Trip to the ER on vacation...fun

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jmarie
Facebook Username: Jessica Ramos Smith

Trip to the ER on vacation...fun

Postby jmarie » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:24 pm

So some of youmay have seen my other thread, I was having some pain on the lower half of my sternum mainly when taking deep breaths or rolling over in bed. It was only bothering me a few times a day briefly and then going away, it wasn't bad enough to cause too much concern. Then Yesterday I woke up my entire rib cage was in extreme pain, I couldn't take but quick short breaths. It feels like the same pain as when my sciatic nerve acts up, only in my sternum/ribcage. I sat up, it took 2-3 minutes to subside but the pain in my sternum continued throughout the day. By the time I had decided it was serious enough to call my Onc it was too late to call due to the time change. So I dealt with it through the night and called this morning. Of course they said to go to the ER and scolded me for not calling sooner. Their main concern was a pulmonary embolizm(sp) which I had not thought about. I was really scared that the pain was from my lung mets or the iffy bone spot they have been watching. So after 3 hrs I finally get in for a chest CT and everything looked good. No P.E., no clots, no pnuemonia, no sign of a bone met or any fractured ribs. Unfortunately no explanation of whats causing the pain. They said just to take some pain meds as needed and follow up with my Onc at home. At least I can rest a little better the rest of my trip knowing the pain isn't caused by anything life threatening 8)

I ws so proud that I had gone 18 mos w/out being in the hospital and I broke that streak. Nothing like going to the ER while on vacation but at least I didn't need to be admitted. My husband was freaked out because he had to leave to go home this morning because he needs to go back to work. He was boarding his flight when I called to tell him I had to go to the ER, he wasn't too happy with me. But it turned out ok, just a waste of $250 for my copay.
Last edited by jmarie on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DX Stage IV 11/25/08
mets liver lung, kras mutant
Baby 2yrs old! I am 32yrs
Too many chemo txs to count
trying to find a clinical trial
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

clarabelle64
Facebook Username: claire beaumont

Re: Trip to the ER on vacation...fun

Postby clarabelle64 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:38 am

Dear Jessica

So sorry to hear about your needing to visit the ER...but awfully glad it was nothing to worry about. How are you coping on the trial? Deborah seems to be doing OK but it's early days yet...she was telling me yesterday she had a very sore mouth so that's the next thing on the agenda, to get some relief for that, horrible having mouth sores! Hope all is well with you and the little sweetie Liliana.
Clarabelle
Clarabelle, Mother of Deborah who has CC with mets to liver + lungs.
Has been on Folfiri then 5FU + Oxi
Lung Mets progressed
Currently on Intravenous Vit C + diet + supplements
My darling girl passed away 18.8.2011

Kathleen808

Postby Kathleen808 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:19 am

jmarie,
Sorry you were in such pain but great that the CAT didn't show anything. I hope you get to enjoy the rest of your vacation!!!

Aloha,
Kathleen
Kathleen
DH 1/09 3c 51yr rsct
Folfx 3/09
1 l nd 9/09 Flfri Avstn
PET clr 6/10
Folfri Avstn 7/10
ND 10/10
1/11 lng mets Flfri Avastn
ND 2/12
9/12 Flfri Avastn
10/12 grwth lng mts Erbtx Avstn Irintcn
1/13 stabl
9/13 grwth
8/16/14 passed into eternal peace

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:36 am

Jessica,

Two things come to mind when you posted. The first is that you could have pleurisy. I've had it and it hurts like HECK! You can only take shallow breaths, hurts to breathe, etc. I have no idea if it is 'detectable' on a CT scan. The way it was explained to me is that it inflammation of the lining of the cavity that surrounds the lung. This may be one possibility of what you have, although I really do believe that they can detect it with a stethoscope.

The second thing that comes to mind is that you may have something called costochondritis (sp??). I have it from time to time....don't know what 'causes' it or what 'brings it on". It causes some severe pain in the sternum....basically right between the breasts....and man does the pain hurt. It's another inflammation thing in the cartilage that connects the ribs together. The first time I had an 'attack' of it, I truly thought I was having a heart attack. Couldn't take a deep breath, pain was so sharp and just overall was very scarey. You can have pain when you roll over or sit up. Usually, if this is your problem, pressing on the sternum will cause some mighty darn uncomfortable pain.

Just two things to think about.... If it is costochondritis, some anti inflammatory pills usually do the trick.

Have a good time on the rest of your vacation. Hope you enjoy.

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:42 am

Well, something was causing the pain - they just couldn't figure out what it was. I'm so sorry this happened to you on vacation. Hopefully it will go away - and if not, lets hope your docs back home can figure it out.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:57 am

jmarie,

Enough excitement on your holidays .... OK ???? Glad you got checked out and nothing major, but keep takin' care of yourself and enjoy the visit !!

lil' D and "Atta" say HI :D

Cheers and best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Sinfulsot
Facebook Username: Given Upon Request

Postby Sinfulsot » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:09 am

jmarie wrote: Nothing like going to the ER while on vacation but at least I didn't need to be admitted. My husband was freaked out because he had to leave to go home this morning because he needs to go back to work. He was boarding his flight when I called to tell him I had to go to the ER, he wasn't too happy with me. But it turned out ok, just a waste of $250 for my copay.

i thought spending my wedding anniversary starting in OR, getting admitted, but then released on the same day was fun
And now something so wonderful, you could get wonderful poisoning.

karin
Facebook Username: Karin Tobin Fagner

Postby karin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:24 pm

jmarie:
i'm so happy to hear from you but unhappy that you have this weird rib pain??!! I'm glad it's not a p.e. :? Take care of yourself and keep us updated when you can!!
Luv and hugs,
Karin
Karin
BFF dx'd June09 w CRC & peritoneal mucinous carcinomatosis @ age 40
She beat cancer for 20 months!

Bonnie D.

Postby Bonnie D. » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:51 pm

I really hate being told that there's no explanation. It's like being told that the problem is all in your head. You know your body better than anyone and you know there's still a problem. I hope someone is able to find the cause soon and provide the proper relief. Jaynee brought up some good points which even caused me to reevaluate my own sternum pain.... I do hope the problem doesn't interrupt your vacation again, but mostly I hope you get the answers you seek.
Bonnie D.
Bonnie D.
D=Diarrhea This was my middle name during chemo. Thankfully that's over.
Stage III with 7 lymph nodes positive
Diag: 12/07
Colon Resection: 3/08
Chemo: Folfox Finished 10/08

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”