, IPV, etc etc please she some light

notgivingup

showing up

Postby notgivingup » Thu May 03, 2007 8:20 am

In my experience:

Cancer may not readily show up on testing, depending on type, size of lesion, etc.

However, stage 4 CC usually presents itself through an elevated CEA (blood test) Normal Range 0-3 non smokers. Normal Range 0-5 smokers.

It also may show up in a CT or MR given that the lesion(s) are greater than approximately 5mm. A PET may also provide evidence of disease and is good at documenting metastasis.

Ulitmately, the only way to confirm is to get a piece of the suspicious area (biopsy) and get a pathological confirmation.
Stage IV CC mets Liver, Portcaval Node, Aortocaval Nodes and Superclavicular Node
Diag. May 2005 Xeloda, Oxaliplatin, Campostar, Avastin, 100G IV C twice weekly
Sigmoid and Liver Wedge Resection, Portocaval Node dissection and ventral hernia repair.

missjv

Postby missjv » Thu May 03, 2007 11:53 am

hi,
well the best thing is scans such as cat scan or pet scan i was stage 4 with normal cea of 2 now at 1.5. nothing in any blood test that i had screamed stage 4 cancer. i had 3 very small lesions on my liver which have sense been surgically removed and no lymphnode involvment. your mom is doing the right thing by getting the colonoscopy and then if something turns up they will do more testing. good luck to your mom.

missjv

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”