Desperately seeking support....

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
margotmagoo

Desperately seeking support....

Postby margotmagoo » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:26 pm

I first would like to say that my goal was to offer support and encouragement to as many people on this sight as I could. I have dropped off for quite a while and feel way out of the loop on what is going on with everyone. I am hoping to make up for my lack of involvement soon but am asking for good thoughts at this time. March 2nd, a friend lost his 4 year battle with colon cancer, March 6th I had hernia surgery at which time a large mass (over 6 inches) was discovered on my ovary, April 16th I will be undergoing a hysterectomy at the age of 41 (the mass will be biopsied during surgery--I am hoping desperately for a benign result) Two weeks ago my CEA was up to 7.7 and CA-125 was 29 (in normal range). Now my CEA is 7.4 and CA-125 up to 41 (just over normal range). My mass is so large that I look pregnant. Meanwhile, my dad's bladder cancer has spread to bone and lymphs and he also has a form of leukemia. He is now trying treatment to prolong life. I pray for my family as they have been through so much with me and my dad. I pray for everyone who visits this message board. Please keep me in good thoughts and if anyone has any experience to offer I would be most grateful.
Live strong to move on....
Margot
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"
Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

meighan

Postby meighan » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:07 pm

oh Margot I am so sorry to hear all you are going through right now. Please know of course we are out here and offering you good thoughts and support. I will be thinking of you on monday and praying for benign results. I saw your other post and although i don't have personal experience i was glad to see the support you got there. Keep us posted and with all you have on your plate at this time please find moments to be kind to yourself.... you are one strong soul don't forget it :D

Monique

Postby Monique » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:20 pm

Hi Margot,

First, I am sending you good thoughts. Second, I was so sorry to read about your friend passing. I know that whenever I hear of someone succumbing to colon cancer I feel incredibly shaken, so I can imagine how you must feel. Third, I am so sorry to hear about your dad. My father is also succumbing to a life threatening illness and, in relation to my own diagnosis of colon cancer, I feel very much like you—how can my family be subjected to so much in such a short period of time? It just doesn’t seem fair.

Third, I remember reading on another site that many, many women have ovarian masses, usually benign. Unfortunately, when diagnosed with cancer, issues such as your latest cause a great deal of panic and worry. When is your surgery? Whatever the outcome it is good that the mass was discovered and can be taken care of as soon as possible.

I often find that taking life one day at a time seems to help. However, there are times when things seem to stack up, and one can feel quite overwhelmed. Try and hang in there. As I said, I am sending you warm thoughts.

Best,
Monique

missjv

Postby missjv » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:45 am

hi margot,
sending good thoughts your way. i also had a large ovarian mass and had a hysterectomy and all was benign. it was 7 months after that i found out i had stage 4 cc but the ovary thing while looking very ominus on scans was nothing more then an ugly non cancerous growth. the hysterectomy is not a big deal as far as surgery goes i healed rather quickly it was the going through menopause crap at age 38 that was the bummer but im over that now. good luck im praying everything turns out to be nothing to worry about.
missjv

pjpeace

Postby pjpeace » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:20 pm

Oh my goodness girl...you have got your share of the load. The very day I told my best friend I was DX she got a call that she had an irregular pap smear. It turned out ok but they are keeping a close eye on her b/c of her family history. I'll be praying for you and your family. My heart goes out to you guys.

Best luck for your surgery. The power of prayer is an amazing thing. Let us know when you can how everything goes.
"When you've been abandoned in the desert and the vultures are circling and squawking at you...raise you fist at them and yell "I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!"
Stage IV @ 30 yrs. 6/06 Ms. April 2008
Recurrence to pancreas 2/09 & 6/10

cary

Support

Postby cary » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:20 pm

Hi Margot,

You have a big job to handle right now so hang in there. My wife had a hysterectomy at about 47, also due to a huge tumor (hers was fibroid type causing much pain and bloatedness). She is much relieved now and experiencing everything life brings.

