Cyclists and bags...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Bill5107

Cyclists and bags...

Postby Bill5107 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:36 am

I'm a bit premature worrying about this as I'm not looking at surgery for at least 12 weeks....

...but it is likely I'll have a permanent bag. Radiologist insists on playing for the chance I won't, but of course that's the difference between hoping and planning.

So my idle question for our biking members is this:
1. How does a bag affect biking? Street vs mountain biking too? What about falls and accidents?

2. More generally how does it affect outdoor activities like hiking, backpacking, canoeing, skiing and the like?
2010-07-02 Dx rectal cancer (Stage 3)
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
'-10-13 APR surgery, 10/18 nodes still active
'-11-22 12x2wk rnds FOLFOX
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

BrownBagger

Re: Cyclists and bags...

Postby BrownBagger » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:57 am

Bill5107 wrote:I'm a bit premature worrying about this as I'm not looking at surgery for at least 12 weeks....

...but it is likely I'll have a permanent bag. Radiologist insists on playing for the chance I won't, but of course that's the difference between hoping and planning.

So my idle question for our biking members is this:
1. How does a bag affect biking? Street vs mountain biking too? What about falls and accidents?

2. More generally how does it affect outdoor activities like hiking, backpacking, canoeing, skiing and the like?

I biked for awhile with the bag (ileostomy) and it wasn't bad. The biggest problem I had, since it was August, was staying hydrated and electrolyted. Without the benefit of a colon, a good share of the water and goodies go right into the bag rather than being absorbed through the colon. So you have to watch it. I drink pickle juice for the electrolytes (still do), and it works pretty well.

The only other problem is a wardrobe issue. The bag gets in the way of some garments, most notably shorts and pants. If you have a permanent ostomy, you'll probably get better placement than those of us who had temps. Insist on it. You just have to figure out what to wear and how best to wear it. Not a huge obstacle in the big scheme of things.

I was afraid that the sweating and movement would compromise the seal on my bag installations, but that turned out not to be the case. I needed to change the bag about every 5 days, regardless of my activity. What you eat has a greater impact on bag integrity than anything else, I think.

Falling? It's just like anything else--if you fall directly on the bag I suppose it could break or the seal could blow out. So try not to fall down. A good friend of mine has a permanent ileostomy, and has had it for the past 25 years. He said at first he was afraid to XC ski because he thought he might fall and blow it out. Typically in skiing you fall on your ass, not your stomach. If you think about how you would have to fall to compromise the bag, it's pretty unlikely, especially if you know what to avoid.

As you may have discovered, I advocate exercise under any conditions, so I would certainly encourage you to go forth with confidence--bag or no bag.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:02 am

I actually found that it was easier camping and hiking with the pouch than without. You just bring different supplies. The sweat factor is something to be in tune with - some people find that they have to change the appliance more frequently when they sweat a lot but you will find your "norm" and be able to gauge appropriately. I read an article in the UOAA magazine about a woman who is an ostomate who hiked the entire Appalachian Trail.

Skiing - both X-C and alpine - no problems at all. Sure, concern for a fall, but actually with alpine you've typically got some extra clothing protection.

With the ileostomy - I echo the concerns of BB about staying hydrated. That is apparently less of a concern with the colostomy. Again though, you'll find the "norm" for you and be able to adjust food, hydration, and electrolyte intake accordingly

SBL
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:10 am

Bill5107 wrote:So my idle question for our biking members is this:

Well - actually - my permanent colostomy as a result of rectal cancer hasn't impacted my ability to bike at all.
What has impacted it are the after-effects of the APR. I just haven't been able to find a comfortable seat. I had quite a bit of surgical scavenging in the pelvic floor, and that's left the seat area pretty sensitive - no more hard benches, etc. Bike seats drive me insane for any length or distance, and rough rides are torture.

Otherwise - I hike when I can, camp when I can (in a primitive vintage tiny travel trailer.) I don't canoe or kayak, but I didn't do much of that before. I have issues with sitting for long times, so I suspect that would come into play in a canoe or kayak. ;) I don't ski, but again, I wouldn't anticipate any problems.

A permanent colostomy will likely be placed lower and the bag can easily be stabilized in shorts and underwear. Hope that helps.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

Bill5107

Postby Bill5107 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:50 am

Thanks guys. That's probably what I was wondering most about. The rest will come in time, as/if needed. I can rest assured that I can still just put it out of my mind for now as something that will just turn out in it's own time.
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

Rotorhead

Postby Rotorhead » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:14 am

It doesn't affect it. I ride to work, train for and run tris, and trailride single track. Not an issue, at all.

You will find your own solutions to any challenges but there is none that can't be overcome.

-RH
Diagnosed Stage 3 rectal cancer 11/07
chemo/rad 12/07-1/08; TME surgery 2/08
Post-surgery chemo 4/08 - 9/08 FOLFOX
CAT scan DEC 08 shows NED!
My blog: http://rotorheadsblog.blogspot.com/

Bill5107

Postby Bill5107 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:16 pm

@ RotorHead: Whoot! I love the singletrack! Thanks for the note.
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Hey Bill-

Check out Get Your Guts in Gear. www.ibdride.org. :)

530jgs
Facebook Username: 530jgs

Postby 530jgs » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:35 am

i am late replying. i was able to do a 100k ride a week before my ileostomy reversal. my wife and i snorkled in hawaii with my bag. it was really a pain to have it but learned to live life with it. my wife found this website for me and actually bought me a couple of wraps that helped support my bag during heavy exercise. they worked pretty well. here is a link to that website. best wishes for a speedy recovery....jim
http://www.ostomysecrets.com/wraps.php

stage 111 rectal cancer
rad xeloda
laparoscopic lar
xelox
ileostomy reversal 3 months ago.
going on a 40 mile bike ride this am

Bill5107

Postby Bill5107 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks Jim

this was not a timed quiz :-p

I'm encouraged by all the active folks here with bags.
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

Bill5107

Postby Bill5107 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:27 pm

Molly wrote:Hey Bill-

Check out Get Your Guts in Gear. http://www.ibdride.org. :)

hey! How'd I miss this?

I KNOW I could do a centenial ride...400 I find daunting to even think about, but at about 210 miles, I think I could easily see doing that with moderate training. The $1800 fundraising entrance requirement seems daunting though! lol
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”