Reaction to Oxali

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tmm903
Facebook Username: Tracy Green Mariano

Reaction to Oxali

Postby tmm903 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:34 am

Hi Everyone!

Round 6 was to be yesterday June 4th, all bloodwork and everything was fine. Got hooked up to my oxali/leucovorin and within a half hour of it running had reaction of feeling very hot and my face, arms and chest were bright red. They stopped the oxali/leuco put me on some fluids and gave me some hydro cortisone to get rid of the redness. The onc said that does happen. He doesn't want to discontinue oxali yet as he is going to try running it slower my next time I am in. Overall on the oxali I have been doing pretty good with nothing other than the cold sensitivity and when I'm not careful around the cold stuff I do get some neuropathy--been sticking to room temp drinks or hot tea/hot chocolate and warm foods. So I'm almost half way there as the next round on the 18th of June will then count as my 6th round. Surprisingly I didn't feel discouraged, I just figured it's a bump in the road of this journey and just continue on. Like falling off a bike--you get up brush yourself off and ride again! I am also scheduled one day next week to get a CT scan to see how the liver mets are doing--I am praying for a lot of shrinkage. Also my CEA level has decreased by half since the beginning it is now in the 40's. Which the onc believes is a good sign as well since I am young and am doing extremely well with the whole chemo process. The CEA is what got me started on this journey. Keeping up with my positiveness and good outlook on things is what keeps me going as well as my 5 year old and my husband.
Tracy
DX 12/28/09 Stage 4 CC w/mets to liver
Sigmoid colon resection 1/11/10
FOLFOX Chemo FINISHED 8/27/10
Ileostomy reversed 10/11/10
FOLFIRI chemo FINISHED 5/6/11
married to Mike and mom to Austyn, age 6

guestagain1

Re: Reaction to Oxali

Postby guestagain1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:23 am

My husband had the same reaction and they gave him benadryl, etc. He was able to have the oxi gain with a slowed down infusion time and the allergy drugs first. Eventually the oxi was stopped and the 5FU, Leucovorin and Avastin were continued. I think there's some indication that 6 or 8 rounds of the oxi may be enough to make a difference. He stopped his chemo in order to have a liver resection.

HollyID
Facebook Username: Holly Woodcock

Postby HollyID » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:22 pm

Been there and done that. :)

So sorry to hear of your reaction. I had about the same reaction during treatment #7. Twenty minutes into it, I was flushed and just felt weird. My heart rate was about 150 or so. My onc however refused to restart mine. He said when your body has had enough, it's enough. I agree. There are many studies that say 5 rounds of oxi has the same efficacy as 12 and I've read where 8 doses of oxi has the same efficacy of 12. My onc has never heard these stats, but either way, I think I'll be fine with just the 5FU and the leucovorin. It's been a walk in the park since they took "Satan in a bag" away.
Holly, 47
11/17/09 colonoscopy;
11/23/09 dx with adenocarcinoma;
12/03/09 LAR
Stage IIIB T3N1M0 1/11 LN
1/12/09 CT NED
1/19/09 Start Folfox
6/24/10 Done with chemo!!!
7/7/10 CT scan. I'm in NED'sville.
9/11/12 colonoscopy for bleeding (staple from anastomotic site)
7/31/15 New tumor discovered near rectum. Biopsied. Adenocarcinoma. CEA 3.5 Lynch negative
8-10/2015 Radiation
12/14/2015 Revision of LAR with new permanent colostomy

airic

Postby airic » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:46 pm

Bummer on the reaction. I have 4 treatments to go. My hands and feet feel different now as I get deeper into treatment. I stay away from cold for a few days after treatment. I will say if I want ice cream or a ice cold beer I will drink or eat. I do get hot flashes in between treatments. Hang in there and don't let any set backs get you down.
Stage IV Colon Cancer
8 inches of Colon removed 11-13-09
Lymph Nodes removed 11-13-09
Liver peice removed 11-13-09
Colosotmy Bag 11-17-09
Start Chomo FLOFOX6 Jan. 4th 2010

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:13 pm

It stinks that you had that reaction Tracy but slowing it down can make a big difference. I had a reaction the first treatment and then he slowed it down the next and had no problems accept by round 6 I was getting neuropathy (different than the cold sensitivity) so he switched me to irinotecan. I wish now he would have just let me finish the 12 because apparently the irin. didn't work for me but I know he thought it would and was trying to save me from permanent neuropathy.

It sounds like you have your faith and a good attitude, those are going to get you through this.

God Bless you!
Terry
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:50 am

I too had a reaction on tx #5 and did a whole bunch of steriodal and antihistamine pre-meds along with the slower infusion to get me through the rest. We stopped at 9 cause of neuropathy but the slower infusion and the pre-meds worked great for me. Welcome to the seemingly large oxi-reaction club :)
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”