Stage 4 CC and diagnosed with thyroid cancer today

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MissKim

Stage 4 CC and diagnosed with thyroid cancer today

Postby MissKim » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:35 pm

I need support! I hate the cancer roller coaster ride. :x My 2/28 PET/CT scan revealed uptake in my thyroid area (plus 3 nodes in the left clavicle area, several lung spots, a spot on my retroperetinium, and spot on my vaginal cuff). Oh joy for me.

So I had a biopsy on the thyroid last Thursday and found out today that I have papillary carcinoma thyroid cancer :shock: . As if my life wasn't complicated enough. It is a very small spot. I want surgery because I just can't think about having two cancers at once. But I mentioned this and heard about "quality of life" and the colon cancer. Yeah, I know the colon cancer is the bigger threat. I just want to do something proactive.

This sucks big time. I swear I am in a state of shock and I am so numb. I can't even scream or cry about this because my month has been so full of crappy news that I am numb.

Any words of wisdom from other cc members? Anyone had this crappy experience? Have I mentioned that I HATE cancer :twisted: ?

Miss Kim

kimlon

Postby kimlon » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:48 pm

Kim, I'm sooo sorry. I don't have any words of wisdom but I will pray for you. Please keep the faith, God can change things in a hurry for the better.

Kim
My husband is stage IV with mets to liver and lungs

Monique

Postby Monique » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:47 pm

Miss Kim,

I was so sorry to read about your latest diagnosis. However, I have read that thyroid cancer has a high survival rate, especially for those with smaller tumors. If I were in your shoes, I too would want surgery. Could the inflamed nodes be related to the thyroid cancer? I too have lung nodules—my pulmonologist thinks that they may be evidence of metastasis, while my oncologist thinks they may be benign. Apparently many people have benign lung nodules. Unfortunately I don’t have any words of wisdom, but I have read of people who have survived three, sometimes four, different primary cancers. Hang in there.

Monique

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:59 pm

Kim & Monique,

Thank-you for your supportive words. I am just sort of numb today. My onc. just wants me to put this on the back burner and only worry about the cc for now. I agree that the stage 4 cc is the most serious, but I want to have control over the stupid thyroid papillary carcinoma.

Arggghhhh :x I am just venting today....

Miss Kim

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:35 pm

MissKim-

I feel your pain!!!

I have had a crappy month as well. Don't you wish someone could invent one shot that can take care of any of this cancer stuff?

I don't have any helpful advice.

-Kelly
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:08 pm

MissKim,
I've had a pretty bad month, too. But nothing quite as horrific as the news you've just heard. I wish I had words of wisdom. I don't. Some days I just have to tell myself that tomorrow will be better - and I hope for better days ahead.

I can imagine that you would just want to get on top of the thyroid cancer, since it is curable now. Seems a reasonable approach. After all, the stage IV cc isn't just going to disappear. Maybe time for a second (third?) opinion?

If your medical travels lead you to SLC, please look me up. I'd love to meet you and compare stories. I'd be glad to PM my contact info. I also have a spare room in my house if you find yourself needing to spend a night in town. I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

Good luck!

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:01 pm

I would love to meet you too, Lifes2Short. I will definitely look you up if I come south. I have a sibling who lives in Layton and I visit him & his family occasionally. I think that I may be calling on you for advice on oncologists in the SLC area. I am open to about any type of treatment right now. Grrrr, I HATE cancer :twisted:

I am just so angry. I have been spending hours on the computer trying to find something useful for my situation.

Sigh. Sorry to be such a venter lately, everyone.

Miss Kim

Maggie

Postby Maggie » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:04 pm

I really don't believe that anyone here blames you for wanting to vent. So please don't apologize anymore or even feel as though you need to justify it. We're all here for support no matter what! I wish I had more helpful advice besides keep your chin up and keep kicking. Just know that I am praying for you and will keep you in my thoughts!
Good luck and don't give up!
Maggie

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:00 pm

Miss Kim,
I really like my oncologist and there are several others in the same practice who also have great reputations. I also have a very kind surgeon who recently moved here after doing a fellowship at M.D. Anderson. He has a lot of good experience and he's up on all the most recent statistics and treatments. If might be worth your time to meet with him. PM me anytime if you'd like contact info.

Good luck to you. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:58 pm

Oh MissKim you don't need to deal with this! But I guess I don't need to say that because you have to... I am so sorry because you just don't need this added stress.

