Recurrence.... Surprised? Or did you know?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Bonnie D.

Recurrence.... Surprised? Or did you know?

Postby Bonnie D. » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:00 pm

I'm curious to know if anyone was surprised by a recurrence.

Were you feeling well when the recurrence occurred? Or did you know that something was wrong – or did you feel that something just wasn’t quite right?

When my cancer was initially discovered I wasn’t surprised because I had complained of not feeling quite right for a long time. I knew something was wrong, I just didn’t know what. So now I’m feeling fantastic, 1¾ years post chemo and I’m happy dancing (to CRGuy's tunes). It’s been a long haul to get to this point and I just don’t think it’s possible to have a recurrence while feeling on top of the world. My oncologist says the feeling of overall well-being is a good sign, but to “never say never” as far as a recurrence go. So, I’d like to know if ANYONE was caught by surprise with a recurrence diagnosis.
Bonnie D.
Bonnie D.
D=Diarrhea This was my middle name during chemo. Thankfully that's over.
Stage III with 7 lymph nodes positive
Diag: 12/07
Colon Resection: 3/08
Chemo: Folfox Finished 10/08

ams5796

Re: Recurrence.... Surprised? Or did you know?

Postby ams5796 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:26 pm

I was totally and completely caught off guard with my recurrence diagnosis. I felt wonderful. It had been two and a half years since I had finished treatment. I just started really getting my life back. I had recently started a new job which I love(d). I was back to being active physically and socially. I was in a great place.Always a bit fearful for a routine CT scan I was no more worked up than usual. I was pretty blown away by my first diagnosis also. I had no symptoms at that time.

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:47 pm

I too was feeling fine with only the follow up imaging to tell me otherwise !

SO..enjoy the good feelin's and just be sure to keep up the aggressive follow up tests and scans. We don't want any more repeat offenders on this forum :mrgreen: Keep happy dancin' !

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Phuong
Facebook Username: Phuong Ly Gallagher

Postby Phuong » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:55 pm

I was completely floored. I felt fine and only found out because of CEAs and follow up CT scans. Be agressive in the follow ups, but try not to worry about all the what if's. A friend of mine shared his perspective with me about running scenarios through his head. You can run through a thousand of them, but out of that thousand you'll only be right once about it being bad news. So try not to worry and enjoy life. Don't let this crap take any more of your time than it really needs to. Oh, and don't forget to share the happy dance with us. :D
Phuong
http://sonofamotherlessgoat.net/
dx'd Stage III Rectal (T3 N1 M0)
Now Stage IV mCRC

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:02 am

My doctors felt I had IBS after my first surgery, and probably scar tissue, so my concerns of multiple BMs and pain in my stomach were not taken too seriously by anyone but me. When I went for an emergency scope in June, my gastro doc told me right at the start that he didnt think he would find anything, even though I had started to REALLY bleed. I think he truly felt bad when he called the surgeon half way through the scope. So I guess everyone else was surprised, but me.

I am however surprised by the stage...a 1 last time and 3 this time.

I think the secret is to listen to your body, and although not everyone gets signs, many of us do. Make sure your doctor listens to your concerns. I wonder now if they had checked my CEA levels more than just once after my surgery, if they could have caught things earlier. I think as it was a Stage 1, they figured I was cured, and left it at that.

As a survivor, we will always think about it. We will "go there" when we have a "symptom", beause that is what we know. Briefly visting is one thing....extended stays without cause...not allowed.

Rejoice in your good health. Live for the moment, and IF you need to deal again one day...so be it. But not today.

Wishing you continued good health...and good dancing!
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

Joanne 814
Facebook Username: Joanne Flynn Hoerrner

Postby Joanne 814 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:14 am

WOW! I have been concerned about this for a while. I go for 2 year out from treatment next week. I feel great, but am quick to not feel cured or act as such. Worried about the bad juju. I want to be ok, and hope and pray so. I feel great, but after reading this realize that means nothing in the world of recurrance.

My fingers and toes are crossed for all of us in this boat. I try not to let it get the best of me, but it's hard.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!

ONWARD!

Joanne
Dx: Nov 07 @ age 43
Stage IIIC, RCa
Colon Resection: Nov 07, 4 of 27 LN
Chemo/Radiation: 28 treatments w/constant 5FU (Jan-Feb 08)
Chemo: Folfox, 12 cycles (Mar-Aug 08) DONE 8-8-08
CT Scan 1-09 NED

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:24 am

Maybe I need to add to my above post. I think that any cancer survivor is probably always looking behind them waiting for the other shoe to drop. With an original diagnosis of stage 3c rectal cancer I would have been naive to think that it would definitely not come back. Every ache or pain was always cause for concern. But deep down I thought, along with my oncologist, that things were going great.

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

John603

Postby John603 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:09 pm

Bonnie,

Are you worried about a recurrence at the original site or are you concerned that the cancer has metasticized to another location?
John

Dx Stage IIIC (14 of 36 LNs +) Jan 07, age 42
Colectomy Jan 07
Folfox + Erb'x Mar 07
Recurrence in Lymph Nodes Feb 08
Folfiri + Avastin Apr 08
NED Dec 08
Recurrence in lungs & pelvic LNs May 09
Folfiri/Avastin May 09 - Nov 09
Erb'x/Irino Dec 09

Bonnie D.

Postby Bonnie D. » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:30 pm

John,
I was hoping that everyone had some inkling of a recurrence. That they weren't feeling 100%, that something wasn't operating quite right, that there was a clue of some sort, like Tammy described. As I mentioned, with my original diagnosis I knew something was wrong long before the doctors found it, so I was thinking that since I feel so great right now that there couldn't possibly be anything going on inside of me that I can't detect..... right?

Ann,
You were in the exact same spot that I am right now. Your story is the one I was hoping didn't happen. I'm so sorry you got thrown back into the game. Same for CRguy and Phuong. The Life Referee should have called "off-sides!"

I totally agree with Joanne:
Joanne 814 wrote:WOW! I have been concerned about this for a while. I go for 2 year out from treatment next week. I feel great, but am quick to not feel cured or act as such. Worried about the bad juju. I want to be ok, and hope and pray so. I feel great, but after reading this realize that means nothing in the world of recurrence.

My fingers and toes are crossed for all of us in this boat. I try not to let it get the best of me, but it's hard.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!

ONWARD!

Joanne

My sediments exactly,
Bonnie D.
Bonnie D.
D=Diarrhea This was my middle name during chemo. Thankfully that's over.
Stage III with 7 lymph nodes positive
Diag: 12/07
Colon Resection: 3/08
Chemo: Folfox Finished 10/08

Joanne 814
Facebook Username: Joanne Flynn Hoerrner

Postby Joanne 814 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:37 pm

Thanks Bonnie and all. Bonnie we are pretty similar in our diagnosis, and yes, I had just about complete blockage from a tumor and went seeking help. So feeling good is great, but doesn't necessarily mean I am still clean. You are right, all us III's are waiting on that other shoe to drop. I know being 2 years out I am in prime time recurrance land, so I am hoping and praying that I am still ok.

Good LUCK!!

ONWARD!!

Joanne
Dx: Nov 07 @ age 43
Stage IIIC, RCa
Colon Resection: Nov 07, 4 of 27 LN
Chemo/Radiation: 28 treatments w/constant 5FU (Jan-Feb 08)
Chemo: Folfox, 12 cycles (Mar-Aug 08) DONE 8-8-08
CT Scan 1-09 NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”