Cetuximab Rash Advice?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
EllenRMeyer

Cetuximab Rash Advice?

Postby EllenRMeyer » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:27 pm

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer 2 months ago. I began taking part in a clinical trial about a month ago where one of the drugs I receive is Cetuximab (Erbitux). As expected, it's given me a pretty severe acne-like rash on my face, scalp, and chest. (Gee--thought I was done with that back in high school!) In the past few days it's gotten worse so that it's sore to the touch and quite itchy. My doctor prescribed antibiotics which I began today. But I don't really like the idea of taking yet another drug. Does anyone have advice on topical treatments or anything else that has helped to reduce the severity of the Cetuximab rash?

Thanks!

Ellen
PS I'm new to this site/board and I think it's so helpful!

rthornton

Postby rthornton » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:08 am

I used Erbitux from November of '05 to April of '06, and STILL have remnants of the rash! I like to call it Erbirash. I used Minocycline oral antibiotics, and Clindamycin topical antibiotics. The antibiotics helped the rash, but it never really went away. I also tried many different facial creams, washes, and even had a woman at a Clinique counter give me a make-over in a shopping mall on a Sunday afternoon (which was an act of desperation, as I am a man and that got some stares!). I think if maybe I'd started the antibiotics sooner then I'd not have gotten a rash, and could have controlled it better, but ... I'll never know. I eventually told my doctor I was worried that my entire head would be encased in the rash and then I would suffocate, so he took me off the drug. Really, it wasn't that bad in hindsight, but I'd suggest doing all that you can do to control the rash. Just my thoughts, having been through it.

They say that if you get the rash, that means the drug is working. Best wishes for you to have great success with it.

Rodney

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”