Eye pain 6 mo. after Folfox?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Rick7

Eye pain 6 mo. after Folfox?

Postby Rick7 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi all,
I noticed @ Jan/Feb this year that my eye was starting to hurt. Like it is strained from too much computer time.
I have tried to cut down my computer/tv time since then.

== I only have good vision in one eye, from a dart accident when I was 18. Before tx started, my good eye was better than 20/20 ==

Has anyone else experienced eye trouble after tx? I know my Onc said not to get new presc glasses during tx because the eye test would be skewed. But I have been done with tx for 9 mo now.

I am worried that my vision is getting bad and am worried about how bad it will get.

Thank you,
Rick
CC DX 1-7-09 at age 40 - Stage IV, T4-N1-M1
Surgery 1-16-09 - Folfox6 Feb-Aug 2009
Clear scans - PET/CT 9-09, CT 3-10, CT 9-10
Head MRI 3-11, CT 9-11
Head CT 2-12, PET/CT 9-12

hopeful

Re: Eye pain 6 mo. after Folfox?

Postby hopeful » Mon May 24, 2010 1:49 pm

My husband has noticed sore, watery eyes since the beginning of tx. They also seem red a lot of the time. His vision seems to have changed too, but he's waiting for after he's done to get his eyes rechecked. Anyone know how long to wait?
Caregiver to husband diagnosed 11/09 stage IIIb colon cancer
Surgery 11/5/09
12 rounds FOLFOX beginning 12/18/09
Folfox finished 6/3/10
Last scan Jan 2015
NED since Dec. 2009

pollo65
Facebook Username: pollo2

Postby pollo65 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:41 am

I have been out of chemo for 7 mos. and wear eyeglasses, I have noticed eye pain when going from computer to printed material. It has only started in the last couple months and is only in left eye I am sorry you are experiencing pain, but feel slightly better that I am not the only one.
CC 1/6/09
r. hemi-colectomy 1/7/09
32Ln biopsied, 28 positive
met to aorta
chemo 12 rounds
done 9/09 3 scans clear
1/11 1 met to aorta
micro cluster to peritoneum
4/11 / 9/11 scan clear
4/12 scan clear
10/12 scan clear
Iri+avastin
chemo break

MonaL

Postby MonaL » Tue May 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Dad experienced *a lot* of eye troubles. Red, inflammed, gritty eyes. He would wipe out solid gunk from them too. He looked terrible, squinted all the time, and had to stop reading a lot of what he was used to reading.

The ophthalmologist said the following (I had this in an email I sent out):

Severe Dry Eye
There are not enough tears being produced. This is considered the main condition, tear ducts probably damaged by chemo. This can cause the pain, increased mucous, double vision, blurring, etc. The eye is dry, causing vision to be blurry; blinking makes the blur go away because it gives moisture to the eye.

Looking at the eye, the ophthalmologist saw a very irregular tear film on the surface of the eye, which may cause double vision (along with the other symptoms and experiences).

Colored Mucous
The yellow tinge indicates infection, or bacteria in the eye.

Blepharitis
Irritated red, puffy (inflamed) eyelids, and can affect either the inside or the outside of the eyelids. This is a chronic, recurrent condition where the oily secretions of the eyelid Meibomian glands accumulate on the eyelid margin. The accumulated matter is an irritant to the eyes themselves. The cause can be a bacterial overgrowth, mites, or allergy, or other.

Here is an overview of his treatment:
Recap of treatment:
Restasis Drops, twice a day, to increase the body’s own tear production
Moisture Drops, 4-6 times per day, to provide external lubrication
Eyelid Wash, twice a day, to remove the irritants to the eye
Antibiotic Eye Ointment, only if needed after a month, if the increased tears from the Restasis don't take care of the problem.

Now, is Dad doing all of this? No....he is doing the restatsis, and his eyes are TONS better.

Oh, btw, he also got knew glasses at the time, his prescription changed very little.
Dad, stage IV CC, mets to liver, 2007-2008
surgery, Xelox, and IP-6
NED summer 2009
surveillance stopped summer 2014, due to age
died 1/2018 at age 88, from Parkinson's and respiratory infection
(Parkinson's triggered by one of his cancer surgeries and/or chemo)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”