Incisional Hernias

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ashlee H.

Incisional Hernias

Postby Ashlee H. » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:48 pm

Seems when they gut you like a fish, the chances are pretty good you'll end up with an incisional hernia. I've been cut down the middle twice now, and also had my gall bladder removed through lap procedure. Surgeons say they've had to deal with a ton of scar tissue. I've already had one hernia fixed...and I've got some discomfort that may indicate I've got another hernia to deal with. My first was repaired by tightly sewing it together. My ONC surgeon really hated the thought of using mesh. Looking on the Internet, guess there are a lot of issues if you do use the mesh. Just wondering how some of you had your hernias repaired, and do you know if there is anything new (or on the horizon) that doesn't include the mesh? Just looking for your personal experiences regarding incisional hernias.

Ashlee
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

Terry Miller

Re: Incisional Hernias

Postby Terry Miller » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:59 pm

I had an incisional hernia almost three years post-op. My bowel also had a twist which was a totally miserable experience. The hernia repair was completed with mesh, probably because of how active I am. That procedure was 8 years ago and everything has been non-eventful since that time. I have had two inguinal (sp?) hernia repairs with mesh. That, too, has been good. My doctor had warned me about hernias and he was right.

Best wishes,

Terry

JAZZToo

Postby JAZZToo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:37 pm

I had a large vertical incisional hernia repaired with mesh in 2004. At first you feel it when you lay on your stomach, but the body soon covers it as it incorporates the mesh into the tissues/muscle it is holding together, and after a while you don't even know its there.

Last year, I had a very rare complication. I was running a high fever and thought I felt a mass in my pelvic area near the bottom of the former incision. After a CAT scan it was determined to be an abdominal abscess which was cleaned out surgically, and since it didn't effect the mesh, the mesh was left in place - it was near but not on it. After web research I realized that it was a rare complication that could occur to someone who has had a mesh hernia repair.

You have to weight the benefits of mesh versus the disadvantages. A mesh repair makes it unlikely that the hernia will reopen, and that makes it worth using; though you do have to be aware if you ever run a fever of unknown origin to consider the possibility of an abscess (though highly unlikely) should still be ruled out.
Leslie

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:55 pm

JAZZtoo wrote:... and since it didn't effect the mesh, the mesh was left in place - it was near but not on it. After web research I realized that it was a rare complication that could occur to someone who has had a mesh hernia repair.

Further to this, too, there is a special resistant mesh which inhibits bacterial colonization at the site. There is an old post of mine which I outlined a buddy's 7 surgery journey until my surgeon took him as a patient and basically cleaned everything out, back to square one, and used the special mesh....no problems since.

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:57 pm

Interesting, I wasn't aware that there were any troubles with mesh. I'm told I had some installed when I had my upgrade to Fletch 2.0 and both my colorectal surgeon and my HIPEC surgical oncologist seemed to enjoy using it. As you guys know, I haven't had a single problem with my incision and push my body to the limits all the time. Wierd
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”