Stay Strong--I hope you & your father pull through OK.
Riding for Life...and a cure for cancer

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:24 pm

You have a lot to deal with. I will send positive thoughts your way. My friend had a hysterectomy about 3 years ago due to abnormal growths. She rushed into going back to work and one day fell in the stairwell at work. Very painful. Be sure to follow your docotr's instructions for how long you should be out of commission - my friend was supposed to be out for 8 weeks, but she came back after only 4. Rest, rest, rest....as hard as it may feel. Good luck with your surgery.
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:09 pm

Thank you, Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. I feel so much better now after reading your messages filled with warm thoughts. Surgery is tomorrow so I am fasting and getting ready to gag down the dreaded bowel prep...ICK!!! I am focusing on a positive outcome and visualizing good health and healing. Looking forward to connecting with you when I return....Be well, all of you, and I will be back!!
Fondly, Margot
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"

Carolyn JB

Postby Carolyn JB » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:12 pm

Margot,

I am senidng you many positive thoughts for your surgery tomorrow!

Carolyn

tandy24
Facebook Username: Lisa Tandy

Postby tandy24 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:56 pm

You and your father are in my prayers, I am also very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. What a battle you are going through.
Believe in the power of prayer and put your troubles at God's feet.
I am stage 3b and had a hysterectomy when I had my colon resection surgery in Aug. 06 because the cancer was so close to my ovary's ect. I also had a mass on my ovary as well when I had the hystectomy done and it was not cancer. Good luck with everything, I wish you all the best.
God Bless and Believe,

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:05 pm

Margot,

I am sending positive vibes and prayers your way. I hate that disgusting pre-surgery go lightly bowel prep. You are probably well into it now.

I was also sorry to read about your friend and all of the health complications that your father is having. Please know that you will thought of fondly tomorrow.

Please let us know how everything goes. I will keep my fingers crossed for the best outcome.

Sincerely,
Miss Kim
dx 06/03 stage 4 cc, dx 03/07 papillary carcinoma thyroid cancer
"Live Life to Its Fullest!!!"

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:07 pm

Just wanted to update you all.....And thank you all for your reponses, advise, and wonderful support. It truly helped but I am sad to say that my cancer is back. April 16th I had surgery to remove super-sized ovarian cysts (9"x7"x7" and the other was tennis ball size) I had a 6 day hospital stay. They turned out to be malignant. I was so sure they would be benign. I am pissed, disappointed, and frustrated since it has only been 8 months since I finished Folfox. I thought I was doing so well. I wanted to have a carefree summer with my kids since last year sucked. The staging showed that the cancer was confined to just the ovaries but I am at high risk of it appearing elsewhere. I feel like a ticking time bomb. I am leaving this Monday for Johns Hopkins in Baltimore to see the Director of Gynecological Oncology for a second opinion as to what steps I should take. So far Avastin and Folfiri were recommended but I have No Measurable Disease since I was successfully resected. Apparently there are no studies to show what to do with me but my sister found a study being done at Johns Hopkins on pre-menopausal women with colon cancer that went only to the ovaries. So off I go, still recovering from surgery, to see what they have to say.
Any thoughts or similar experience???? Thank you and my best to all who continue with treatments and survivorship....
Margot

sue

ovaries

Postby sue » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:58 pm

I am so sorry Margot.
Please keep us posted what you find out!
I am pryaing for you!
Oct 2003 surgery 36 weeks 5FU

Dec 2006-mets to liver and lymph nodes (stage 1V ) Had liver resection/radiation/chemo

2008 nodes on lungs started FOLFOX4, 5FU/leucovorin, avastin. After 10 cycles no change

Oct 2008 started 5-FU

May 2009-Folfox4

justme

Postby justme » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 pm

I was so sorry to hear your news. Know that there is alot of people out here rooting for you. And you have every right to be mad and everything you feel is okay.....
Many hugs and many, many prayers to you...
stage IV c/c @ 43
cancer can not invade my soul, nor will it conquer my spirit....

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Tue May 01, 2007 12:03 am

Margot,

I was very sorry to read that the ovarian masses were malignant. You have a right to be mad. I think I spent all of March this year MAD at my situation (I was diagnosed with papillary carcinoma thyroid cancer).

Life is not fair and this news of yours really stinks. Please know that I will be sending warm thoughts, positive vibes, and prayers your way.

I will be interested to read what you find out at John Hopkins. My original cc mets were to my right ovary. When I was diagnosed in 6/03 the doctors just kept commenting on how odd it was that my mets were on the right ovary.

Hang in there and know that I am rooting for you.

Most sincerely,
Miss Kim
dx 06/03 stage 4 cc, dx 03/07 papillary carcinoma thyroid cancer

"Live Life to Its Fullest!!!"

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”