My husband had colon cancer 9/04

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
carescorner

My husband had colon cancer 9/04

Postby carescorner » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:10 pm

Dear Friends, my husband had colon cancer a year ago at age 40. Although I feel so fortunate they found it (by accident) and he is alive today thank god. He had bowel resection and was no treatment as they felt they got it all in time. He was recovered well from Sept to Feb but then developed diareah. They have tested him for everything and cannot find a cause. He takes 4 Immodium a day which has become expensive and tiresome on his part. Does anyone know why this is???
On another note, is there anyone out there that is the spouse of someone in this position. Although he has recovered well and is in amazing spirits I still feel very sad about the cancer. I can't seem to shake thinking he could get it back.
Thanks for listening,
Carescorner

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:54 pm

Hi.
I just wanted to reply to your question about diarrhea all the time. I don't know about anyone else that's had the resection surgery, but I suffer from constant diarrhea. I wouldn't say it's daily, but it's a safe bet I suffer at least once a week and usually more than that. I joke with my husband that I ought to buy stock in Imodium since I use it so often (it takes me 4 to stop too). It's has been a little over 5 years since my surgery and every time I mention it to the doctors, they seem unconcerned and my tests and colonoscopy have been repeatedly clean (YEAH!). Seems to me this is a very common sympton of post-colon resection. It's inconvient, painful and a little embarrassing, but it means I am still alive. I have to admit, because my main symptons when I had cancer are the same I have now (diarrhea and bleeding....though the bleeding is much less now), I have a hard time trying not to worry about it every time it happens. I also tend to have some pain in the abdominem area a lot. Again, I've gone through countless tests and scans, etc to find what it may be, but doctors think it's just scar tissue. I'm incline to believe that's true as well. How can anything be the way it used to be minus 1 and 1/2 foot of colon, 89 lymph nodes and my appendix? I don't have any remedies besides Imodium for the diarrhea, just make sure he eats enough fiber and my family in Germany insists that a little chocolate helps (I don't really think it does, but it sure does taste good!). But I don't think it's highly abnormal to suffer from it. My hypothisis is that food takes a faster track through less colon, so it sort of makes sense. Anyway, lots of rambling.....good luck to your husband and happy holidays!
Maggie

etl

Postby etl » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:23 pm

Hi Metamucile tablets help with the loose stools. I take 5 in the morning 5 in the early evening. It helps bulk up the stool.

Jen Blaire

Postby Jen Blaire » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:49 am

Justw anted to write that I had a bowel resection in April, and I have at least 5 stools a day still, and every once in awhile I have diarrhea, and have to run to the bathroom. I just think the diarrhea is just a effect of having a shorter colon, and things get processed faster. :oops:
Stage III rectal cancer survivor, Age 21, and Miss September 2006 Colondar model

Dennis

Postby Dennis » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:36 pm

My wife, Lisa underwent a resection in November of last year. She had been having diarrhea for about 6 years before being properly diagnosed. After the surgery, her bowls firmed up considerably. When meeting with the radiation oncologists, however, he mentioned some of the side affects could be loose stools. He pointed out that this would be normal for someone with a shorter colon. He also was very adamant about the use of Benefiber. In fact, he went on so long about its benefits, that we were certain he was a major stock holder in the company. He stated he had seen many colon cancer patients benefit tremendously from the fiber treatments. He also said that some of his patients would swear by the Benefiber vs. the Metamusil. He has had some patients go many months and even years without any diarrhea while on the fiber.

Although my wife has not yet undergone the radiation and, for the time being is doing very well as far as stools are concerned, we will certainly try the Benefiber if the diarrhea comes back.

Dennis

Postby Dennis » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:47 pm

My wife, Lisa underwent a resection in November of last year. She had been having diarrhea for about 6 years before being properly diagnosed. After the surgery, her bowls firmed up considerably. When meeting with the radiation oncologists, however, he mentioned some of the side affects could be loose stools. He pointed out that this would be normal for someone with a shorter colon. He also was very adamant about the use of Benefiber. In fact, he went on so long about its benefits, that we were certain he was a major stock holder in the company. He stated he had seen many colon cancer patients benefit tremendously from the fiber treatments. He also said that some of his patients would swear by the Benefiber vs. the Metamusil. He has had some patients go many months and even years without any diarrhea while on the fiber.

Although my wife has not yet undergone the radiation and, for the time being is doing very well as far as stools are concerned, we will certainly try the Benefiber if the diarrhea comes back.

Terry Miller

Bowels

Postby Terry Miller » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:46 pm

I hold to the belief that no two post-section bowels ever move the same. Prior to surgery, diarrhea was the norm. A solid stool was worth celebrating! Post-op, my bowels move normal to soft to an occasional diarrhea depending on what I've eaten and how long it has been. The fact that my colon is missing 18" probably adds to the variety. Since my surgery in 1999, I've had two very unpleasant experiences with food poisoning and the Norwalk virus on a cruise. The resulting diarrhea was like nothing I've ever experienced. Imodium couldn't touch it. The "bottom" line is that we all need to adjust our diets to our own needs. Once polyps, parasites, allergies, and the usual bugs are ruled out, just try to relax and let nature "move". The shorten bowel is part of the problem with which we live. Best wishes and I hope that your husband finally stabilizes to a more comfortable existence. It does take time.
Terry

darcy

Postby darcy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:18 pm

My boyfriend of 6 years was diagnosed with stage III almost two years ago at age 28. Surgery, chemo, radiation. He was just re-diagnosed this Xmas, is recovering from major surgery again and is about to face chemo again. The dotors have told us they don't know what the survival statistics are in a unique case like his. They're guessing 50/50. Not exactly what we wanted to hear.

As a quasi-spouse whose (almost) worst fears just came true, the thought that keeps me going is not concentrating on the odds or that "5 year" survival everyone talks about but concentrating on the thought that we probably have more control over the prognosis than we think we do. I refuse to believe that 50/50 is as good as it gets, or that there's not more info out there about cases similiar to his.

Though all the information out there is overwhelming, I guess I make myself feel a little better by taking control of our diets: eating organically and locally, not processed, etc. Maybe you would feel more empowered about the situation if you helped in some aspect of his life to help prevent recurrence? Feeling like I'm taking proactive steps at least makes it seem like I'm not just sitting back and letting all this happen.

The fact that your husband is still cancer free is fantastic. Try not to let the possibility that the stupid cancer may come back overwhelm you. :)

Oh yeah, mine goes to the bathroom 5-10 times a day, too. That's why when we moved 2 bathrooms was a must!!
:)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”