stage 4 colon cancer @ 22 years old

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Austin131

stage 4 colon cancer @ 22 years old

Postby Austin131 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:17 am

I have been living with stage 4 colon cancer for almost 2 years now. Like so many other people here i was misdiagnosed several time. My doctors think i had cancer for about four years before it was found. I would always go to the doctor and talk to him about my symptoms, But because i was young and in decent health they never looked for cancer, I even had a doctor tell me that it was just hemorrhoids. Six months later I had to go to the hospital three times before the gave me a ct scan. The doctors later found three tumors one, one in my shoulder, one in my colon that had shut down bowl functions and another in my lymph nodes of my abdomen. They told me i was going to die and there was nothing the could do. I have never felt so low and sad in my entire life. Thankfully I was connected with a great surgical oncologist and a medical oncologist, I got so much support from everyone and just never gave up hope. It was hard and i nearly died a couple of times from sepsis but i got through all the surgery chemo and got rid of all of my tumors I have had one more tumor come back and im doing chemo now to fight it off. but im living with colon cancer every day it can be done you just have to never give up hope

Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

Stage IV

Postby Edward » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:23 pm

Austin131

It is great to hear your story. There are many Stage IV stories on this board to share. One of the things that may be missing are many male perspectives posting their story. I have discussed many times with members on this board and others who have read the forum. We here wish you well in your continued fight and recovery. Thank you for sharing your story.
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:42 pm

Wow-I think I will stop my pity party now. This forum really puts a lot into perspective for me when I feel like my colon cancer is going to get the best of me. I am stage 3 (originally the surgeon told me stage 2, so when I met with my oncologist for the first time last Tuesday I was in for a shock).

You have really fought such a tough battle and sound very strong. I don't know how you do it. Keep fighting!

Carolyn JB

Postby Carolyn JB » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:08 pm

Thanks for posting! I am only a few momths into this whole experience and your post was so positive - It was great to read it and read that you are doing well!

Carolyn

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:45 pm

Your post has brought tears to my eyes and has me very worried. I assume you were diagnosed at 20 and it sounds like the doctors think you had cancer for 4 years. I was told that it takes 10 years for a polyp to become cancer. Does that mean you started developing what would be stage IV colon cancer at age 6?

On an earlier post I mentioned that my 6 year old is having a colonoscopy because she has rectal bleeding. In my head I figured I was overreacting because of my history and she, like many youngsters just had fissures. Now I am really scared. Her colonoscopy is on Monday.

Please let me know anything else the doctors may have told you, or maybe your parents remember something from when you were younger.
Diagnosed Stage III Jan 06. Completed Treatment Oct 06. NED Dec 06,

Nebtans

Keep Fighting

Postby Nebtans » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:06 am

I wish you the best of luck.

i know some have been "Cured" others have learned to control this disease.

I Truly believe that the human spirit is one of the best agents in combating disease. You seem to have that fighting spirit!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”