To Port or not to port?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
LeeT

To Port or not to port?

Postby LeeT » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:14 pm

Since I will probably be on chemo indefinitely I am thinking of trading my PICC line in for a port. My Onc is fine with this decision and says that it will be more conducive to my life style and easier to swim and shower with- and my 14 month old will not have access to any lines to pull out of my arm!The reason he went with a PICC line is that they could put it in immediately whereas the wait for a port is 6-8 weeks- which I did not have if I didn't start treatment right away. I was wondering if anyone made the switch and if they are happy with the decision, was it painful when inserted and are there increase risks for infections at the sight? Any tips for dealing with a port would be appreciated.

Other news is that after 6 treatments (6th today) my onc is happy with my results. He says my CEA is a good indicator for what is happening as it went from 2131 to 1894 after 4 treatments. Still a long way to go but will see with my next CEA tests what is happening...will have one every month now. Still feeling strong and heading to New York next week for a mini break (our first trip and time apart from our baby) to see the sights- just hoping will not get too tired as we are planning to explore on foot! Does anyone have any foods/ drinks they use to keep their energy up? So far fatigue has not been too bad but after a 3 full days of walking and sightseeing I think I may be in need of some help!
LeeT
Age31
Proud mamma of Rhys and wifey to Grant
Dx 29 April Stage IV mCRC cancer with mets on liver
18/05- Started FOLFIRI with Avastin

Phuong
Facebook Username: Phuong Ly Gallagher

Re: To Port or not to port?

Postby Phuong » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:34 pm

I got an infection when my port was put in and I still say port! It's so convenient and easy and you can't tell at all when it's under your clothes. Have a GREAT time in NY!
Phuong
http://sonofamotherlessgoat.net/
dx'd Stage III Rectal (T3 N1 M0)
Now Stage IV mCRC

surfingon

Postby surfingon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:39 pm

When my husband was considering this decision, his surgeon strongly urged him to get the port-- said "You'll look back on this as the best decision you ever made." He was right. Even got the okay from the surgeon to surf with the port.

Best wishes,
Rachel
caregiver to husband John
Stage III CC 3-05
liver+ colon resect Nov '06
FolfoxA , FolfiriA
7 liver RFA's, 1 lung RFA
died April 29, 2009
http://sheddinglightonthecancerjourney.wordpress.com/
http://sheddinglightonthewidowsjourney.wordpress.com

starbuck30

Postby starbuck30 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:52 pm

I absolutely hate my port and I still strongly recommend it. I think my hatred is more psychologically based since the surgery was really rough on me. So my advice is: get the port, and make sure you tell the surgeon if you're prone to nausea in case he decides to "do you a favor" and give you 3x the amount of anasthesia needed.

I also recommend getting the Lidocaine cream that you can put on an hour before they access it. Just slap a Tegaderm bandage over that baby to protect your clothes and you won't feel a thing when they stick you.

I have heard stories about infections and so forth, but my general impression is the risk is no higher than any other type of surgery (which, obviously, will always carry SOME risk). If I'm wrong about this I hope someone will correct me. You'll want to consider what side you want it on (a good deciding factor is if you drive or are a passenger more often, because the shoulder belt may dig in).

I hope this helps a bit. I know I said I hate my port, and I do, but I'm also very grateful for it. Kinda like how I feel about chemo.

Much love and good luck to you,
Starbuck
2/26/10 Dx'd colon cancer
3/12 complete colerectomy, temporary ileostomy
3/19 pathology came back Stage IIIC CC
4/2 started FOLFOX
Chemo "precautionary", last CT showed NED PLEASE God let's keep it that way
9/16/10 FOLFOX finished! Woo hah!

mike_co

Postby mike_co » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:33 am

I have a love/hate releationship with my port. Mostly because I have to carry a pump for 46 hours after infusion and it wears on my nerves. Once the port is de-accessed, it's all good again.

I think the data is pretty clear that the port lowers the risk of infection versus the alternatives. So, I think you just can't beat it.

--Mike
Colon resection 11/09 (15/31 ln)
Stage IV CC w/Met to liver dx at age 46
Xelox failed. FOLFIRI w/ Avastin 6 cycles
6/2/10 - Right hepatectomy
6 more cycles
NED 7/2010 - 4/2011
Dad to three boys age 4,5 & 6 and lucky husband of Shanna

Candyys03
Facebook Username: Candy Llamas

Postby Candyys03 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:36 am

Due to being on blood thinners and with a history of blood clots I do not have a port.I have asked for one many times and I still want one but I am just not a good candidate.I have had a PICC line in each arm in the past but I now have the next best thing a Broviac which is placed in the chest.

http://www.chemocare.com/whatis/how_is_ ... _given.asp

For fatigue extra protein.Try protein powder or high protein bars.

Have a good vacation but don't try to push yourself too much.Listen to your body.

Candy
DX8/0642yrIVCCmtsliver
9/06opcol+lymps
07oxy
08livernonop
08iri+erb
1/09opliver
NED11m
12/09lungmts
3/10livermts
NED7m
2/11lungmts
4/11NED3m
5/2Xel
9/26lungop
NED6m
3/12lungmtsirierb
11/27avas+ox
7/13Stivarga
10/28irierb
1/17
caringbridge.orgcandyllamas

skipperx

Postby skipperx » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:14 am

I love my port, because it allows me to go swimming. I forget that I have one most of the time.

I thought to IV insertion for each chemo cycle was going to hurt like hell, but actually it's not much more than a pin prick, especially using the Lidocaine cream before.

I had the port put in one day, and started chemo the next day. There was a tiny, tiny bit of infection right on the corner of the incision, but this cleared up with some antibiotics.

Cheers, Skip
Age - 51
Recal Cancer Stage 4 - multiple mets in liver
DX 11/05/10 - non operable - KRASS mutant
Chemo - 12 x Folfox + Avastin
05 - 11
Folfox stopped working after round #10
Started FOLFIRI 11/22

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:12 am

If it had legs, I would worship the ground my port walked on :). For me the surgery was painful/sucky for about a week, but it was all worth it in the end. This thing really made treatments easier, and makes blood draws and blood work easier too. They never miss the vein ;)

As for energy, caffeine, vitamin B, protein, and stay hydrated. Don't forget that last part as summer in NYC can get oppressively hot. Hope you guys have fun :)
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

kanga

Postby kanga » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:01 am

I would recommend the port. I hated the idea of getting one but it made chemo so much easier. It also made blood draws and iv's easier. They can use the port for hydration as well as to administer nausea drugs. ( I had a permanent ostomy so suppositories were not an option.) After it heals, as long as it is not accessed at the time, you can swim shower etc.

MarkS.

Postby MarkS. » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:14 am

I'm also getting a PICC line and called my Onc to see if I could get a port. He stated that the PICC line has a much lesser chance of infection and, for as long as I'm going to have chemo, would not need to be changed as often as a port. I did manage to find some PICC covers/seals that I could use when I exercise, but this whole idea of something sticking out of my arm just stinks. I keep telling myself to just man-up and live with it for 6 months so hopefully I won't have to do it again! :D
5/2010 DX'd Sigmoid CCr
6/2010 Colectomy. Sigmoid Colon
Stage 3C.T3 N2 M0; 6/14 Lymph Nodes
8/2010 FOLFOX: 12 Rounds
6/2011 NED
8/2012 Avastin/5FU Lung Mets
3/2013 CT/PET Normal
6/2013 Xeloda/Avastin Maintenance
2/2014, 9/2014 CT/PET Clear
4/2016 17mm Lung Met
5/2016 CyberKnife
6/2016 85% Tumor Reduction