The whole story of how this happened.......

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
papajedi

The whole story of how this happened.......

Postby papajedi » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:12 pm

As you all know my CEA spiked up first of may but scans were very clear and had been since Dec. All during may i was having twinges of pain on my right side, it slowly got worse until the full blown gallbladder failure while i was in mexico. I came straight home to the ER and spent the next two weeks having every possible test done, the problem was I had no fever/vomiting associated with gallbladder disease. But tests showed it was collapsed and a HIDA test showed it was a goner, so they removed it saturday and the surgeon said they had an awful time, so much scar tissue they had to open me up..again. The biopsy showed colon cancer cells and my CEA shot up to 140, ugh!!
My onc told me that the cells were around the lining of the gallbladder and to small for the CT to pick up. I had a CT done in the ER and it showed nothing creating a false hope, as in there is cells growing. The onc is still pretty optimistic we can stop the spread and it's small in nature but it's all speculation, I'm sore as hell and really struggling thru this.........this disease is so awful.
United States Submarine Veteran
1976-1982 SSBN 640 Gold Crew
Benicia Ca. Robert Ray

Colon Stage 3 C
Resection
Chemo started Aug 17
FOLFOX

Phuong
Facebook Username: Phuong Ly Gallagher

Re: The whole story of how this happened.......

Postby Phuong » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:43 pm

It's never easy when it comes back - especially when it's a surprise. The first time it came back for me I was at the airport - literally 5 minutes to boarding for a business trip. I was leveled. I called my husband and cried. Then I had a decision to make. I could cancel my trip and go home to wait and see my doctor in a couple days, or I could pick myself up and continue with my plans. I swore to myself that I would never let this horrible disease take away my ability to live life. It may beat me down and make me feel like crap, but I was going to come back and fight it every step of the way. And that's what I've done and am continuing to do. It wasn't easy, especially when the survival percentages my doctors gave me were getting lower and lower with each return. But know that you are stronger than you give yourself credit for. You are a veteran - a submarine veteran no less! And for that you will always have my gratitude. My brother served in the Navy. But you didn't become a veteran without strength, guts, and the will to fight. So stay strong and know that our hearts and prayers are here with you!

~Phuong~
Phuong
http://sonofamotherlessgoat.net/
dx'd Stage III Rectal (T3 N1 M0)
Now Stage IV mCRC

Ashlee H.

Postby Ashlee H. » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:55 pm

What a journey! My gall bladder is out too...in fact, that is the only way we found I even had cancer. Don't know if they warned you about eating differently without the gallbladder. I really have no issues...except if I eat fried foods. I never eat much fried foods to begin with...but once in awhile, I just love some friend zucchini strips they serve in town. I know if I pig out on those, I better be close to a bathroom. You are an example of why we continue with our screenings and blood work. You find it at this stage, it is still beatable. Good luck to you..and watch out for those fried foods!

Ashlee
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

seamonkey
Facebook Username: Darren Stiles

Postby seamonkey » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:43 pm

Hey PJ sorry to hear about the set back. I am pulling for you. I see from you signature you were on the Ben Franklin. I work with a lot of former submariners and know what you guys are made of. Good luck and keep fighting.

Seamonkey
50 year old male dx 1/12/10
Resection 1/26/10
Stage 2A - T3 N0 M0, moderately differentiated, 0/13 LN+
Finished Chemotherapy 8/26/10
Six years cancer free!

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:57 am

Don't let this get you down papa, let God lift you up. Your a fighter and stronger than you think you are. Just think of how lucky you are that it was found before it spread more. Or was it luck? I know that facing chemo again stinks, I'm there right now but we can do it.

My prayers are with you.
Terry
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

blakeswife
Facebook Username: kathy.mair

Postby blakeswife » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:47 am

This sucks, Papa.... Hang in there.

Kathy
DH Stage IV 10/07
Colectomy, Liver resection & RFA, 1/13 LN
12/07-5/08 Folfox/Avastin
7/09 recurrence-Peritoneum
9/09-12/09 Folfiri/Avastin
1/10-5/10 Xeloda/Avastin
9/10-current w/built in breaks

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”