could your toilet give you CC?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
nebtans

could your toilet give you CC?

Postby nebtans » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:52 pm

Your toilet could be the cause of CC?

It seems our western "sitting" Throne may be the cause of several GI diseases.

The folowing are serious links and possibly food for thought. Maybe had we known this we might not be using this board now?

Anyway here are the links.

Take a look and comment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squat_toilet

http://www.toilet-related-ailments.com

http://www.naturesplatform.com

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:09 pm

Looks painful on the knees. :)

missingmom

Postby missingmom » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:14 am

:shock:
I have read the links, looked at the pictures. The evidence is compelling and it does make sense... I am not sure an old dog can be taught new tricks though... a Squatting toilet? I does look painful and in a country of some many obeses people, it seems impractical. I don't mean that as a put down by any means.. but seriously... an obese or elderly or handicapped person would be hard pressed to assume this positioning.
Then we have to ask how do we afford to change our indoor plumbing?
IS it sanitary to have this built into the floor? What about pets and babies getting into them or hurt?
It is something to think about and was an interesting read... but I don't think we are going to be making such changes anytime soon.
Erica
If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:29 am

Hahahaha! This is bringing me back to the times I have visited Japan - those squatting toilets, ugh, I absolutely hated them. Toilet water would squish up next to the toilet (on the floor) where it would hit your shoes, you would walk in it, etc. Ew, I don't want to think about this any more!

Enough of that - so the good news is that there is ZERO evidence at all that this causes cancer of any type, including colorectal cancer! Really truly NO reason for this!

If anyone is having so much trouble that the only way you can poop is to strain or to squat all the way down, you definitely have a problem, and it is not because of the way your body is situated. Most of the GI problems in the "western world" are caused by the simple fact that we don't eat enough fruits and veggies or drink enough water. Therefore we put ourselves in the situation where we need to strain because our stool doesn't have enough fiber in it to come out naturally and easily. I always challenge people to truly drink 100+ oz of water a day and eat at LEAST 2-4 servings of fruit and 3-5 servings of veggies each day. If you still need to strain or squat, you need go to a doctor!

Hemmorhoids are actually caused by straining, and aren't specifically prevented by squatting - although moving around into different positions can definitely make it easier to poop which means less straining and therefore fewer hemmorhoids. But again if you are having this many problems just going to the bathroom, you probably need to increase fruit & veggie intake and if that doesn't work, see a doc and get a colonoscopy. Your body is just not supposed to work this way.

Diverticulosis is basically thought to be caused by increasing pressure in the lining of the colon (specifically the lumen), but again, it is also not caused by squatting or not squatting. I like to think of it like a hernia in your colon - the walls weaken and give way under pressure. Like other GI disorders, increasing fiber intake helps prevent this and also helps "treat" it - if you drink a lot of water and eat fiber, the diverticula are happier and don't hurt so much.

FYI - what I was told about the reason they use these kinds of toilets in other countries is that they find it more sanitary to squat rather than to touch their body to something that others have touched. I don't want to discuss my many experiences using these "squat" toilets, but I am glad to say that using our western style toilets does not cause cancer!

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

Erika

Postby Erika » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:34 am

Colon Clubbers-
I don't know about anyone else, but the psuedoscience on PoopReport (and others) really gets my colon in a bind! What a bunch of crap (heee). Please read with a watchful eye and mind and always question when a website claims something to be "proven" or uses exaggerrated statements of cures.
...but squat on a platform if you'd like. Reminds me of numerous camping trips.
Erika

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:49 pm

damnit. my cancer was caused by a genetic damned default!
I know that it can be caused by several diff. factors but it just makes my blood boil when i continue to hear over and over again, everywhere i look about colon cancer and NOTHING mentioned about the genetic aspect of it.

but aight, i'll get off my soapbox now...

Nebtans

Whoa there.

Postby Nebtans » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:04 am

Hold up.

No reason to get so upset. I am not advocating anything. I just came across a link that was interesting.

I find it interesting that peoples of undeveloped nations have a very low to zero incidence of many major cancers.

It has been suggested that the Hunta and the Eskimo have a low incidence of cancer. Some suggest it is Laetrile Vitamin B17 obtained from the many fruit seeds. Some suggest it is a diet high in Fiber. Some suggest it is the water they drink.

Obviously noone can factor out all the variables. What is of interest is the implications that when these people are "Westernized" that they begin to have the same effects as Western Cultures including increasing Cancer Rates.

So what causes the disease? Could it be the Diet? Several Studies have been done which are beginning to Debunk the High Fiber low meat diet. Could it be the water? Well noone can determine that?

Maybe it is the pollution?

Could it possibly that as the eoples from these isolated areas are westernized they are also westernized to the modern toilet system? Could it be that as they learn to become more like us thay also begin incomplete emptying of their colon?

