Excessive Sweating?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Anji
Facebook Username: pray for larry edge

Excessive Sweating?

Postby Anji » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:48 am

My husband has been having issues with this for a few weeks now. He is currently on a chemo "break" (no chemo for three weeks) and the sweating started since his last round. It is hot here, don't get me wrong. But he can break into a sweat just sitting, a full body, dripping off his face sweat....when everyone else is comfortable.

Just wondering if this is normal, has anyone else experienced this? He sees his oncologist again Monday, so we will be asking him about it, too.

Thanks!
Anji
Wife to Larry, Stage IV Colon Cancer, with mets to liver
Diagnosed 1/10 at age 44
Folfiri + Avastin 2/10 to 7/10
Liver resection and ablation 9/10
Numerous mets to lung and liver 1/11
Folfox + Avastin 2/11 to 6/11
Folfiri + Vectibix 6/11 to ???

joeyooser

Re: Excessive Sweating?

Postby joeyooser » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:53 am

That is odd - unfortunately I don't know anything about that. I did have night sweats and still do for some reason.
Tim
Stage IIIc - 9/23 lymph nodes, poorly diff, 35yo father of 2.
Lap resection Jul 28 09 resulted in near-deadly leak
Finished chemo Feb '10; Takedown March '10;
Nov 2010 - carcinomatosis
May 2011 - Clinical Trial, failed out of trial, in hospice care

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:07 am

It's not uncommon to have night sweats on chemo - and for them to continue for a couple months after chemo stops. The 'chemo break' you've described isn't really long enough for your husband to get past that.

That said, sudden onset excessive sweating while at rest (sitting in a chair, for instance) can also be a sign of a cardiac event or an Avastin effect on the heart - so if your husband is also pale, has nausea, is weak and/or has a racing pulse, he should report the symptoms to his doctor and get to the ER.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:53 am

I'm thinking hot flashes, perhaps. My dad had to take hormone shots for prostate cancer for awhile and they gave him hot flashes = sweating for no apparent reason. At times in my life I've experienced night sweats. They come and go; don't know why. It bothers my wife more than me for some reason.

But I'm guessing it's a chemo thing. I had trouble regulating my body temp while on oxi last winter. For me (and most people, I think) it's more about getting chilled for no reason, but I don't see why it couldn't go the other way.

Reminds me of how much I hate air conditioning, so in a way I'm glad I did my chemo in the winter. The other day I walked from the humid parking lot into the refrigerated supermarket and couldn't wait to get out of there. Reminded me of the oxi.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

airic

Postby airic » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:03 pm

I get night sweats. Mine strarted after surgery. Wife just changes sheets and we move on. I hope they will stop after chemo.
Stage IV Colon Cancer
8 inches of Colon removed 11-13-09
Lymph Nodes removed 11-13-09
Liver peice removed 11-13-09
Colosotmy Bag 11-17-09
Start Chomo FLOFOX6 Jan. 4th 2010

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:01 am

I sweat like no one else but I also have gone through or am going through (how long DOES this last anyway) menopause. I can be perfectly fine and then I'll feel my head and neck get warm, feel nauseous and start sweating. After oxi, I literally have to get up and change my clothes in the middle of the night on night two.

Gaelen is correct, if he's never had this before, he needs to tell his doctor so he can make sure it's just the chemo. If he gets any jaw, left arm, chest pain, difficulty breathing or just a feeling that something isn't right, call 911, don't take any chances. I had this starting after radiation and the end of my cycle and last time I was on oxi so it's nothing new but anything new like this needs to be checked out right away.
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”