Symptom question

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Blondie24

Symptom question

Postby Blondie24 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:34 pm

Hi everyone,
I have had off and on narrow stools for a few years now, mostly during hormonal changes once a month, but occasionally other times. My question is when I take fiber supplements the stool is normal, but then on occasion it appears as though it goes through a play doh shaper? Sorry that is the best way to describe it. But since the stool bulks up again I tend to not worry - should I? I am 43. I am on a beta blocker for PVCs and worry about getting a colonoscopy and being partially sedated.
Thanks,
Amy

RobinS

Postby RobinS » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:10 pm

Hi Amy,

I would say talk to your doctor about your concerns. During my monthly cycles I would have very soft stools followed by constipation. I have a family history of polyps and asked for a colonoscopy during my yearly exam when I was 45. I had only one polyp which turned out to be cancerous and after colon-resection surgery found it had gotten into one lymph node so I am going through chemo. No fun. I hope your doctor listens to your concerns and finds a way to get you checked.

Take care,
Robin

Blondie24

Postby Blondie24 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:47 pm

Thanks Robin...the fact that fiber helps makes me think it's not anything, but I am still worried.

Nebtans

fiber helps.... may disguise symptoms

Postby Nebtans » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:22 am

Fiber helps me also. I can eat a large bowl of Raisan Bran and have a relatively normal movement.

have been this way for years. Never gave it much thought, TILL I STARTED BLEEDING.

Get yourself checked if you have any abnormality that has been of a concern.

The colonoscopy is nothing... You drink some nasty stuff... Mine was not all that bad and sleep for a while. You will likely not remeber leaving afterwards and for several hours of that day.

Ask Your Doc to prescribe PEG3350 w/ electrolyes It cheaper and not tast nearly so bad as ithers I have heard about.

Good luck to you and may your be negative!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”