Because this is primary thyroid cancer (and not metastisized cc) I would probably want the surgery too. Why doesn't your doctor think you should have it out? Does he think that you aren't otherwise healthy enough? Does he think it's slow-growing enough that you have time to deal with other things first? I don't know but it sounds like you are doing okay health-wise despite the cc issues, so I wouldn't think the thyroid surgery would be a big thing.

My best friend had very early stage primary medullary thyroid cancer about 5 years ago. That is a whole different kind than yours but still treated in much the same way. Her surgery was pretty uneventful - she has a blood clotting issue so she was in the hospital for a little bit of extra time. Surgery is surgery of course, but I don't think it is usually considered major surgery to have your thyroid taken out.

After you have it removed, you might have to take two different kinds of medicine - one, a radioactive iodine for the cancer (although it sounds so early in your case that you probably wouldn't), and two, the medicine that replaces what your thyroid would normally make. Depending on the exact situation, you would either take one, both or neither of these! Does your doc think that either of these medications would somehow interfere with your cc treatment? I am not familiar enough with it to know for sure, but I don't think it will. You would also need blood tests fairly often (every 2-3 months I think) to check your levels and make sure the thyroid replacement medicine is working, so again although I can't imagine this would interact with anything happening with the cc you should check that out.

This is a pretty "good" cancer (God that sounds so stupid - is there even such a thing?) in that it is extremely curable, over 95%. But I think that cure rate is based on the fact that you have your thyroid taken out, so I think that is very important.

Obviously your doc knows a lot more about your overall situation than I do, but don't let him "write you off" because of the probable cc mets. If you are physically well enough to do the thyroid surgery and are willing to take it on, I personally think you should go for it.

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:33 pm

So this is strange because my best friend called right after I posted before and of course I told her about your post. She confirmed what I remembered about her thyroid surgery - it was pretty easy, and she was in the hospital for two days, mostly due to the other issues she had (blood clotting, which she has had for years). I flew home for her surgery on Thursday and except for the incision and scar she was pretty much "back to normal" by the end of the weekend.

Again, she had a different kind of thyroid cancer - she says there are four main kinds and yours isn't considered one of the most aggressive ones. But the surgery is pretty much the same as hers, and the recovery should be easier than hers as long if you don't have any other complications like she did.

So for what that is worth,
:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:40 pm

Hannah,

Thank-you for the thoughtful and informative posts to me. I really appreciate the time you took to tell me about your friend and how her surgery was thankfully pretty uneventful.

My onc. thinks that the thyroid cancer isn't much to worry about in the big scheme of things. He said that it is a very slow growing cancer.

I just pray that there will be some new treatments coming down the pipeline for stage 4 cc. Does anyone know of anything promising? I am currently on the Vectibix/Xeloda regime. I just started that on March 1 and noticed that my CEA has gone up some more, but not as drastically as it was going up before (+ 128 increase in the 2 weeks before), so I guess that there is a small comfort in that it is not going up as fast.

I feel fine physically, the dry skin just makes me a bit uncomfortable. My trouble in the last week is the emotional roller coaster ride.

Thank-you, colon club members, for all of your wonderful heart felt responses. Your kind responses do help me in months like this where I am fighting every day to keep my emotions in check.

Miss Kim

wdt

Postby wdt » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:59 pm

miss kim, I am so sorry you have had such a difficult and emotional month. My husband and I have also had this insane ride. He is scheduled to have his thryroid surgery April 5, in about a week...

Unfortunately, they think it is follicular thyroid cancer and the only way to diagnose it is to cut on it. He already had the needle biopsy and it was inconclusive. They found the spot during his first PET that was done right after he healed from the colon resection! Talk about a blow! He will either lose half his thryoid (if benign) or all of it (if malignant).

My husband is very upset about having the prospect of a second cancer as well. He also hates the thought of being cut on again so soon.

Everything that Hannah has said is true and is good advice. Take care. And wish us luck!

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:26 pm

WDT, I am SO sorry that you and your husband are dealing with this too. Ugh. I don't blame him for not wanting surgery so soon after the colon resection. I have almost 4 years behind me and all of my colon cancer related surgeries -- 7 surgeries in three weeks! And one more surgery on top of that if you count the port insertion surgery. The last thing I wanted to hear about in 2003 was another surgery. But now, I think I would definitely reconsider it. I have my strength back and I am feeling pretty good physically.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you, especially on April 5th. Please keep us posted on how everything goes.

Miss Kim

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”