"Some thinning"? Gimme a break

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
starbuck30

"Some thinning"? Gimme a break

Postby starbuck30 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:36 pm

So, it's not the worst of the side effects by FAR, but it's still annoying. When I started Folfox I was told by my onc and all the nurses that I wouldn't lose my hair but I might notice "some thinning". Yeah? Well "some thinning" my ass. I've been pulling out HANDFULS of hair since round 2 and since I had really long hair it seems like way more than it really is. So today I went down to the salon, and chopped it all off, Tinkerbell-style (it's actually kinda cute, just not what I'm used to). I figure, I need the chemo, losing my hair's stressing me out, it'll grow back, and f*@k it if it can't take a joke. By the time this is over I may have to shave it ALL off and if so, then fine. I can cope with that. Still, this sucks. I know, wah wah. I'm in the middle of cancer treatment and I'm whining about losing my hair. Ugh.
2/26/10 Dx'd colon cancer
3/12 complete colerectomy, temporary ileostomy
3/19 pathology came back Stage IIIC CC
4/2 started FOLFOX
Chemo "precautionary", last CT showed NED PLEASE God let's keep it that way
9/16/10 FOLFOX finished! Woo hah!

jenhopesprays

Re: "Some thinning"? Gimme a break

Postby jenhopesprays » Wed May 19, 2010 7:46 pm

Whine away...... I can so relate.

I have longer hair too and it is not fun to see it covering the drain in the shower.

Tinkerbell has cute hair and you have a cute face. I can see it looking great on you.

I might caution you to not shave it off. I was tempted to do that but was warned not to and it stopped falling out. So in the end I got some bangs that I didn't sign up for but the serious hair loss was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

BTW - I did try on different wigs and the wig folks cautioned me from the shave also. Thank goodness I controlled myself. I lost a bunch of hair but still had enough not to need a wig, so you may just wait and see.

Chemo - The ultimate love/hate relationship.

Jennifer
Stage IV: dx 8/07 at 39.. colon & liver resection & rt ovary
17 rounds of folfox.
12/08 ovary tumor removed with HIPEC & folfiri w/Avastin
9/11 liver resection # 2 followed by chemo
NED

Have Hope with Capitol H

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Wed May 19, 2010 7:50 pm

Here's the real question, is it falling out, or breaking on you? I rarely see roots on what comes out of my hair, but instead it looks like it's breaking for me. I'd say I've thinned ~30% but with short guy hair the only people that notice are me, my fiancee, and my barber. Everybody else doesn't have a clue :). I'd imagine it's harder for girls with long hair as it beaks and leaves longer looking strands. Good luck with the new style, hopefull it's less annoying :)
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Wed May 19, 2010 8:22 pm

You know, losing your hair is traumatic, we go through so much already so whine away....you're entitled! My hair thinned and looked so scraggly especially at the ends so I got mine cut quite shortish too. No-one really noticed that it thinned but I could notice! I got sick of picking all the hairs off my clothes. I'm sure you look gorgeous with your new look!
Take care and best wishes,
Michelle
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

LisaLisa

Postby LisaLisa » Wed May 19, 2010 9:43 pm

I didn't lose any hair until about half way through and then a lot at the end. I probably lost about 50%. I did get it cut, not totally short as suggested but into a medium bob. I absolutely hate my hair now, and feel the same as you about whining about it when I should feel lucky I am not bald. I am just hoping and praying for it to grow back fast! Has anyone had permanent thin hair due to chemo? Or does it grow back normal eventually?

I like the idea of a pixie cut. I'm sure you look adorable, however I feel ya on the being frustrated part.. it does just suck doesn't it??

Ashlee H.

Postby Ashlee H. » Wed May 19, 2010 10:22 pm

I started seeing my hair thin after my 3rd round of chemo. Oxi was stopped at #10, and my hair hasn't been falling out anymore. I have thin, straight hair to start with, and probably lost 1/3 of it. I also cut mine into a chin length style. I noticed the loss more in front, so I had my bangs cut thicker. The hair above my ears also thinned out a lot, which my hair dresser pointed out to me. I'm hoping it grows back...but too soon to tell. I did continue to put highlights in my hair, which helped the appearance. My hairdresser used a method where he did not have to use heat. But, the most important thing I learned was to use the heavy conditioner. Like SkiFletch, I noticed my hair was breaking off more than falling out. The heavy conditioner helped a lot!

Ashlee
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

pabl

Postby pabl » Thu May 20, 2010 8:43 am

I got the short haircut too (lots of layers so it looks more full---I like the quoffed messy look myself).
Also, you might try a fish oil supplement. The omega 3's help hair, nails, etc. so I am told. I take it and just started taking Acetyl Carnitine to hopefully avoid more neuropathy---it helps protect the nerves. I also take kelp (seaweed because I want the nutrients from the sea in case the soil in which the food is grown is lacking in nutrients and trace elements). I also take Resveratrol (spelling?). And green tea.
I might be a nut about all of this stuff---but it helps me feel better about taking care of my body and soul...I also go to the cancer wellness center for yoga and meditation and try to lift dumbells and ride the bike when I am not connected to the pump. I have 4 more oxi-5fus to go and then the ileo reversal. Stoked!
Pam
RC 8 '09 at 45 y/o
Stage 3, 2 nodes
9 '09 rad and xel.
2 '10 resect, temp. ileo
3 '10 started 8 rounds Folfox, finished 6.
9 '10 ileo reverse
CT Scan---missed a 2 mm lung met (Jan '11)
Grew to 1 cm till yr. ct scan---VATS (Jan '12)
NED

dsl

Postby dsl » Thu May 20, 2010 10:28 am

I totally understand where you are coming from. I am 36 years old and have always been so concerned about how I dress and look. I also, have a temp bag until hopefully sept. when I should be finished my final rounds on chemo. I have gone through 5 treatments so far and have 7 left. And I just can't imagine how much more hair can I lose.
mom of 2 kids (6 & 3)
37 years old
diag: stage 3b colonrectal cancer 11/09
6 wks chemo and rad finished 12/09
surgery 2/10, temp illestomy
12 more rounds of chemo finished 8/22/10
takedown 11/17/10
So Far So Good!!!!!!Thanks to many prayers!!!!

