Overly Depressed

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
july181998

Overly Depressed

Postby july181998 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:56 am

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on the boards in a couple of months, due to a lot of medical issues that I've had to address. Just a bit of background, I am 35, and both my dad and sister died from colon cancer at very young ages (41 & 28). I have had 7 colonoscopies, and with all of them I have had polyps. In May 2006, I had the genetic testing done, and I am positive for AFAP. In August 2006, I noticed a lump on the top of my left foot, and my doctor ordered a MRI. The lump on the top of my foot, was a benign tumor. It's linked to the polyps. I was diagnosed with Gardner's Syndrome. With this being said, I am having my colon removed hopefully by July or August of this year. At this point, I am not sure which pouch is best. I am meeting with three different board certified colon-rectal surgeons over the next two weeks. I am overly depressed and just don't know what to expect. I've only been working at my company for 1 1/2 years, and I am not sure whether to apply for short term disability, which doesn't guarantee my job, or FMLA, which does, because at this time, I really can't afford to be off without any income. For those who have experienced some of what I am going through, I'm hoping you can give me some words of wisdom and keep me in your prayers.

Thanks,

July

johnnys84

Postby johnnys84 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:01 pm

OHH another one of us FAP(ers). Hi I know actually what you are talking about, about work. I was diagnosed in June 06 did the chemo and radiation thing through august and september, and surgery in October. I ended up being out of work for just under two months. ( I have a K-pouch). In January my valve started to fail, in early march 07 i went back into the hospital for a revision of the valve. I just came back to work on thursday. My office was great in that they continued to pay me while I was home recovering (both times), but there is a really weird vibe around the office, I feel like no one is giving me anything to do because they dont know if i will be here for a while or will need to go back in the hospital again, I honestly cant describe it. I guess I am not being that much help. but just to give you an idea about recovery, since I can do that, you should be in the hospital for about a week, and approx 6-8 weeks home recovering. Sorry I was not that much help but if you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.
JJS

Diagnosed June 30, 2006 Stage II colorectal cancer (familial polyposis) 30 years old
October 27, 2006 Total Colectomy and K-pouch
March 9, 2007 K-pouch revision

blondi1084

Response

Postby blondi1084 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:20 pm

I know how you must feel. I'm 23 years old and was just married in Sept of last year. We just found out that I have rectal cancer in January. Well, needless to say, this isn't how we planned on spending our first year of marriage. As far as a pouch, I can't be much of a help. I have a temporary ileostomy that will be reversed hopefully by the end of the year. I have heard good things about the K-pouch though. You might want to research it. It would have been my choice. If you have any further questions, please ask!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”