Liver Surgeons - Dr Choti & second opinions

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
KP

Liver Surgeons - Dr Choti & second opinions

Postby KP » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:58 pm

Hi Everyone.
I have a surgeon in Seattle who won't do the liver surgery..and have the wonderful opportunity for a second opinion at Johns Hopkins with Dr. Choti - Are you familiar with him?
How do you tell your onc that you are seeking a second opinion, not relying on HIS surgeon's viewpoint??

Thanks
Karen

missjv

Postby missjv » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:57 pm

hi,
well 1st thing i wouldn't worry about your 1st doc it is your life not his. second i have heard of that doctor and read many of his articles on liver mets and he is very encouraging and sounds like he is aggressive in his treatments. i say gor for the 2nd opinion. i had 3 opinions the 1st two sucked and gave me no hope and pissed me off the 3rd opinion was i was an excellent candidate for curative intent liver resection cause of my little pencil erasure sized liver lesions. had surgery feel great no signs of cancer. if i would have listened to first 2 docs who knows where i would be now????????? good luck and go for the 2nd opinion.

missjv

i also sent you a private message

Carolyn JB

Postby Carolyn JB » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:39 pm

I would definitely go for the second opinion - the more the better. Its your life and I am sure your oncologist would understand. Mine encouraged me to get a second opinion and helped me find another cancer center to go to (he sent me to a colorectal oncologist). this seond one said pretty much the same thing but it was a much more positive spin on it. I would definitely go for the second opinion

Carolyn

KP

Postby KP » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:20 pm

Thanks so far for your encouragement. My onc now is my second opinion onc, who had hope for my condition - the first was not even going to do chemo. I feel as if my life is in his hands, and I am afraid of affecting that! Its sad but true.. that I feel that fear.
Karen

missjv

Postby missjv » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:43 am

hi karen,
well i learned that the only one that can give you advice on liver surgery is the surgeon themselves. i had one give me an opinion that 2 could be surgically removed and 1 ablated. i have read ablatated tumors sometimes return but some if they do return can then be surgically removed cause they may be smaller. so i went to see another liver surgeon and wish i would have just went to them at first diagnosis and he removed all 3 surgically with large margins with no problems. i had hepatic artery pump placed to get chemo to my liver directly and am on 6 months of systemic as well. so just cause one doc says no find another they are out there. good luck!

missjv

KP

Postby KP » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:10 am

Miss JV
THANKS for your replies.
its very helpful. I am scheduling the 2nd opinion now.
K

missjv

Postby missjv » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:56 am

HI KAREN,
GOOD I HOPE ALL GOES WELL. I WAS SO SURPRISED AT HOW DIFFERENT DOCTORS CAN SAY TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS IT IS AMAZING. I WENT FROM TOLD I BASICALLY HAD 2 YEARS ACCORDING TO STATISTICS FOR STAGE 4 WHICH ARE SO OLD, TO BEING TOLD I HAVE AN EXCELLENT CHANCE OF BEATING THIS CANCER I WAS SO AMAZED I AM SO GLAD I WENT WHERE I DID. IT GETS A LITTLE HECTIC FLYING TO NEW YORK FROM FLORIDA EVERY MONTH ESPECIALLY DURING BAD WEATHER WITH FLIGHT DELAYS BUT WELL WORTH IT TO SAVE MY LIFE THATS FOR SURE. I HAVE READ DR CHIOTI ARTICLES AND HE SEEMS VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE AND AGGRESSIVE IN HIS TREATMENTS AND THAT WHAT YOU WANT AN EXPERT ON COLON CANCER NOT JUST AN ALL AROUND ONCO AND SURGEON BUT ONE WHO DEALS SPECIFICALLLY WITH YOUR TYPE OF CANCER. GOOD LUCK TO YOU KEEP ME POSTED.

MISSJV

Carolyn JB

Postby Carolyn JB » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:39 pm

Karen,

I know what you mean - not wanting to make you oncologist 'upset' - but I think most are willing to work with others. I just saw mine today and he is totally willing to work with the ones at Vanderbilt. He is fine that we went there - and was interested to know what they thought, etc. All of that made me feel better! but it is YOUR life that you are fighting for so you really do need to get opinions - and from everything I have read, when one person says no, there are others that may have more knowledge, experience, etc that could benefit you!

Good Luck
Carolyn

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”