Medi-PORT placement feedback ???

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CRguy

Medi-PORT placement feedback ???

Postby CRguy » Wed May 19, 2010 11:12 am

Hi folks, just wanted any off the cuff feedback from those who have had infusion ports placed for chemo. I believe it will be a Bard, chest placement by a vascular surgeon, and is not a PICC line.

My thoughts are to go for the right side, to avoid the driver side seat belt shoulder harness. I don't have clothing issues ( no suspenders or bra straps to worry about :D ) [[ Then I guess I'll have to call it a Starboard, not a PORT ? ]]

I am wondering how much, if any, impairment or limitation in using the arm and shoulder with the port in place, as the right is my dominant side. I know the docs say "should be no problems..." but they don't have ports now do they ???? I would rather talk to real users for REAL feedback....so any feedback would be much appreciated.

many Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Ashlee H.

Re: Medi-PORT placement feedback ???

Postby Ashlee H. » Wed May 19, 2010 11:22 am

Glad to see you are having a Vascular Surgeon put it in. A radiology Dr. put mine it, and it took about 1 1/2 hours of him poking my neck A few months later, I spoke with a Vascular Surgeon and he told me there is no way I should have experienced the pain I did. My ONC has agreed if I get it taken out,and have to have another one put in...the Vascular Surgeon will do it. I have it on my right side, and it really doesn't cause a problem at all. I'm aware of it at times, so that is just annoying 'cause it's a reminder I am fighting the cancer. But, when it comes to chemo...it is a wonderful thing. I use the lidocaine creme on it prior to them poking it 'cause I'm a baby and just don't want any unnecessary pain. They also use the port for my CATscans, but can't for the PETscan (I'm told due to the chemicals). For most people, the procedure to have it put in is very easy with little pain. But, things can go wrong, and then you have the pain for a bit longer...but I got through it ok. You'll know your limitations with it...if it hurts when you do that...Don't Do That!

Ashlee
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

martoonca

Postby martoonca » Wed May 19, 2010 11:25 am

Good day sir,
Had mine for just over a year now right side dominant as well. To date no issues, have banged it a few times, bit of a sting when it happens and thats been about it. No movement restrictions working around the house or working out. All in all none eventful. For me its been a bonus instead of PICC line. Happy travels
dx stage 3c CC 09/08
folfox started 11/08
finished chemo 05/09
ileo reversal 10/09
lynch positive mlh1

KellyBelle
Facebook Username: Kelly Davis Keeling

Postby KellyBelle » Wed May 19, 2010 11:27 am

Mine was on my right side --the surgeon suggested that because of the seatbelt issue. I don't really remember it bothering me when I was a passenger in a car. It was about 3" below my collar bone. Other than some bruising for about a week after the port placement and a sore arm for a couple of days following the surgery, the whole thing was a breeze.

I know some people here have horror stories about their ports and I'm sure you'll hear them, but I didn't have any problems other than being OCD-ish about it and wanting to touch it all the time (which is why I got it taken out six months post-chemo). :oops:

Good luck!

Kelly
Diagnosed March, 2008
Stage IIIC
Colo-Anal Reconstructive Surgery April, 2008
Finished Folfox treatment November, 2008
NED! December 2008
NED! December 2011

Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.
~Grandma Moses

tmm903
Facebook Username: Tracy Green Mariano

Postby tmm903 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:32 am

Hi!
I have my mediport on the right side and have had no issues at all. Mine was put in by a radiology doctor and he was done in 20 minutes. So I guess it depends on the doc too. I too use lidocaine cream prior to my treatment and have no complaints. According to the doc that put my port in, he said they generally go for the right side. I have no clothing issues as I don't worry at all if the port area is showing--for me it adds character and at times gives me the opportunity to explain what it is and why I have it. :D
Tracy
DX 12/28/09 Stage 4 CC w/mets to liver
Sigmoid colon resection 1/11/10
FOLFOX Chemo FINISHED 8/27/10
Ileostomy reversed 10/11/10
FOLFIRI chemo FINISHED 5/6/11
married to Mike and mom to Austyn, age 6

Nanette
Facebook Username: Nanette Pepperday-Derry

Postby Nanette » Wed May 19, 2010 12:40 pm

Hey CRguy-

Bruce had his on the right side, which also is his dominant side. He really didn't have a problem with his and he also golfs. I didn't know a vascular surgeon should be the one to put it in. Bruce had his surgeon (general) who did his colectomy, also put the port in. She also removed it after he was finished with chemo.

