Awake during colonoscopy?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ashlee H.

Awake during colonoscopy?

Postby Ashlee H. » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:29 pm

Colonoscopy completed today. He got the rest of the precancerous polyp out, so now just waiting for biopsy results. Nothing new was found. He said he'd see me in a year. I've have 3 colonoscopies with him within one year. On the first one, I woke up when he discovered the tumor and was talking about tattooing it. I never went back to sleep. It was very uncomfortable - actually painful. And, today....I woke up again for most of the procedure. He said next year I will be totally put out with a general. Has anyone else here woken up during their procedure? I got photos,which I always enjoy. It so strange they can give you a photo of your inners.

Ashlee
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

KellyBelle
Facebook Username: Kelly Davis Keeling

Re: Awake during colonoscopy?

Postby KellyBelle » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:38 pm

I was awake during my entire first colonoscopy --and talking the whole time. I saw the tumor, said "what's that?" and *bam* I was out like a light because they gave me more meds. Ever since that time, I get my colonoscopies in the hospital under proponol (the Michael Jackson drug). My GI doc said it was for him... apparently all my talking distracted him. :oops:

Fine by me... with the new drug I don't remember a thing!

Kelly
Diagnosed March, 2008
Stage IIIC
Colo-Anal Reconstructive Surgery April, 2008
Finished Folfox treatment November, 2008
NED! December 2008
NED! December 2011

Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.
~Grandma Moses

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:51 pm

I have always had propofol which does knock you out. BUT.........during the colonoscopy which found my tumor I came to screaming - they couldn't get past the tumor with the scope. Went back out nearly instantly - maybe because they gave me more juice, or maybe because the terminated the procedure (which they did.) I don't actually remember pain, just remember screaming for them to stop and someone telling me it was ok. Technically propofol is "conscious sedation" rather than general anesthesia, but in normal circumstances you certainly aren't conscious and that's the way I like it!
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

meeko

Postby meeko » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:58 pm

I woke up once during my first scope..painful! made some noise and went back out. I also woke up for my port placement...my face was covered up and i had oxygen mask on...hysteria and bam ..out again. I prefer being completely out I think!
rectal cancer 9/08
LAR 10/1/08
2nd surgery for peritonitis and abcess 10/08/08 w/ temp ileo
stage 2A (t3) N0/16 M0
total of 8 rounds of 5fu/Leucovoran-- 5/09
Reversal and Hysterectomy 10/09/09
Married, 2 daughters
So far ..so Good!

KimT

Postby KimT » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:09 pm

I woke up screaming for them to stop. It hurt. Alot. I won't do it again without general anesthesia.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:54 pm

My first one, when the found the tumor, was just me, the doctor and a nurse. Very intimate. I was semi-conscious during the whole thing, though I don't remember most of it. They also put an ultrasound on the tumor and I remember that hurt a lot.

My last scope, a few weeks ago, was with propofil. Room full of people. Out cold.

Fine by me. They found two polyps, both B-9.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:55 pm

betsydoglover wrote:I have always had propofol which does knock you out. .... Technically propofol is "conscious sedation" rather than general anesthesia, but in normal circumstances you certainly aren't conscious and that's the way I like it!

YOU GOTS IT RIGHT !!!!

AND in reality, the whole "conscious sedation" thing is a huge marketing issue because ....people HATE anesthesia / anesthetic/ being put under or out/ going to sleep, etc.etc.etc. As a vet, that is the Number ONE reason why folks may decline to have a pet treated proactively or aggressively for what they need sometimes...because of the fear of " GENERAL ANESTHETIC" !!!!

Inside scoop : when you are zonked on propofol...you are under light anesthesia. Just accept it, you are. Nobody should ever take anesthesia lightly or "routinely" ( hate that phrase..hate it...nothing is ROUTINE when you have a patient under an anesthetic...NOTHING...EVER. ...end of rant.) BUT there are many levels and variations of "sedation" "tranquilization", "anesthesia", 'neuroleptanalgesia" etc.... the only question is, do you trust your anesthesiologist and surgeon ????

If Yes..do it.
If NO...get outta there !

I have been zonked, awake, and I am sure, even more obnoxious than usual under scopings, but "in the end" as long as Doc can do his job properly, and get the results I need to maintain my health... do it.

Now if we could just get rid of the flying pink monkeys swinging rubber chickens after the chemo-Decadron buzz ...!

Cheers :mrgreen:
CRguy
Last edited by CRguy on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:03 pm

I'm awake during all of my procedures, the stuff just doesn't put me out. When I had my last port put in I told the anesthesiologist that it doesn't work and he said ya, ya basicly and blew me off. During the procedure he said you were right but I'm not giving you anymore. The good thing is that I"m so loopy and happy I could care less. I even told one guy how cute he was :oops: I'm so glad I never saw him again.

