mom has 3cm mass in colon multiple mass liver

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
momof271

mom has 3cm mass in colon multiple mass liver

Postby momof271 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

My mother has been feeling ill the past 3 weeks. Nausea, stomach pain, fatigue and unable to have more than a tiny bowel movement. She went to the dr. on Monday and they did a ultrasound thinking gallbladder. The ultrasound showed multiple masses in her liver the largest at 12 cm. They did a CT scan on Tues which showed a 3cm mass in her colon. The dr had her come in this morning and told her he felt it was colon cancer that had went to her liver. She is a nurse at our local hospital who works with this dr, he told her to take a leave of absence to keep up her strength. She meets with a surgeon tommorow about having a biopsy of the mass in her colon. She tested positive for blood in her stool.
My question is could this possibly be something else since there hasnt been a biopsy yet? The radiologist report said colonrectal cancer matasticized to liver. She also has 2 small spots on her lung but the report said he didnt think that was cancer. We are all just trying to stay positive since there hasnt been a biopsy yet. I just dont understand how they can tell for sure without a biopsy.

Gaelen

Re: mom has 3cm mass in colon multiple mass liver

Postby Gaelen » Thu May 20, 2010 5:21 am

Biopsy?
If they are trying to establish (or rule out) CRC, the next step isn't a surgeon and a biopsy - unless that's equal to a gastroenterologist or gastro surgeon and colonoscopy, during which time they can take a biopsy of anything they find inside the colon and/or rectum. Is the mass in the colon, or outside it? If the mass is suspected IN the colon, the needed procedure is a colonoscopy.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Thu May 20, 2010 8:20 am

Agree with Gaelen, the next step would be colonscopy with a biopsy of the suspicious area. It does sound like the docs are right as the signs all point to metastatic colon cancer. You don't really get growths on both the liver and colon if it's not colon cancer. Couple that with the GI trouble and the blood in the stool and I'm really sorry that I can't offer another explaination. Good luck with the biopsy and remember, we're here to help :)
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

momof271

Postby momof271 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:19 pm

They are going to do the colonoscopy Tuesday to get a biopsy of the 3 cm tumor in her colon. The tumor is where the small intestine meets the large intestine. The surgeon she met with today said he was setting her up with a oncologist and a surgical team. He said the tumor needs removed and she would probably have a colostomy bag. He explained to her that this was not fixable but they would try to give her more time. Im hoping when we meet with the oncologist he can give us some more answers. I just always thought without a biopsy of a tumor they couldnt tell you for sure you had cancer. I was hoping the tumors in her liver and colon were totally unrelated and some kind of fatty type benign growths. Thank you for your help and Im sure I will be back with more questions in the coming weeks.

karin
Facebook Username: Karin Tobin Fagner

Postby karin » Fri May 21, 2010 12:10 am

I just wanted to say I'm so sorry your mother and you are having to go through this. Unfortunately, SkiFletch is right, it is most likely a metastatic crc given the clinical presentation. I am sorry.

Please know we are here to help you with questions/concerns....this is a very difficult time for her and your family, and if we can help, we'll be here.

Warmest wishes,
Karin
Karin
BFF dx'd June09 w CRC & peritoneal mucinous carcinomatosis @ age 40
She beat cancer for 20 months!

Ashlee H.

Postby Ashlee H. » Fri May 21, 2010 12:58 am

Your mom's situation has some of the same elements of my condition. However, I had absolutely no symptoms. Started having gallbladder attacks, and upon doing an ultrasound they saw a 2.8 cm mass in my liver. The Radiologist recommended waiting 3-4 months, then doing another ultrasound. In the meantime, the gallbladder had to come out. During the surgery, he could see the liver mass, and didn't like the looks of it - so he took a biopsy. Thank goodness for that surgeon because it was cancer, but not the primary cancer. So, the hunt was on, and the colon cancer was found. Shortly after I had 1' of my colon removed. After recovering from surgery, I had 5 rounds of chemo. They then went in for a liver resection, followed by more chemo. I only have one chemo session left. All my doctors have felt very positive and feel I do have a chance of many years left, and maybe even a cure. However, for now, I'm listed as "Chronic" - which is so much better than "terminal". Glad you found this site. Seems no matter what the question, there is someone here who has an answer. Just know that things move very slowly in the cancer world. There are a lot of tests...and a heck of a lot of waiting.

Ashlee
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

momof271
Facebook Username: Kim Matheny

Postby momof271 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Thank you. Mom was feeling pretty good yesterday she had taken Colace and was able to have some relief. She has not been able to eat much she mostly drinks buttermilk she says it is the only thing that doesnt make her hurt. But last night she ate solid food. This afternoon she started feeling really sick and hurting and I wondered if it was because of the solid food. I was glad she finally ate something and ate more than one bite.
But I wondered if the tumor would make it harder for the solid food to go down? The surgeon doing the biopsy said nothing about not eating solid food. My dad did inform me tonight that the surgeon was concerned that he might not be able to get the scope past the tumor Tuesday. It makes sense to me if he is worried about the scope fitting through there that solid food would have a problem too. Or would solid food be broken down enough by then to be fine. I dont know. She needs to eat she has lost alot of weight. I bought her some Ensure thinking the extra calories would help. And if she is hungry and craving something I wouldnt tell her no. But if she knew the solid food was making it worse she would eat softer things Im sure. I will ask the surgeon these questions Tuesday, she starts clear liquids Monday morning.
I was just wondering and knew someone in here would be able to give me an idea, I would hate for her to be trying to eat this weekend and making herself hurt worse. I feel very ignorant. My mom is a nurse, LPN in Senior Care, but she is in such shock and grief that she cant think past the diagnosis. Thank you

airic

Postby airic » Sat May 22, 2010 3:37 pm

Had same problems as your mom. Had blood in stool did a colonoscopy and he saw a big blockage. This was on a friday. Weekend was bad reading about colon cancer. Had Ct on Monday talked with surgeon on thursday. He was brought here from Pa. by my local hosp. He is the only surgical Onc. in the state now. He look at Ct showed me all the stuff that was not right. I had 4 lymph nodes that were enlarged and a spot on liver and the colon blockage. He was honest with me and told me it was colon cancer. Went in for surgery on the next friday and he took a good portion of colon all lymph nodes up left side and the spot on liver. All came back as positive for cancer. You do need a colonoscopy and have them take a peice. I had a temp. colostemy bag due to a small leak. They took it down 2 month later before chemo. There is alot of things being throwen at you just need to get head striaght and go for what is best.
Stage IV Colon Cancer
8 inches of Colon removed 11-13-09
Lymph Nodes removed 11-13-09
Liver peice removed 11-13-09
Colosotmy Bag 11-17-09
Start Chomo FLOFOX6 Jan. 4th 2010

momof271
Facebook Username: Kim Matheny

Postby momof271 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:13 pm

Thank you I finally got to see a copy of moms radiology report today. It states there is a 3.5 cm mass at the junction of the descending colon and sigmoid colon. Its not where the small meets the large intestine like I was told. Does this make a difference in terms of how it can be treated?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”