The only issue he has now is his scar site itches since the port was removed. He also has been working out and his GP thinks from feeling around the scar site, there is a little bit of scar tissue built up underneath.

Otherwise, it was a breeze when he had it implanted. Here's what happened...it was Bruce's birthday. He had a choice of starting chemo or have the port implanted on his birthday. He chose the latter. We told the surgeon we wanted to go out to dinner after the procedure, to celebrate (his birthday...not his port! :) ). They hardly gave him any anesthesia, but he didn't feel any pain. We were out of there in a couple hours and enjoyed our dinner at our favorite Thai restaurant!

Good luck and I hope this helps!
-Nanette
Husband, Bruce - diag. 12/07/08 at age 50
Stage IIIB CC, poorly diff, muc. adeno, sig. ring cell
Stage I bladder cancer
1 of 17 LN affected
Colonectomy 12/11/08
Finished chemo/rad on 8/19/09
Four years NED on 12/11/12 - Thank God!!
Livin' life!!!!!!

EBMJ

Postby EBMJ » Wed May 19, 2010 2:22 pm

I have had a left side port for 3 years now with no problems. Haven't snagged a seatbelt yet. I am able to golf with it, lift weights and exercise with no discomfort.

Jim
51 year old male, DX: Stage IV CC with liver mets 07
Too many Surgeries
Too much chemo
Too much radiation
PM me if you want the details

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Wed May 19, 2010 3:01 pm

I demanded a left side port when I had mine put in because I was worried about complications if they tried the right and failed. I had significant arm discomfort for at least a week following the surgery and was glad I had full use of my right (dominant) arm. As far as the seatbelt thing goes, in the winter it wasn't a problem at all when I was wearing jackets. Now that it's summertime, I dragged my butt into a local fabric store and purchased a small block of foam for a buck or two. I keep that in the car and just slip it under the belt, works great for me. Like Jim, I can golf, lift weights and exercise just fine with mine, although it took a good 3-4 weeks until I was comfortable with the pain to do it. Now, 5 months later, I barely know it's there.
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed May 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanx for the feedback so far..all good input for me.

I had a recent VATS on the left side and had lingering ?? as to whether any scarring or vascular disruptions could affect their "first try" there ?? I will ask the vascular surgeon in the pre-surg consult on Friday.

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

RickMurtagh

Postby RickMurtagh » Wed May 19, 2010 4:34 pm

I was pretty lucky - the doctor who did my port surgery was undergoing chemo and had a port - he even showed it to me. Before surgery we talked for a while about which side, care and possible issues. He was pretty open and honest. I won't scare you with the complications because they are not very common and not much more than what can occur any time you have surgery. The biggest concern is infection.
I picked right side because (okay - for no particular reason). I found driving or sitting as a passenger was not an issue (my ileo was much more of a concern there). It took a week or so to totally recover from the port surgery and after that I never noticed it, except for the time I forgot to put something on the port the day of chemo.
And by something I mean...
Slather the skin covering the port with lidocaine cream (rx) and put a little cellophane or piece of a cut up sandwich bag over it so it does not stain your clothes. When they stick the needle in the port you won't feel a thing. If they do not prescribe something for numbing it just say, "Bad doctor, bad" and spritz him in the face with some water. It works for dogs sometimes - let us know how it works out.

piece of pie - good luck!
Rick, 61
DX III two tumors Feb 09
Chemo/rad March 09
Ileo June 09
FOLFOX July 09
Takedown April 10
Mets to the sacrum and presacral area March 11 - NOT
Chronic infection of sacrum that looked like cancer (including a blockage)!
Permanent ileo April 11

pstolarski
Facebook Username: Paul.stolarski

Postby pstolarski » Wed May 19, 2010 7:34 pm

I had mine placed on the right side as well. I play golf, basketball, baseball and lifted weights with it and still have it in. I am deciding when to take it out. I want to get it out as it bothers my daughter every time she sees it and the fact it reminds me of the past. The only thing I can say which has not been discussed is whether the tube from the port to the vein goes over or under the collar bone. Mine goes over the collar bone. I heard it is better for it to go over rather than under. It has less of a chance of the end coming out of the vein when routed over than under. The only issue I had was when it was fist placed if I wore a dress shirt that had a starched/stiff collar it could rub on the spot where the tube routed over the collar bone and the small scare that goes along with it. After a month or so you really don't notice it as much.