A Writer above asserts as it is already known that Diverticulitis is a result of increased strain. Maybe that strain is a result of the angle of the Sigmoid Colon in realtion to the rectum?

Could it possibly be that the greatest invention of all time has also been the thing that has led to increasing disease?

Could the modern toilet be repsonsible for the disease and the obesity and the stagnant life expectancy rates of the "Developed" nations.

Now I am not arguing in favor of making massive changes to plumbing systems.

I am simply stating that this could be an area which could maybe benefit from some thoughful exploration.

Would anyone here that has CC trade a new bowel habit for the absence of CC?

As you raise your children could it possibly be worth mentioning to them that a different approach to elimination might possibly spare them from the diagnosis that you now have?

As far as any changes to plumbing, there are no changes needed. The modern Throne can still be used. Most anyone can fashion a simple platform, or purchase one for a pittance of an investnment in one's health. One can still have the modern convenience of the sitting throne but have the availability of a different elimination.

Possibly, one could have a health benefit from choosing this posture once or twice each week? Maybe one could have increase benefit simply be using a squat occasionally and using the throne on a regular basis?

I am not advocationg nor trying to sell platforms. I was simply posting a question. To see what experiences and thoughts may be provoked by asking this.

Are there any persons on this board from other countries that use squatting toilets?

If you have thoughts please tell me what your feelings are.

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:26 am

Undeveloped nations are eating foods in their most natural state rather than hitting the McDonald's drive-thru.

As silly as it is, like Hannah said, there is no scientific evidence to back the squatting up.

Loopy369

Postby Loopy369 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:14 pm

What if...........the reason Eskimos don't get cancer is because it's not in their genes?

Part of me thinks my rectal cancer, causing pressure on my coccyx could have been triggered by trauma 15 years ago when I had stillborn twins followed by a car crash (rear shunt by idiot 17yr old pushing us into 3 other cars) less than three weeks later. Every vertabrae in my spine was knocked out of shape, particularly painful around my coccyx and lower back generally. I have also suffered from depression since I was around 12 and this, I have read predisposes people to cancer. I spent 5 solid years as a vegetarian prior to conceiving my boys - I rarely eat red meat and had plenty of fruit, veg, pulses but still I have cancer. I excercised regularly - still got cancer. No genetic history we know of - still got cancer.

Basically no-one knows exactly what caused mine, but there is a lot of proven evidence to show what treatment is easily available and controlled and thank god for the NHS, free for now. I'd love to not have the side effects of treatment, but then if alternative remedies didn't work, I'd have the worsening symptoms of the tumour which have been easing off this last few weeks of chemoradiotherapy.
Last edited by Loopy369 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lisa

36, single mum of two (14 and 12) diagnosed Jan 07
Stage 3b (Rectal at 15cm)
7 weeks 5FU 24/7 Feb/Mar 07 with 5 weeks radiation.

TME, creation of J pouch and loop ileostomy 6th June 07
Another PICC line and 6 months chemo start 16th July 07

bossan

Postby bossan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:38 pm

There are many reasons why we Americans get cancer. We should eat well, not smoke, manage our emotions better, spend time doing more productive things as opposed to chasing dollars etc...but every time I hear that its because of how we live or what we eat, I think of the young people who get it, die from it and it blows all the stuff out the window.

What we eat, where we live all contribute. It is genetic, environmental factors contribute and there are studies that suggest virus linked to certain cancers...meaning its random.

I personally know several people who lived vegetarian lifestyles, meditating, following their bliss, as it were, and still managed to get cancer, some even died from it. People may have been dying from cancer and complications realting to it for a long time, its only been a few years that we can detect it so well.

The best answer I have heard as to why we get cancer was from a message board. Its for the same reason a tornado devistates houses and infrastructure for miles. rips one home to shreds and the one next doors stays intact with no damage, its random. Just like when a sick person walks in a crowded room and starts coughing, why don't we all get sick?? Its random.
How Beautiful Can A Being Be?
My Personal Forum: http://z8.invisionfree.com/colorectalk
My Story (scroll to the bottom of page 1) http://www.colonclub.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

PGLGreg

Re: Whoa there.

Postby PGLGreg » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:56 pm

Nebtans wrote:If you have thoughts please tell me what your feelings are.

I feel that your many unanswered questions don't mean squat.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

Jonathan

The Fiber Myth

Postby Jonathan » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:52 am

Hannah said

"Most of the GI problems in the "western world" are caused by the simple fact that we don't eat enough fruits and veggies or drink enough water. Therefore we put ourselves in the situation where we need to strain because our stool doesn't have enough fiber in it to come out naturally and easily."

There's some interesting info at wikipedia about the fiber theory. Many recent studies attempting to confirm it have actually shown it to be baseless. See this article: http://www.boston.com/news/nation/artic ... ional+News

The squatting theory makes sense, and was even proposed by the same doctor who came up with the fiber theory. It was ignored because no one was willing to "go there".

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”