Getting a 2nd opinion after you start Chemo

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
klryder02

Getting a 2nd opinion after you start Chemo

Postby klryder02 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:21 pm

Hello-

Did anyone search out a 2nd or 3rd opinion after you started chemo..and were already well into it??

Has anyone switched oncologists in the middle of treatment?

It may be the fact that my oncologist told me today that I will "be receiving some kind of treatment 90% of the time for the next 2 years" and that is not the answer I wanted to hear...but feel like there is something better out there.

The emotional part of me says to start looking for another doctor, but the logical part of me says that everyone here at the colonclub who has a similar stage to me is getting basically the same treatment, and that a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th opinion will tell me the same exact thing.

Any words of wisdom??
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

La Cuca

Postby La Cuca » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:43 pm

Hi there,
I read your post. My boyfriend got a second opinion almost two weeks into chemo and radiation, but with a surgeon. He has rectal cancer and usually physicians like to see you before you start therapy however if you are early into it they might be able to gather the information they need.

My boyfriend got three opinions. They all confirmed the first phsyician's prognosis. In our case it was hard to get the same news 3 more times, but it also has made us feel that we are in good hands and are doing all we can. He was also able to get a more celluar level diagnostic exam that gave us more informaiton.

Don't hesitate on getting a second opinion. This is your life and you need to do whatever it takes. The physician could very well say that he wont see you right now, during this course of treatment. Or, he/She might also say what you are doing is right on track (that was the case with my boyfriend).

Good luck,

La Cuca

Postby La Cuca » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:51 pm

Hi again,
After rereading your post I see that you are in Texas. If you can afford to get to Houston, I would try to go to MD Anderson, (unless you are already there). It's top notch and they have an amazing GI unit. I think but am not sure that they have different treatment options. One being going there 100% and another where the MD anderson doctor recomends a course of treatment and your local doctors execute it.

I would say call them up see exactly what you need to do. Try to get on the phone with the oncology portion of the GI, colorectal division.

Good Luck,

Carolyn JB

Postby Carolyn JB » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:10 am

Hey! I have had 2 chemo treatments and just went for a second opinion at Vanderbilt. The Dr. had pretty much the same to say BUT he presented it in a much more positive way and did give more info than I had. I like the oncologist I have now but the guy we saw there was a colorectal oncologist. It really made me feel much better after meeting with him!

Carolyn

missjv

Postby missjv » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:20 am

hi carolyn,
i went for another opinion as well and got much better prognosis and very different treatment options. i would be uneasy about going to only one doc. my 1st doc told me i could not have liver resection. well i went to a surgeon who said i could and i did and my liver is clear now so i think 1,2,3, or even more opinions are worth it.

missjv

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”