Folfox to Folferie

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mz Ape

Folfox to Folferie

Postby Mz Ape » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:25 pm

Because of neuropathy in my hands, my onc is changing me from Folfox to Folferie (sp?) after 5 treatments. Would anyone who has switched like this, or is currently on Camptosar tell me what to expect in the side effect department? My chemo nurses said we'll go over it all next Monday when I switch, but I like to hear what others have experienced. They had never heard of that weird salivery gland/jaw zing that oxaliplatin gives you, but I read here that it's pretty common. What can any of you in the cc "real world" tell me? Thanks!

sean

Postby sean » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:31 pm

You could ask your oncologist about Lyrica. I haven't used it, but Cathy (momof2crazyboyz) had a post about it that I came across:

http://www.colonclub.com/forum/viewtopi ... ight=#6205

Sounds like it may help.

I'm still early in the FOLFOX game (cycle 3) but I have noticed that what I first mistook for late cycle neuropathy was really light residual cold sensitivity. This cycle, I wore anything less than winter gloves my hands feel like they are on fire even in a warm house. Apparently they can't stand to lose any body heat at all. This fades by day 3 and I can drop down to ordinary work gloves when it bothers me. Day 5 or 6 I'm clear, but sometimes fingers get bothered by cooler days or holding a cold steering wheel or tapping at keyboards - basicall anywhere there is a chance for faster heat transfer. Have you tried wearing winter gloves all the time - even in bed - to see if it goes away?

You don't say what stage you are... that might help others who have a lot more experience than I give more informed advice about the switch.
42 - dx Jan 3 2007 stage IIA colon
9 FOLFOX4, 3 5-FU completed Sep 24 2007
Blockage symptoms, Negative Colonoscopy, Positive PET Oct 2009
2nd Resection Oct 2009 - Suspected Local Recurrence was Negative

momof2crazyboyz

Postby momof2crazyboyz » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:21 am

Lyrica was my life savor -- I could not button my son's jeans or he shirts -- once on this drug for 2 weeks - I was able to button again. There are some side effects - -but definetly outweigh the benefits. I am presently off the drug.. Stopped taking last month -- I can actually write with a pen now and not have difficulty -- My last treatment was Jan 30...and withing the last week my neuropathy has decreased significantly. Best of luck.. Cathy
STOP COLON CANCER -- MOON A DOCTOR!
Stage II CC NED 3/07 (HNPCC - Lynch Syndrome)

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:53 pm

I have been on FOLFOX twice and on FOLFIRI once. I actually went to work while on FOLFIRI -- I thought the side effects were way less severe that the FOLFOX cold sensitivity. I wore my little pump. The children (I work at a private school) would ask me what the pump was and I just stated that it contained medicine for me. I did feel a bit nauseated but was able to keep it under control. I had slight hair thinning on both FOLFOX and FOLFIRI. But I didn't lose my hair completely.

Now when I was on Erbitux and Campostar that is when I lost all my hair. However, my hair is coming back now darker and thicker -- go figure.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I check the Colon Club every day.

Miss Kim
dx 06/03 stage 4 cc, dx 03/07 papillary carcinoma thyroid cancer
"Live Life to Its Fullest!!!"

CBLACK

Postby CBLACK » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:13 pm

My husband switched half way through Folfox to Folfiri due to spine pain. Side effects with Folfiri were much more tolerable. The side effects for Folfiri included: sweating during initial infusion, skin rash, mouth sores, hair thinning, fatigue, and constipation. I guess it is pretty common to have diarrhea, but the anti-nausea meds offset that. Good luck with the new treatment.
My Husband was Dx with Stage III @ 26yrs old
Finished chemo March 2007

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”