Do I have it?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
LauraE.

Do I have it?

Postby LauraE. » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:15 pm

I haven't had a bowl movement in 7 days. The first evening I thought I had to but when I went to the bathroom all that came out was pus or white mucus stuff (sorry its so TMI) and a good bit of it. I haven't felt the need to have a BM since then and I am in no pain. But I normally suffer from IBS and normally spicy foods set me off. Well I've been eating spicy foods on purpose and haven't had any result. I've been drinking apple juice and eating apples and eating a ton of oat meal and still no result. I've also been taking stool softeners for 4 days (2 a day for the last 2 days) and still no result. I have made an apt but just wanting a second opinion in case... What could be wrong? I am able to pass gas and actually have the need to do that often(which is odd). I only mentioned it because when I was pregnant a year ago that was a big deal if I could do that even without having a bm (after my c-section) then they would let me go home. Please help I am very worried! Thanks, Laura

p.s. previously I have seen blood in my stools. but I also have hemroids.

missjv

Postby missjv » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:22 pm

wow,
i would go get checked 7 days is along time, i would be worried about some kind of blockage. i would call doc or go to er right away. you got to be so bloated and uncomfortable. have you tried laxatives? drink lots of water, but go see doc and get checked.

missjv

LauraE.

whats weird...

Postby LauraE. » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:01 pm

Actually no I am not in any discomfort and I am not bloated.. I have taken laxatives (stool softeners) for the last 4 days and on the last 2 days I doubled up on the dose!

Thanks for the input though.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:46 pm

Definately see your doctor. It may not be cancer, but it should be evaluated.

LauraE.

:(

Postby LauraE. » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:04 pm

Thanks!
Just got back from the Dr. I am scheduled for some sort of enema/xray? And a colonoscopy. What are those like anyway? Im pretty modest and avoid GYN apts so I am not looking foward to either of these :(

blondi1984

Postby blondi1984 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:23 pm

I know how scared you must be. Are they putting you under or anything for this procedure? I would suggest a slight sedation. Worked well for me and I wouldn't be nervous. Especially if you have sedation, you won't remember a thing.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:21 pm

A barium enema is an enema with special fluid that shows up on x-ray. It will show a clear picture of the inside of the colon. You will have to clean out your colon first by not eating for several hours and taking laxatives.

A colonoscopy uses a camera on a long tube to look inside. That requires the same kind of prep as a barium enema. The colonoscopy is pretty much always done with sedation. You barely even know they're doing it. The sedation is quite effective. I was so relaxed they ran that hose up my rear end and I really didn't care. .

LA8

Postby LA8 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:52 am

Hi, Laura. I'll second Magnolia is saying that those two procedures are no big deal once you've had them. I had my 2nd Colonoscopy on Friday and it was a breeze. The drugs they give you make you realize why there are so many addicts out there :lol: And if you watch everything on the TV screen it can be quite interesting. They even gave me a picture (anyone who wants to see it please pm me). Also, there are loads of people who go weeks without a BM (hours in my case) so try not to worry too much.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:46 am

LA8, This may sound strange, but my GI doc told me right after the procedure that he found a "highly suspicious mass" in my colon, and I needed surgery right away. I was so blissed out on the sedation that, although I knew exactly what he was talking about, it was about two hours before I actually gave a rat's patoot. When my husband had his scope, his results were fine and we went out to lunch to celebrate. Several months later I mentioned the restaraunt, and he had no recollection of any of it.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”