Question about symptoms

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!

Question about symptoms

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:50 am

Hello, I am a 25 year old female who has a few questions about colon cancer symptoms. When I look back on it, I have had quiet a few symptoms for some time... the most alarming is bright red blood that drips after a bowel movement. I have had it maybe 2 or 3 times in the past 2 years (maybe 4?) where I would have some bright red blood after I went to the bathroom and it lasted for a week or two... I haven't had it for awhile, I think the last time was June. During that time I also noticed that I had dirrhea alot. So does the rectal bleeding with cancer come and go, or does that mean it is probably IBS or something like that?

Also, is it possible to have a polyp outside the anus? I have this small fleshy bump outside the anus, I have no idea what it is.

I know that I can't know anything for sure unless I see a doctor, but that is not an option for me right now. I am uninsured and I am a law student who is in the middle of finals and then soon will be studing for the bar, so not only am I uninsured and broke, my time is very limited. The only symptoms I have had lately is some constipation (I plan on increasing my fiber and possibly taking a laxitive to see if I can get rid of that) as well as a bit of cramping type abdomen pain that comes and goes, and something that feels like a pressure on my anus (could be the constipation)?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

bailey1

Postby bailey1 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:11 am

Hi - swellings outside the anus can be haemorrhoids which are not cancerous and can be treated easily.
However, any form of rectal bleeding is serious enough to warrant a visit to the doctor. You really MUST try to see someone very soon, no expense is too great for your peace of mind; and if it is something more serious the sooner it is treated the more likely it can be cured.
Good luck
Stay focused, be strong, have faith and live long.
Dx 1999 stage 3C, mets in liver and lungs resected 10/00, 12/00, 01/05 and 08/06, current adenocarcinoma in larynx, trachea and both lungs.

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:22 am

Bailey1 is right what he says, normal symtoms would be more of a dark red blood, aswell as mucas. Its worth getting checked out though. Best of luck. Bailey1 where are you from in the uk?

Regards
Nick

Kris

Postby Kris » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:03 am

Just to let you know that my symptoms were like yours. I had bright red blood and not all the time.
I know about the hassle of not having insurance but the sooner cancer is caught the better. I'm not saying it's cancer but if it is it's best to get it out ASAP. Better safe then sorry.
When I finally had my colonoscopy they found the rectal tumor.
Sometimes you have to make the time for yourself even if you don't have it to spare.
Good luck to you and God bless!!

sue

insurance

Postby sue » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:40 am

Most states have some sort of free health care for those without insurance. Also, your college might have coverage for you. I will find out for you if you tell me what state your in. You should see a Dr. Sue
Oct 2003 surgery 36 weeks 5FU

Dec 2006-mets to liver and lymph nodes (stage 1V ) Had liver resection/radiation/chemo

2008 nodes on lungs started FOLFOX4, 5FU/leucovorin, avastin. After 10 cycles no change

Oct 2008 started 5-FU

May 2009-Folfox4

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:08 am

Thanks for your answers. I thought it might be hemroids, but the little bump thing looks nothing like the pictures that I've seen. It is very small, very fleshy looking not bright red or slimy looking or anything like a vein, and it doesn't hurt or itch or anything else.

Kris, can I ask you about your symptoms? Was there such a long span of time between the bleeding? The last time I had the bleeding was in june or july, and then before that I think it had been another year too. Also, from what I've read, with rectal cancer the stools come out kinda flat and smaller, did you have that? I don't think I have any of that.

I noticed that one of the other symptoms was weight loss. I know that about 3 and a half years ago I had unexpectadly lost about 10 or 15 pounds. I remember eating badly and not working out, and thinking it was weird that I lost the weight at the time. But I was also the biggest I had ever been, and I had just gotten out of a bad relationship, and I was doing other things that made me much happier than in the past, so perhaps I was unconsciously eating less and my body was just going back to its normal size. Anyways, the reason I'm asking about this is because I saw that unexplained weight loss is one of the symptoms, but would it have come back with cancer? I've seen my weight yo-yo (like most people) over these past few years since the unexplained loss.

Thank you all for reading my long post and answering my questions, even though I know I should just go to a doctor. Another reason I am hesitant to go is because it sounds like my symptoms also might be consistent with crohn's disease, and since they are pretty much controlled right now I would rather wait a few months until I have the time and money. I've had these symptoms for a few years, whats a few months I guess.