Good luck!
Colon Cancer - DX 5/7/09 Age 42 - Right Hemicolectomy
DX: Stage IIA - T3N0M0 0/31 lymphnodes, poorly diff adenocarcinoma
Genetics testing: Negative
Started Folfox 7/22/09
Finish Folfox 12/24/09 8 rounds of Oxi

Puppyluv6

Postby Puppyluv6 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:47 pm

Unfortunately I had a lot of trouble with my medi port. My oncology surgeon put it in, but from the day it was put in it hurt. I asked for it to be put on the right side because I am left handed. That worked fine for me, but the port itself was very painful. Most people don't have this problem. I had to hold my hand over my port if I were in the car on a bumpy road. When the nurses came to change my bag of 5FU, when they would hook it up again, it was as if I was being nailed to my kitchen chair. My surgeon injected the scar with alcohol, but it didn't kill the nerve. It was so agonizing even when I was not hooked up, that I requested it out before they really wanted to take it out. When I had adjutant chemo after surgery, I would not let them use my port because of the pain. I had them put it in my vein in my arm. I know I am unusual. I don't know why my port was so painful. But it's been a year this past Feb. that it was removed and the darn scar is very, very itchy all the time. I have to take an allergy pill for the itch to go away. It scares me to think that maybe someday I may have to have a port put back in, that is how bad it was. I wonder if they have ever hooked a port up without inserting it in the chest, just have it dangling from a tube inside, instead of that small plastic disk. My daughter had breast cancer and her port never bothered her. She had it in for two years and never in pain, never itched, and I know that 99 per cent are like that. Good luck with yours.

seamonkey
Facebook Username: Darren Stiles

Postby seamonkey » Wed May 19, 2010 7:57 pm

I am right handed and had mine placed on right side. I had shoulder pain for 2 days afterward (felt like I had pitched 9 innings on short rest). Took about 1.5 weeks for the swelling to go away. Since then I have no issues with the port besides the occasional blockage between infusions. I have remained active riding my bicylce on the "good" week of treatment and playing a ton of golf with my son. :D
50 year old male dx 1/12/10
Resection 1/26/10
Stage 2A - T3 N0 M0, moderately differentiated, 0/13 LN+
Finished Chemotherapy 8/26/10
Six years cancer free!

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Wed May 19, 2010 8:08 pm

Hey CRguy,

I have a port, it's on the right side. I didn't have a choice as to what side, was just told that it would be put in on the right side. It's just under my collar bone. My surgeon put it in under a GA. Was a bit sore at first while the incision healed but after that no problems. It would wake me up at first if I rolled onto it during the night but no problems once it healed. I don't like to touch it, it feels a bit weird, like a little alien under the skin. You won't have any restriction or mobility issues with it. If you have any further questions, ask away.

Best wishes

Michelle
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Wed May 19, 2010 8:53 pm

CRguy wrote:Thanx for the feedback so far..all good input for me.

I had a recent VATS on the left side and had lingering ?? as to whether any scarring or vascular disruptions could affect their "first try" there ?? I will ask the vascular surgeon in the pre-surg consult on Friday.

Cheers
CRguy

Good point about the recent VATS on the left side.

I had a left side port - no problems - even with a seatbelt. Minor aches after it was placed by the vascular surgeon - just needed healing time. My main thing was what side I slept on - it was quite uncomfortable if I slept on the side with the port but then I am a side sleeper. If the VATS surgery doesn't sway the decision, I wouldn't worry about the seatbelt (other than for about a week or two) and I'd think more about side sleeping. :-) YMMV.....
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”