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Thu May 20, 2010 11:26 am

I didn't lose any hair on folfox but I knew I would lose some if not all on irinotican and I thought no problem it won't bother me. It does bother me so I know how you feel! Mine is so thin and I hate it. I haven't cut mine as shot as you but I thik it's about time to just do it.

Just remember that that chemo is killing all those bad cells as well and when your hair comes hopefully it will come in just how you want it!
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

starbuck30

Postby starbuck30 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:52 am

Thanks for all the support you guys. It truly makes me feel a lot better about the situation. I never thought losing my hair would bother me the same way the nausea and ileo do, but it does seem to add insult to injury.

In response to Fletch's question: yeah, it's falling out, not just breaking. Plenty of roots on what I'm picking off my clothes and pillows. Ah well. It's temporary, right?

And thanks for the props on rockin a pixie cut. Everyone else seems to love it, and I don't hate it, but if anyone asks me for pixie dust I might brain them with my 5FU pump. :)

I think I'll look into that fish oil recommendation. It can't hurt. Also, Aveda makes a thickening solution that's supposed to be pretty awesome.
2/26/10 Dx'd colon cancer
3/12 complete colerectomy, temporary ileostomy
3/19 pathology came back Stage IIIC CC
4/2 started FOLFOX
Chemo "precautionary", last CT showed NED PLEASE God let's keep it that way
9/16/10 FOLFOX finished! Woo hah!

Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

Postby Kathryn in MN » Thu May 20, 2010 2:17 pm

I didn't start thinning till about 1/2-way through and then it was coming out in handfulls. I lost over 90% of my hair. I receeded in the front and thinned everywhere else. Because I had long hair, I pulled it into a ponytail - optical allusion. From the front it looks like my hair is so short because it is pulled into the back. But it isn't - the hair in front is the little bit I still had (which I cut into short bangs), and the new growth. My ponytail isn't even 1/10th the size it was. I had trouble getting most pony holders wrapped around my hair a second time so I could use them. I could only use the very large ones. Now I use the tiny little ones I used on my kids when they were babies. And I wrap them around about 6 times or more. I thought about chopping off the tiny bit of hair I have left, but I think I'm better off with the optical allusion I have going now. The hairs are scattered so that when I pull it into a ponytail you can't see the bald spots so much. There is no way at all to leave my hair down - boy does that look funny! The new hairs are all less than an inch long, and baby fine and whispy. They aren't the kind you can control at all. Only time will tell what I'll end up with. It is very strange to me, as I have had long, super thick, coarser hair my entire life. Up until my boys were born I had my hair thinned every time I got it trimmed - way too much hair. I lost a lot when they were born and stopped getting it thinned, but it was still very thick. I guess I won't ever be paying anyone to thin it again. ;)

I stopped chemo the beginning of April, but the hair continues to fall out. I'm not sure if it was the 5-FU, oxaliplatin, or if it is the Coumadin I am still on.

But, the good thing is I am much cooler on the hot days! My hair was so thick it was like walking around with a blanket on my head. No more.

I'd rather be cancer-free than have hair back. I'll know tomorrow if I've made the trade-off.
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

Hope

Postby Hope » Thu May 20, 2010 8:15 pm

I lost my hair after one treatment for what they thought was ovarian cancer (turned out to be colon cancer--so second surgery)--back to the hair. I was told it would fall out so I sent my long braid to locks of love--it helped but still having wads of hair come out every shower was not fun--plus my head was sore.

I think a good THIS STINKS at the top of your lungs helps too.

My hair grew back thicker and curly. That was fun.

Rooting for you!!!!!! :D
12/08: open hyster. etc DX #1 Ovarian C 1 chemo
2/09: 2nd patho. C C prime--2nd surg. R colectomy nodes (36) clear
Stage IV CC: 6 mo. FOLFOX/Avastin
3/25/10 PET scan: lesion: rectus muscle
James 1:2-4

TMGinMN

Postby TMGinMN » Thu May 20, 2010 10:25 pm

OK - here's a weird one. I just had round 42 of chemo, mainly FOLFIRI and the hair on my head is thinning. I don't care as much since I'm a guy and it doesn't stand out, plus my youngest daughter surfers from Alopecia Areata (auto immune condition resulting in hair loss). Here's the weird part... the hair on my legs is completely gone. It looks like I shave my legs which is a bit strange for a 47 year old guy. The hair on my arms is almost gone so I guess it's just a matter of time before my scalp goes.
When I had a break during the winter 08/09 all came back as thick as ever. Good luck with yours.

starbuck30

Postby starbuck30 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:00 am

The salon donated my hair to help clean up the oil spill in the Gulf. I guess they make specialized nets out of the hair that soak up the oil. However it works, it DID make me feel a little better. At least it wasn't just thrown away.

I've heard the hair can grow back a different color/texture. I'm holding out for blue. Dark blue. I think I could pull it off. :D

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Fri May 21, 2010 9:51 am

Good luck holding out for blue hair, I think that might be a CC first :)

I too have "bald" spots on my legs. Right where my wallet and keys sit in my pockets, and where my pants rub just above my knees I have bald spots. Looks kinda funny :)
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”