Could anybody tell me what a visit to this kind of doctor is like, what to expect and about how long these tests might take.

lamerex4

Postby lamerex4 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:52 pm

Allow me to join the choir.
Walk away from the computer, pick up the phone and call and make an appointment to see a DR.
Every campus has health services.
College students can get very inexpensive health insurance.
Why would you want to take a chance with you life after all the hard work you've put into education, law school and the bar?
Yes, your symptoms could be caused by colon cancer or any number of gastric diseases or conditions.
One of my main symptoms was pressure near my tail bone and blood in my stool.
No more excuses! This is the mother and the nurse in me speaking.
You can google all you want, but you won't know anything definitive until you see the doctor.
You are well versed in law, but leave the medical stuff to the medical professionals.
Now get moving!
Stage I Rectosigmoid Adenocarcinoma 02/07
Stage IB Uterine Adenocarcinoma 10/03

johnnys84

Postby johnnys84 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:11 pm

You know its funny I was just discussing law school with my fiance. I told her had I discovered that I had cancer during law school, I probably would have never finished. She is the one that finally made me go to dr last summer. I graduated in 2003, and took the NY bar that summer and NJ the following winter.

I do not want to freak you out but your symptoms sound very similar to mine except I had much more frequent bleading. In addition I also had a cyst outside of the anus which is believed to be connected with my condition (familial polyposis). I regret waiting so long I could have had a couple other options that I could have pursued. I totally understand your need to deal with finals and the bar, but really immediately after the bar you should get checked out.

If you have any questions please free to ask. Good Luck.
JJS

Diagnosed June 30, 2006 Stage II colorectal cancer (familial polyposis) 30 years old
October 27, 2006 Total Colectomy and K-pouch
March 9, 2007 K-pouch revision

johnnys84

Postby johnnys84 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:12 pm

You know its funny I was just discussing law school with my fiance. I told her had I discovered that I had cancer during law school, I probably would have never finished. She is the one that finally made me go to dr last summer. I graduated in 2003, and took the NY bar that summer and NJ the following winter.

I do not want to freak you out but your symptoms sound very similar to mine except I had much more frequent bleading. In addition I also had a cyst outside of the anus which is believed to be connected with my condition (familial polyposis). I regret waiting so long I could have had a couple other options that I could have pursued. I totally understand your need to deal with finals and the bar, but really immediately after the bar you should get checked out.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Good Luck.
JJS

Diagnosed June 30, 2006 Stage II colorectal cancer (familial polyposis) 30 years old

October 27, 2006 Total Colectomy and K-pouch

March 9, 2007 K-pouch revision

sean

Postby sean » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:34 pm

I would not wait until after the bar. Its stressful enough studying for the exam - at least find out what is going on with your health. Besides, if it is cancer (which I sincerely hope it is not) you will certainly regret not acting sooner if you put off seeking medical care. Colon cancer can spread when it is still small & before it shows symptoms - the less time a tumor is in you the better your chances. Given your symptoms and that you were concerned enough to post here, it is foolish to wait to seek medical attention. Look through some of the stories on this site and you'll get an idea of how much many of the people here wish they or their doctors had paid attention to their symptoms sooner. Read about colon cancer staging and decide if you are ok with the risk and treatments associated with moving from a Stage 0 or I to a stage II, III, or IV diagnosis. Blood w/ colon cancer is usually associated with a cancer in the left colon or rectum. It is often digested if it is in the right colon. Not sure about the transverse colon. Mine was in the right colon, but perhaps someone here familiar with left colon or rectal cancer can tell you their opinion on the difference in their options based on how advanced the cancer was. My guess is that catching it early makes a big difference. Good luck w/ your health & the bar.
42 - dx Jan 3 2007 stage IIA colon
9 FOLFOX4, 3 5-FU completed Sep 24 2007
Blockage symptoms, Negative Colonoscopy, Positive PET Oct 2009
2nd Resection Oct 2009 - Suspected Local Recurrence was Negative

Kris

Postby Kris » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:59 am

I would go to your Dr and have him make an apt. with a GI.
I hardly ever bled at first, and like yourself I waited and didn't go to the Dr.
Now I have a permanent colostomy with no rectum.
Go see your Dr now, your health is your responsability.
Try not to freak out it could be a number of things. It's best to know because as others have said if it is cancer the sooner you get it out the better.
Don't try and self diagnose, I tried that too.
Take care and God bless!!

Robert D

Question about symptoms

Postby Robert D » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:53 pm

Follow everyone's advise and get to a doctor. Even if it isn't Crohn's is nothing to mess with either. I have two family members with it and I know. God Bless.

sue

go

Postby sue » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:12 pm

I never had any symtoms...none! Go see a Dr.!! Now!
Oct 2003 surgery 36 weeks 5FU

Dec 2006-mets to liver and lymph nodes (stage 1V ) Had liver resection/radiation/chemo

2008 nodes on lungs started FOLFOX4, 5FU/leucovorin, avastin. After 10 cycles no change

Oct 2008 started 5-FU

May 2009-Folfox4

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”