Questions about Aftercare

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
badfaith1976

Questions about Aftercare

Postby badfaith1976 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:59 pm

My ex was dx with rectal cancer in 2005. We were never properly staged so they called it Stage II post radiation. He had a 5cm mass covering 75% of rectal area, had 6 weeks of chemo and radation which shrunk that tumor to nothing. He had it removed laproscopically and a temp bag which has now been reversed. CEA never went over 2.5.

I left him in June of 2006 because he chose to continue drinking, smoking and not taking care of himself so I left. I do not get to go to his appointments anymore, but we do speak and he is not a proactive patient. His CEA is up to 4.7. His bag was reversed since that time he has had non stop cramping and diarerrah (sp). he is loosing weight because he cannot keep food down. He sees his surgeon often getting constant scans, which show nothing. He also has been taking morphine 180 mg and loratabs every 4 hours for almost 2 years. I am worried about a reaccurance, no one will give him a PET. It is has been about 6 months since he last had one, But he has had CTs and Colonoscopies. What do you think. I would feel so much better if I was involved but I just cannot always take care of someone who will not try to care for themselves.

missjv

Postby missjv » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:29 pm

HI,
WOW STILL SMOKING AFTER GOING THROUGH ALL OF THAT? RISING CEA WOULD BE A CONCERN IN HIS CASE ESPECIALLY IF HIS WAS NOT ELEVATED BEFORE. IF HE IS TAKING NON STOP MORPHINE AND LORTABS HE IS WEAKENING HIS LIVER FOR SURE, THOSE PAIN PILLS ARE BRUTAL ON THE LIVER IF TAKEN FOR A LONG TIME. DOES HE HAVE BAD PAIN OR IS HE JUST ADDICTED? SOUNDS LIKE HE DOESN'T CARE MUCH ABOUT HIMSELF AND SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T HELP PEOPLE LIKE THAT. I HAVE A FRIEND WHO HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH EMPHAZEMA SP? AND LIVER CIROCIS SP?? IM A BAD SPELLER, ANYWAYS SHE CONTINUES TO SMOKE AND IS DRUNK EVERY DAY BY 7 P.M. I JUST TOLD HER WHAT AN IDIOT SHE WAS BECAUSE SHE IS IN EARLY STAGES OF BOTH DISEASES AND DOCS TOLD HER A LIFESTYLE CHANGE WILL MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE AND SHE CONTINUES ON SMOKING 2 PACKS A DAY AND DRINKING A 12 PACK A DAY AND SHE JUST HAD A BEAUTIFUL GRANDSON BORN 2 WEEKS AGO YOU WOULD THINK THAT WOULD MAKE HER WANT TO CHANGE SO SHE CAN BE AROUND TO WATCH HIM GROW. ANOTHER FRIEND OF MINE WHO IS A COUNSELER SAID YOU CAN'T HELP PEOPLE WHO WON'T HELP THEMSELVES IT IS A LOSING BATTLE SO I GAVE UP I HATE TO DO THAT BUT I HAD NO CHOICE IT WAS STRESSING ME OUT AND I CERTAINLY DO NOT NEED STRESS.

MISSJV

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”