numbing in feet and hands 2 months after chemo?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tandy24
Facebook Username: Lisa Tandy

numbing in feet and hands 2 months after chemo?

Postby tandy24 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:52 pm

Hi everyone,
I have been off of my chemo for two months now. I had radiation, 5fu in buddy pack for 6 weeks 5 days a week, surgery, then 5 months of Oxy., Lev. 5fu push and buddy pack for 48 hours every two weeks.
My fingers and toes starting getting numb a few weeks after chemo ended and are still numb. Is this the norm? Also I have on and off swelling in my fingers and toes they feel tight and stiff some joint pain. anyone have any of these symptoms after chemo?
I had a CAT scan couple weeks ago that came back NED!! PRAISE THE LORD!!! I am 31 stage 3b. Any input would be great thank you.
God Bless and Believe,

Luv2Run

Postby Luv2Run » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:32 pm

I finished chemo last year (March '06). While I no longer have the sensitivity to cold, my left foot often gets the "pins & needles" sensation. It's a small price to pay toward a cancer-free life ahead of you!

I am also had Stage III rectal CA.

Christine

Postby Christine » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:05 pm

Tandy,

The numbness in my fingers and toes started within a couple of weeks of finishing chemo (Folfox with Avastin). After about six months, the nerves in my fingers had healed and there is no more numbness; however, my toes are still numb 10 months later.

Christine

Postby Christine » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:28 pm

Tandy,

The numbness in my fingers and toes started within a couple of weeks of finishing chemo (Folfox with Avastin). After about six months, the nerves in my fingers had healed and there is no more numbness; however, my toes are still numb 10 months later.

Monique

Postby Monique » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:08 pm

Hello Tandy,

It sounds as if you and I had very similar drug treatments. In regards to the numbness, my oncologist informed me that for many people the peripheral neuropathy is at its worst following chemotherapy. I found this to be the case with me. Furthermore, my neuropathy did not significantly decrease until three months following my treatments. For a while there, I thought I’d suffer from it forever. And joint pain? Yes, yes, yes. But, like the neuropathy, the joint pain has improved significantly. Again, I started to see a real difference three months following treatment.

Congratulations on your clear CAT scan, that’s great news.

Best,
Monique

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:44 am

Hi Tandy, im 3mths out now and yes got all the same symtoms aswell. numbness and joint pain. Hopefully in time it will pass.

All the best

Nick

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:05 am

Hi Tandy,

I think it all depends on the person for how long you will have the numbies and also how many treatments you had and if you had it at full strength. Lots of factors. I have been done with treatment now for 19 months and the numbness/swelling has gone from my hands and it no longer tingles up my leg to my knees anymore, but my feet are still numb and tingly on the bottoms and the top of my feet cramp really bad if I go for too long a walk yet. My Oncologist told me that it takes a LONG time for the nerve endings to heal and if you are noticing improvement, that it will go away. He said it could take as long as 3 years just depends on the person. Mine IS getting better it is just happening very slowly! It isn't anything that I can't deal with and now that the joint pain is pretty much gone too, I am just thankful I am alive and will deal with this part just fine!! Hang in there...IT DOES GET BETTER!!!

HUGS Peg

pjpeace

Postby pjpeace » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:13 am

yeah really annoyed with the numbness in my hands now!!! mine got worse too after chemo. i ended chemo the week of 1/22/07. my feet are numb now too. i did notice a little improvement the other day but stinks it hurts my hands to sew. i'm an aritst so my hands are my life!!!! yeah yeah...it's better than the alternative! at least it doesn't hurt to draw...maybe that's a sign i need to start sketching more!

good luck...glad to hear it starts to go away in your hands!
"When you've been abandoned in the desert and the vultures are circling and squawking at you...raise you fist at them and yell "I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!"
Stage IV @ 30 yrs. 6/06 Ms. April 2008
Recurrence to pancreas 2/09 & 6/10

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”