Options after chemo is over

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ketel

Options after chemo is over

Postby ketel » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:45 pm

Gang,

Sorry for dropping out for a while. Needed a little break and wanted to just deal with my chemo routine (one week on, one week off). BTW, I am 3c.

I have recently crossed the halfway mark with my chemo (12 cycles of Folfox + Avastin). The question looms of 'what do I do after the chemo'?

I am not the wait-and-see-if-it-comes-back type. I want to be pro-active. I am hearing about some novel therapies that can be used after chemo, but I am still on the learning curve about them.

What are you folks doing that are done with chemo and are NED? I want to start thinking about what I can do next. Not happy to just sit and wait anxiously for a possible recurrance.

All suggestions welcome.

ketel

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:05 pm

I am enjoying life without chemo. Giving my body a chance to recover from the toxins and stress of chemo. Doing nothing really IS something in some cases.

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:01 am

I guess I went through the "NORM" after Chemo was done. I celebrated, got my strength back, started new eating habits and tried to not dwell on having had cancer. I have never forgotten, but I have been LIVING again, and helping others going through Colon Cancer. This not only keeps me focused, but it helps me to stay positive by telling others going through the treatments to do so. I went through the "fear" of the 3 month followups, the "fear" of losing my "security blanket", which was the Chemo. I found that my new "security blanket" was the followup visits. I have taken one day at a time, Praised God for each day I wakeup and for being Cancer Free! Those "one day at a times" turn into 1 year cancer free to now 2 years cancer free! I smile a lot, laugh a lot and see things in a whole new light. I know I am not in the clear yet, but I don't dwell on what COULD happen. I just Live Life to the FULLEST and know that IF it comes back, I will deal with it just like before and have just given it all to God to deal with. Life is too short to dwell on what COULD happen for me.......so I stay positive and LIVE!!!

Peg

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:38 pm

Eating well and exercising help me. Staying healthy in all the ways I can makes me feel like I'm giving my body the best possible chance to recover fully, and it gives my mind and spirit a great boost as well.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:41 pm

BTW, I HAVE been dealing with the post-chemo heebie jeebies. I think you just have to work through that. I see a therapist and take an antidepressant, but that's not just about the cancer. There's other stuff going on too. It does help with the heebie jeebies, though.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”