Discomforts following Oxaliplatin and 5-FU

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mamamuggs

Discomforts following Oxaliplatin and 5-FU

Postby mamamuggs » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:55 am

My husband was dx 2-27-07 with stage 3 CC and had a Right Hemi-colectomy. He just finished tx #2 (2 hour infusion of Oxaliplatin then 46 hour pump with 5FU) and is doing well except for a painful anal rash following bm's. He is also beginning to get a bitter taste at the back of his tongue. We know his side effects will worsen and possibly differ with each treatment but are there any suggestions for his current discomfort: Creams, lotions, powders, dietary suggestions? He is working and carrying out normal activities and would like to continue this as much as possible.

sean

Postby sean » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:05 pm

Never had and never heard of the rash. It may be unrelated, but I would call the chemo or collaborative nurse to find out if it is an allergic reaction. Diaper rash ointment always works for me for irritation down there.

My 4th cycle of FOLFOX4 starts tomorrow & the third was the one the cold sensitivity really kicked in. Just keep winter gloves & warm socks handy in case your husband's gets intense. I also carry my water in my pocket so it is body temperature.

Everyone seems to react to oxilaplatin differently. My third cycle actually ended up as my easiest because they adjusted all my nausea medications, they fixed a stomach cramping problem (also meds), I found the right sleep medication, and I had gotten used to the weird side effects.

I have a metallic taste in my mouth almost all the time now. I wouldn't worry.

Good luck!
42 - dx Jan 3 2007 stage IIA colon
9 FOLFOX4, 3 5-FU completed Sep 24 2007
Blockage symptoms, Negative Colonoscopy, Positive PET Oct 2009
2nd Resection Oct 2009 - Suspected Local Recurrence was Negative

aliveat35

Postby aliveat35 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:17 pm

I started same chemo regiment as your husband in October. The 5FU and/or oxcillaplatin gave me really bad diarrhea which did cause extreme pain down there. I would cry when I had a BM. It was just very, very raw.
If this sounds familiar, ask your doctor about cholesteromanine. It helps make BM's less acidic and it really helped me through some tough times. It is a powder that you mix with liquid like Metamucil.

I wish your husband all the best. Stay positive.

mamamuggs

Discomfort with Oxaliplatin and 5FU

Postby mamamuggs » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:04 pm

Thanks for responding so quickly! We are trying Tucks pads and Balmex for now and will discuss further meds (cholesteromanine) with our oncologist.

I am glad I stumbled onto this site! It's such a gift when people share their stories, both successes and not so successful, to help others.

Many prayers for peace, healing and good health to all!

Mary316

Postby Mary316 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:50 pm

I am having the same sort of problems. Very raw down there and getting hemmorhoids very easily as well. Trying to find the solution so that it is not so painful to sit, and even walk sometimes....

Mary
Diagnosed Stage IIIC 2-08-07
Resection 2-09-07
Started Chemo 3-16-07

notgivingup

pain

Postby notgivingup » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:36 pm

I am really glad I can help here! I found relief from the anus pain that really works. You know that Lidocaine cream they give you for when they are going to stick your portacath....after a few of those very painful BM's, I just coated myself. Twenty minutes later...nice and numb.

Jeremiah

T

Postby Jeremiah » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:50 pm

I had the bitter taste in my mouth for a long time but it did go away. I expect his will go away as well. If he has numbness in his fingers and toes that might go away as well. I had lots of trouble and pain from this but it has diminished a bit in the past year, though it has not completely gone away yet.

Mary316

Postby Mary316 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:10 am

I have that lidocaine cream and last night, when I couldn't sleep, I was really tempted to use it. Except, I only have a really small tube of it. I guess I could just ask my oncologist to prescribe more. I will try anything to feel comfort. Its driving me crazy.

Megan

Anal pain after diarhea

Postby Megan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:27 pm

I've also found that to keep the discomfort at bay I use some of the pre-moistened kleenex tissue wipes. They are essentially like baby wipes for adults, but they are a little gentler down there.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”