Blankets for Patients in Military Hospitals

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Surroundedbylove

Blankets for Patients in Military Hospitals

Postby Surroundedbylove » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:25 am

Hello all,

I just saw this post on Facebook from the sister of our own "LiveSassy" (Kim) who died December 31, 2009. Kim was a friend of mine long before we both encountered rectal cancer. We were diagnosed within 4 months of each other and her journey ended last year. Kim was treated at military hospitals and learned that they did not have comfy "chemo blankets" for their patients like the civilian hospitals where most of us are treated. She started to buy blankets to share and her family has continued that effort after her death as people wanted to do the same for other cancer patients at military hospitals. All of us who have had oxi know that staying warm during the infusion really helps. So many other types of chemo result in people needing warm blankets. Please consider a donation to this very focused group to help get blankets into the military hospitals - one blanket at a time, hospital by hospital.

39 For 39Share
Yesterday at 9:47pm

From Lara M. Ryan:

Today, June 30th, would have been Kim's 39th birthday. It also marks six months to the day that I lost my dear sister, my best friend, to cancer. Kim was diagnosed with stage 4 colorectal cancer in August of 2008 and passed away on December 31, 2009, after a courageous 18-month battle.

It has been a difficult six months for me and my family. We have experienced many "firsts" without Kim ... the first New Year's, the first Super Bowl (Kim loved a good football game), the first Valentine's Day, Easter, Mother's Day and Father's Day. Today is just one more milestone we face as this is the first birthday Kim is not with us to celebrate. It seems only yesterday that Kim was taken from us, and days like today are especially hard. It re-emphasizes the time that has passed since I last heard her voice and her laugh, shared a story, looked to her for advice, hugged her, and saw her ever-present, infamous, ear-to-ear, toothy smile.

Over the years we have exchanged many gifts with one another — toys, books, Barbies, dolls, clothes, gift certificates ... and, a blanket: a blanket that Kim carried with her to each hospital visit and chemotherapy session. It was never very far from her and we laughed that as I teased her about becoming the Peanuts character, Linus. I believe the blanket gave her far more than physical warmth. It gave her a sense of her family, a sense of her animals that she loved so dear, a sense of home, and most of all, it gave her comfort and calmness.

Before her passing, Kim's vision was to help provide that same sense of comfort to her fellow patients who were enduring chemotherapy at Fort Bragg's Womack Army Medical Center by giving each patient their own cozy blanket. Thanks to you, we were able to fulfill Kim's vision and deliver 120 blankets to Womack on January 20, 2010. With the remaining blankets donated, our goal is to expand upon her vision and bring comfort to chemotherapy patients all over the United States, which is why the Kimberly A, Hansen Comfy for Chemo Foundation was formed.

In loving memory of Kim and in honor of her 39th birthday, we have launched the 39 for 39 campaign — 39 blankets for Kim's 39th birthday. Our goal is to raise enough money to purchase at least 39 Comfy for Chemo blankets. Again, these blankets will be used to further Kim's vision of providing a sense of warmth and comfort to those undergoing chemotherapy treatments.

Please join me and make a donation to the Kimberly A. Hansen Comfy for Chemo Foundation as a tribute to Kim as we remember and honor her on what would have been her 39th birthday in a life cut all to short by cancer. Help us make life just a little more comfortable and cozy for those who are in the fight for their lives by making a donation using our new PayPal button or send a check payable to Comfy to Chemo to the following address:

Lara Ryan
13314 Queensbury Lane
Houston, TX 77079

Donation levels:
$27 — buys one blanket for a patient undergoing chemotherapy
$39 — in honor of Kim's 39th birthday
General donation — every dollar helps us in our effort to bring comfort to chemotherapy patients

Comfy for Chemo
Find our PayPal button at http://comfyforchemo.blogspot.com/
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”