Anyone have Crohns or UC that turned cancerous?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Luv2Run

Anyone have Crohns or UC that turned cancerous?

Postby Luv2Run » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:20 pm

I had an appt. yesterday with my doctor who treated my for ulcerative colitis since 1990. He also did my partial-colotomy in 1999 (to prevent my chances of colon cancer). But, even though I had sigmoid scopes every year thereafter, I developed rectal cancer (Stage III - 1 lymph node) in Aug. 2005, with chemo and radiation following.

Yesterday he was telling me how he has had several IBD patients turn up with colorectal cancer - he stopped counting. Has anyone else had IBD that turned cancerous? I know we are scoped nearly every year - should we have been scoped every 6 months? Anyone else have similar experience?

Bob Baker

Postby Bob Baker » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:23 am

Hi Luv2run,

I have..... yep, I`m a good example of IBD turning to cancer. I got (ulcerative colitis)UC at age 15 and had it for a total of 27 years. I actually got colon cancer after 25 years with the disease and opted for a partial colectomy when given the option of that or total colectomy. Two years later the UC came back worse than ever and I decided to undergo ileostomy surgery. That changed my life for the better. Best thing I could have ever done.

My life started over once I got my ostomy. I`m more relaxed and generally healthier, mentally and physically. I got involved and started sharing my story with the public any way I could. Talking with people and educating about cancer and ostomy has become my passion and I never let an opportunity go by where I might fit it into a conversation.

I have been fortunate that there are many fine opportunities for those of us who feel we must do something to help the cause. Getting out there and helping others has been so good for me. It got me out of my own head and helped speed my recovery.

I got involved with Get Your Guts in Gear as a rider to raise awareness for IBD. I became involved with the United Ostomy Assoc`s of America. I joined the growing list of cancer survivors willing to pose for the Colondar (Mr. Dec. 07). I will be a part of my local Relay for Life celebration this summer. The list goes on....

I`m a five year cancer survivor since Jan. and I encourage you all to get out there and get involved any way you can.

Stay well,
Bob

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”