Preparation for Reversal Question

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BrownBagger

Preparation for Reversal Question

Postby BrownBagger » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:58 am

I got an email notification that somebody sent me a message about coping with post-reversal bowel functions, but for some reason there was no link-back in the email and the message isn't in my mailbox. So, since I don't know who sent me the message and I can't respond, I'm taking it public with this thread.

Actually, I'm not sure what you can do to ease the transition back to normal bowel function post-reversal because I gather it's different for everyone. I will say that you should start exercising as soon as possible after surgery, as that's my cure-all for all things CRC related. Beyond that, I'd read up and stock up on soluble fiber, which will help keep constipation at bay and may improve regularity. I'd also get some Imodium and plan on using it. See if your doc will prescribe some extra narcotics--they calm your bowels and will help you through periods when you need to function normally and can't afford to start clustering (say, on an airplane or long road trip). And, sometimes, you just need a break. Try to recognize your new patterns and figure out how to mitigate the discomfort when it occurs. Hang in there--in my case, it got steadily better over time. Measure your progress week-to-week instead of day-to-day because it's not a straight-line progression.

All that said, I'm about 9 months out from my reversal. From a practical point of view, my new normal is the same as my old normal. There are differences, but nothing that affects my lifestyle. I know I'm luckier than most in that respect. Hopefully you will be, too.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”