5FU - What should I expect?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
irish

5FU - What should I expect?

Postby irish » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:25 am

:D I am 38 single mom, trying to lose weight and train for a mini triathlon. I have had very loose stools on & off for about 4 years. But started having blood in June. I mention this to my GP and suggested that I try to add fibercon to my diet. I tryed this for 6 more months, which I continued bleeding. I was sent for a colonoscopy in November, which I did this without the sedation. As soon as the scoop was in, I saw the tumor. I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma cancer, which was confirmed with the biopsy. I had my rectum removed on January 2, 2007 and now have a temporary ileostomy. . I have gone through 28 radiation treatments with a chemo drip. I had mild reaction to the radiation but nothing with the chemo.
:cry: Now they are suggestion additional chemo treatments of 6 months using 5FU. This is suppose to start at the end of April. I am trying to kept my routine as normal as possible with my son and work. So I just wondered what I might expect. Such as time involved and reactions that I might have. Thanks in advance for your input..
:?:
Stage IIB - Rectal Cancer / Diagnosed Nov 22, 2006
6 Surgeries in 16 months. NED in Jan 2008.

missjv

Postby missjv » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:29 am

HI,
WELL MY EXPERIENCE WITH 5FU WAS TIREDNESS. HOW LONG WILL YOUR INFUSIONS BE? ARE YOU GOING TO BE ON THE 46 HOUR TREATMENT? THE PUMP THAT YOU TAKE HOME GETS SOME GETTING USED TO BUT OTHER THEN THAT IT IS NOT SO BAD. AT FIRST I WOULD NOT GO IN PUBLIC WITH MY FANNY PACK BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT ANYONE TO SEE IT THEN THEY WOULD KNOW I HAD CANCER. BUT NOW THAT I HAVE 4 MORE TREATMENTS I GO EVERYWHERE WITH IT IF PEOPLE STARE THEN FINE. EVERYONE REACTS DIFFERENT TO THE CHEMO SO I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU WILL DO BUT THAT WAS MY EXPERIENCE.

MISSJV

irish

Postby irish » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:19 pm

Thanks for your imput.
I carried the fanny pack for 5 weeks with the radiation. I am not sure how this next set is going to be administered. I can deal with the pack. I started using it like a purse.

Kassina

Postby Kassina » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:02 pm

My husband is on 5fu using the 46 hour pump. His main complaint is fatigue and loose stools. He has it set up so his pump is on over the week-end so he doesn't miss alot of work. Good luck, this is our second battle and we get through it one day at a time.

leigh_leigh

5fu

Postby leigh_leigh » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:26 pm

I have the 5fu pump for 5 weeks as pre op treatment for stage 3 rectal cancer it made me feel very tired at first it can be annoying having to carry it round with you every day and take it everywhere you go but you do get used to it, the most trouble i had was having showers and trying to keep it from getting wet.
I didnt go outside much for the first week as i didnt want people to see it and i had mine during the summer months when the temp was in the low 40c but after a while i said stuff it if they want to stare at me let em im not going to hide away anymore so i went out with singlets on and everything.
will you be having the pump on every day or just a few days a week?
i had really good results from my treatment as it shrunk the tumor considerably now i have only 2 weeks left and ill be having the sugery

good luck with everything

Leighxxx

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:21 pm

So....with the pump it is best to get it for the weekend? I was told to get my treatments on Tuesdays (and wear the pack for 46 hours) and that I would "hit my wall" late Friday and have the weekend to recover and feel much better when I went to work on Monday.

Is it better to have it for the weekend? I can't afford to miss any work at all.
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:46 pm

Hi all -
Irish, will you be on 5FU alone or with oxilaplatin? The 5FU side effects for me were pretty tolerable - nausea and fatigue, but my basic goal was to be able to do the basics for my family and to rest when I needed, and I felt that I accomplished that - everybody does react differently though. The anti-nausea meds worked well, and I used them the first 2-3 days, but they made me very constipated. Then chemo induced diarrehea the following week, though not very bad. System is still on a roller coaster, 2 months off. The oxi presents peripheral neuropathy, and again, different for everyone. Mine was pretty significant, and I'm still having numbness and tingling in my fingers on a constant basis, but it doesn't interfere much with daily life - just a pain! The onc. nurses really stressed that the litany of side effects they present are possibilities, not probabilities for everyone. I never developed cold sores, and I know that can be a big issue. So try not become overwhelmed and take the time to treat yourself well - rest, eat well, laughing will help immensely!

Seussfan - I was on the schedule you described and it worked out well. I could take the weekend to flake out and recover somewhat. By the end of 12 treatments, I was pretty fatigued the first 2-3 days off the pump, needed to rest several times a day, but after that my energy picked up.

Good luck to you both! Let us know how things are going. By the way, does anyone think we can convice Kate Spade to whip up something better looking than the typical fanny pack, or shoulder bag - I hated going out in public with that thing!

rmarine

5Fu

Postby rmarine » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:52 pm

Hi irish,
My husband was on 5Fu continuous 24/day. We had the pump also. We even got to sleep with this go0d stuff. His only complaint was after the therapy was over he noticed his hands and foot cracking and the start of lip sores. But that was a t the very end of treatment. He did`nt mind the 5FU, it was the radiation that made him tired.
Don`t worry about your hair falling out, it does`nt on this chemo drug. I think the only reason why my hubby experienced those symptoms is because he was doing so well, his oncologist added an extra week.
The pouch was no problem, we got use to sleeping with it.
We did towards the end of the week checked to see how much drug was left. We never turned it off even when the IV bag looked like there was very little in there. It amazing how little gets infused over 24 hr. period.
Don`t worry, you`ll get through 5FU with little effects.
We did`nt even have nausea
Good luck!
Donna
Donna

irish

Postby irish » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:24 pm

Thanks for everyones input. I started go with the Folfox yesterday...weird reactions are my eyes twitching and bloated feeling.
I have already experienced the tingling in my fingers and mouth when drink cold beverages (or when I first eat something). I am also craving carbs...I just don't want to gain more weight....I have to lose weight so they can reverse my ostomy....

Megan

5FU

Postby Megan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:18 pm

I hav been on 5FU and oxylaplatin for 4 of 6 months now. Mostly it's the fatigue. I find that if I go in on Wednesdays, have the pump removed Fridays that most of the symptoms last Sat- Mondays. Mosyly fatigue witha few days of constipation and then a few days of diarrehea. It's gets worse asthe treatments continue. (The doctorcall this "Cummulative toxicity") So you may have to take a few days off work near the end.

Check out my bog:

shortcolon.blogspot.com

to see all that I've gone thrugh with this type of chemo.

Good Luck and I wish you the best outcome possible!

sue

by mouth

Postby sue » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:52 am

I take th 5fu by mouth in a pill form. It is called Xeloda. Side effects are very slight nausa, diareha (all controlable with meds). I do get tired though. Sue
Oct 2003 surgery 36 weeks 5FU

Dec 2006-mets to liver and lymph nodes (stage 1V ) Had liver resection/radiation/chemo

2008 nodes on lungs started FOLFOX4, 5FU/leucovorin, avastin. After 10 cycles no change

Oct 2008 started 5-FU

May 2009-Folfox4

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”