my VEIN EXPLODED?!?!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Re: my VEIN EXPLODED?!?!

Postby Terry » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:35 pm

Ah, which hospital in Milwaukee are you going to????? Your vein exploded! No, what they meant to say way the vein blew which isn't uncommon. Maybe it's time for a new nurse, not that he really did anything wrong because the best of us blow a vein (just means the needle went through the vein) but his choice of describing it leaves little to be desired. Yes, digging in veins is painful.

I don't let them use my powerport for anything but chemo. Reason being sterile technique. I've seen other departments use ports and not use gloves or a mask which more than likely isn't going to make any difference but with my luck, or lack of I'd end up with staph or something.

I hope you start having better ruck, real soon;)
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

starbuck30

Re: my VEIN EXPLODED?!?!

Postby starbuck30 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:43 am

Well, the arm is doing okay. It's still sore when I extend it, but no redness, swelling, discharge, or strange vines growing out of it a la The Ruins (good book, unless you like happy stuff, in which case I'd avoid it).

To answer your question, Terry, I'm at St. Luke's here in Milwaukee. They've got (near as I can tell) a great oncology department, but radiology seems to be run by young (REALLY young, can these kids even DRINK?) yakuza assassains/interegators-in-training. Every time I go there they blow a vein, or drug me up until I'm puking my insides out, or argue w/me as to how I'm feeling. They're clearly evil and I try to avoid them if I can. I got enough on my plate without worrying about the ancient art of yakuza torture and how it applies to me. :roll:
2/26/10 Dx'd colon cancer
3/12 complete colerectomy, temporary ileostomy
3/19 pathology came back Stage IIIC CC
4/2 started FOLFOX
Chemo "precautionary", last CT showed NED PLEASE God let's keep it that way
9/16/10 FOLFOX finished! Woo hah!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”