How long did you wait before starting chemo after surgery?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
shel28

How long did you wait before starting chemo after surgery?

Postby shel28 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:28 pm

Good news today. I saw the surgeon for the first time after radiation and the tumor has shrunk completely. All that is left of my original 3 cm tumor is an ulcer. I'm very happy. Now I have to wait til after surgery to see if my lymph nodes are clear. Originally at least 3 were cancerous. My question is how long after surgery (low anterior resection) did you start chemo. I'm not seeing my oncologist for a couple of weeks and I am trying to get an idea of what to expect.
Michelle. Stage III rectal cancer. Diagnosed Dec. 27, 2006. 28 years old. Los Angeles, CA and Denver, CO.

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:35 pm

I had surgery on March 5th - 8 inches of my colon, 15 lymph nodes (I also had a cyst on my ovary so they removed it, my ovary and my fallopian tube)....my oncologist is waiting 6 weeks from the date of my surgery for my first treatment.

He has planned my first treatment to be on Tuesday, April 17th. However, I have had trouble with my incision and they have had to open it in three places and a nurse comes to my house to pack the wounds and what-not. They want the wounds to be totally healed before I start chemo - so we are hoping that that happens

suzieh

Postby suzieh » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:40 pm

Congratulations on your good news. I started Chemo 3 weeks after surgery. Both oncology opinions were consistent with starting that quickly. No one wanted to wait longer than 4 weeks for sure. If you are going to have Avastin, they can add that in at 6 weeks post-operatively. The sooner the better is a good motto.

missjv

Postby missjv » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:41 pm

hi,
well congratulations on your good news thats great! i started chemo right away i had port put in on a tuesday and started chemo the next day. i did not have any surgery before chemo except port placement i had a colonoscopy which removed the cancerous polyp so i started chemo right away my 1st chemo i did not have avastin but the 2nd one i did cause port area was healed well and then had 5fu, oxaliplatin, and avastin which worked great my liver lesions shrunk 70% and then off to liver resection and i decided to have sigmoid part of my colon removed as well since thats where the nasty polyp grew. i am now on 5fu, irinotecan or campostar until june.

missjv

Carolyn JB

Postby Carolyn JB » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:17 pm

I had my surgery to remove the tumor on Jan 17th and my first chemo on Feb. 26th. there had been some discussion about trying to do a lung biopsy before starting chemo but then I got a cold and it would ahve added atleast 3 more weeks on before I could start chemo so we started chemo!

Carolyn

RobinS

Postby RobinS » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:42 pm

I had a colon resection November 8th, CT scan in early December, port installed December 6th and chemo December 11th. 8 down, 4 to go!
Robin

LA8

Postby LA8 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:57 am

From what I understand Adjuvant Chemo should be started within three months of the surgery to be effective.

ASTEPHENS33

My experience

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:59 am

I had stage III colon cancer. The oncologist said that I could start three weeks after surgery, but I wanted until 5. I felt physically stronger. He said that field trials for the drugs I was taking had people starting by week 6, so anything before then he supported.

pjpeace

Postby pjpeace » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:14 pm

That totally ROCKS!!!! Congrats!!! I had my first surgery at the end of June and started chemo early August. Then after chemo they waited 6 weeks due to the chemo (it would've been only 3 if it was the typical 3 chemo but they used Avastin too so since it's a newer thing wanted to make sure that didn't interfer with my healing).

Best of luck to ya!!!!
"When you've been abandoned in the desert and the vultures are circling and squawking at you...raise you fist at them and yell "I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!"
Stage IV @ 30 yrs. 6/06 Ms. April 2008
Recurrence to pancreas 2/09 & 6/10

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”