Glad everything else went well for you:)
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:23 pm

CRguy wrote:Inside scoop : when you are zonked on propofol...you are under light anesthesia. Just accept it, you are. Nobody should ever take anesthesia lightly or "routinely" ( hate that phrase..hate it...nothing is ROUTINE when you have a patient under an anesthatic...NOTHING...EVER. ...end of rant.) BUT there are many levels and variations of "sedation" "tranquilization", "anesthesia", 'neuroleptanalgesia" etc.... the only question is, do you trust your anesthesiologist and surgeon ????

I've had 3 colonoscopies with the same GI doc and like him a lot. My next one is scheduled for July 7. The other three were done outpatient at the hospital. This next one is being done at the Endoscopy Center (which is basically his office), an outparcel building on the hospital campus. Given th propofol sedation, and the fact that I will only be 4 weeks from my last Avastin treatment, should I be concerned that it is not being done at the hospital? Any questions I should ask?

Thanks.
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:13 pm

Ashlee :D :D :D

I am so happy you are through this and they got the rest of the sucker out! Way to go girl. Go eat some ice cream.

Love ya!

Bev

PS Had a good surgeon appt today (the first one I think!) They think it's starting to heal, and hate to be gross, but no pus today :D
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Is the GI doc aware of the possible bleeding complications of Avastin? That's the big one I would ask. Also, what about if they have to cut out some polyps and it doesn't heal properly, what risk does that play?
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

garbovatwin

Postby garbovatwin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:03 pm

I have woke up for all of them.

The first time they were pushing so hard on my abdomen trying to get a cecal volvulus moved so they could get the scope to the ileus.
(it was turned so much that time my appendix was somewhere above my navel).

The next time I was only out for the beginning and drifted in and out for the entire procedure.

The third time, I was awake throughout the entire thing. I don't recall it being painful, but it was uncomfortable to feel this thing making its way through the colon.

I have a resistance to versed and most anesthesia, even at the dentist...they have to keep using more.

They don't have to do a general, but I have never seen an anesthesiologist at a colonoscopy...the nurses use it, and perhaps some are hesitant to use enough. in the hands of an anesthesiologist, versed works just fine, even on me, because I have had it on other procedures and 'bonk' I didn't remember a thing.

Good luck on your results.
OUR world is worth saving
Question everything. Become your own Advocate.
When we find a cure for one cancer it will lead to a cure for ALL cancer
Crohn's Colitis
Rectal Mucosa Resection - Oct 2010
Rectal Surgery - Sep 2011
Stroke Sep 2012

Ashlee H.

Postby Ashlee H. » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Well, looks like I'm not alone - scary! I wonder if they were just standard colonoscopies if I would have stayed out. But having to remove polyps, tattoo polyps, etc., makes the procedure a lot longer. I'm beginning to wonder if that is what went wrong with my port installation. It took the doctor almost 1 1/2 hours and I was in so much pain. I kept complaining, he'd tell his assistants to give me more meds...but I never went under. I decided when I have the port out, as easy as the procedure is supposed to be, I want to be knocked out. Also, the Avastin question - most of you know my negative feelings about the drug. If it has caused nose bleeds, I'd be concerned if they are going to do any cutting during the colonoscopy. I'm also on blood thinners, but I just stop the pills 5 days before the procedures, and have had no problems when they remove the polyps.

I'm glad the doctor realized I'm a problem patient and I will never wake up during a colonoscopy again - now if I can just mentally get around doing the prep. I've found if I had GingerAle and/or orange/lemon drink mixed with the toxic drink, it goes down easier. But after so many glasses, my body just refuses to take in more and I get sick. But, lucky for me, I have discovered since the gall bladder was removed, I only have to drink 1/2 the awful solution and am totally cleaned out for the procedure. I think it also helps, two days before the prep, I stay to eating soft foods and stay away from meats and veggies - that alone has made a huge difference in the clean-up - absolutely no cramping.

Ashlee
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

jmarie
Facebook Username: Jessica Ramos Smith

Postby jmarie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:07 am

I have been out for all my scopes thankfully. For the first scope I woke up as they were rolling me out of the procedure room. My only memory was rolling by the GI doc on the phone. I heard him say "I have a 29yr old, prenatal patient, 26 weeks with colon cancer, I need this stat." I was so loopy that all I kept thinking to myself was damn it I am 30yrs old why do people keep saying 29? I had just turned 30 three days earlier. It wasn't until he walked up to my bed that I got that "OH $#!%" feeling. Now I think it is silly I heard him say cancer and I was worried about my age.
DX Stage IV 11/25/08
mets liver lung, kras mutant
Baby 2yrs old! I am 32yrs
Too many chemo txs to count
trying to find a clinical trial
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

seamonkey
Facebook Username: Darren Stiles

Postby seamonkey » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:23 am

I was awake during my colonscopy. They gave me Versed, but I was able to watch the procedure on the video screen and listen to the doctor and nurses. No pain at all. When they found the tumor I wasn't fully coherent, but coherent enough to know I was in trouble, based on the reaction of the medical staff. For port placement they gave me Versed again and a local, but it must have been a larger dose of Versed since I can't remember a thing.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”