Rectal Melanoma

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Maureen

Rectal Melanoma

Postby Maureen » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:12 am

My sister underwent extensive abdomino - perineal surgery six weeks ago
for removal of a rectal melanoma and surrounding lymph glands. She is recovering well and according to MRI scans etc. there are no further lesions.
Her oncologist and surgeon feel that chemotherapy is not appropriate at present as it wouldn't prevent a recurrence of the condition. Does anyone have information about the incidence of recurring colonic melanoma and chemotherapy treatment?

Holly32

Postby Holly32 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:24 am

Hi,
I don't quite know what your sister had, but I can tell you my situation to see if it helps. I had my colon resection about a month ago. I had a PET scan last week and it came back perfect.(YEAH!). so they say I'm cancer free, but now I have to do chemo starting Thursday for three months. My doctor said it was more of an "insurance" or preventative measure. Being so young, that's what they advised me to do. I hope this helps. _Holly

tamfigg

Postby tamfigg » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:46 am

I run a non profit organization as well for Colon Cancer, figg tree foundation. We have a doctor and nurse that help with our site questions, I will forward your question to our doctor and nurse and see what they know about it. I will post a reply to this site. For those of you out there with questions that you want to ask a doctor or nurse please know that our site, www.figgtree.com will have that as an added feature to our site within the next week.

Tammy Figg

tamfigg

Postby tamfigg » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:02 am

Maureen,
The doctor that helps with our site for the Figg Tree Foundation needs some more information.

As I don't have several pieces of key information, I cannot prognosticate on this person's condition. I would suggest a visit to a melanoma oncologist. (We do have Dr. Linette at Siteman Ca. Ctr.) The pathology, scans and labs could be reviewed. Given the known situation she will need to be followed closely.
Dr. Ben Tan

If you have that information please e-mail me at figgtree@hotmail.com

Tammy Figg

tamfigg

Postby tamfigg » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:06 am

Info needed Maureen would be:

The missing info relates to the size of the melanoma, and the number of lymph nodes
recovered during the surgery and which of these were positive. Sally

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”