pollo65 wrote: Do your onccologists know that your are using "alternatives" to/with their protcol?.
Scared, nervous and back to onc. June 1.
We can be Chemo Buddies then, 'cos I start FOLFOX6 on June 2 [Stage IV(a)]
I am currently investigating adjuct therapies, with the following provisos, and my Onc is also asian, approves of acu, but prefers no "other" meds. We'll talk !
Your question is the million $$$ question. At our local cancer "agency" (BC Cancer Agency) there is a pilot project to open the lines of discussion about using "alternative" meds for cancer patients while ON active treatments. It is called CAMEO http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/RES/ResearchPrograms/cameo/default.htm
Check it out. If you need more info PM me. I am a veterinarian (30 years in western medicine) and an integrative practitioner (nine years in Integrative Medicine including acupuncture certification and herbal medicine training) who also happens to be a CClub "member", lucky me !
Just so you know up front, my major rants are :
1. Alternative or "holistic" practitioners are not always up to speed on the real world of "western" medically treated patients. There ARE good Integrative Practitioners, but in my experience you need to search them out diligently.
2. A lot of "alternative" practitioners AND western medical cancer specialists are NOT up to speed on each others areas of expertise ; = the patient loses in the translation...OR lack thereof, because there are increasing numbers of adjunct treatments which are proven effective for "us."
3. Because of #2...lots of practitioners simply avoid the "other" side and stick to what they know...fair enough, but there are times when you need to proactively expand the horizons...Stage IV is one of those times.
4. ALWAYS tell any health care provider...everything you are taking or being treated with, please !
5. With regards to "herbals" and other "alternatives" in general....we must know that the source is 100% pure, safe, and effective. I will not accept anything less for my own patients and sure as hell won't take anything questionable myself, Stage IV or not. A lot of "offshore" medicinals are not effective and some are harmful or contaminated.
6. Keep looking until you find an integrative practitioner who will work with YOU, and wants to know about, and understand all of the complexities of what you are going through.
Like I said my mini-rant..but keep looking ! Knowledge IS power.
Cheers, for success on your journey