No Chemo today

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
klryder02

No Chemo today

Postby klryder02 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:12 pm

Today, I was scheduled for my 8th round of Folfox..and my counts were too low. They sent me home around 11:00 today. This is the first time this has happened.

I had spring break last week...so I had already pushed my chemo by a week (it has been 3 weeks today since my last treatment). I was really surprised by this.

I assume this has happened to other people?!?

The thing I don't get is...I feel really, really good this week.

I didn't talk to the doctor after the news came..just the nurse.
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

momof2crazyboyz

Postby momof2crazyboyz » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:15 pm

How low were you counts? do you remember? Are they looking at white blood cells or absolute neutrophils?

Did they give you neupogen or neulastin?

Cathy
STOP COLON CANCER -- MOON A DOCTOR!
Stage II CC NED 3/07 (HNPCC - Lynch Syndrome)

missjv

Postby missjv » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:55 pm

hi,
whats down white, red, or platelets? this is a common thing that happens. if you have gone to 8 treatments without this happening before you have done great. that chemo is accumulative and after a while it will play games with your system. eat some protein and drink some boost shakes and exercise. also eat alot of iron rich foods.

missjv

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:05 pm

I don't remember which count was down. I can't keep these stupid things straight anymore.

All I remember was the nurse said if the count was below 1,000...they won't give chemo..and mine was 850.

They didn't give me anything..just sent me home.
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.

momof2crazyboyz

Postby momof2crazyboyz » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:20 pm

Most likely that was your white count -- be very careful of infection. !! I am shocked that they did not give you neupogen - when are you going and getting your blood tested again....

Cathy
STOP COLON CANCER -- MOON A DOCTOR!

Stage II CC NED 3/07 (HNPCC - Lynch Syndrome)

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:12 pm

Hi Cathy-

The nurse said to come back next Tuesday, and had the receptionist reschedule me.

She did talk to me about infection, and since I'm a teacher, we talked a little about being careful around students.

amarsh

counts too loq

Postby amarsh » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:42 pm

THis happened to me once last year. I started to cry. I never thought I would be sad that you can't get chemo, but of course you are. My white count was too low. The next week I went back in and my count went up on its own. I guess that happens. It has not happened since. Don't worry, I am sure you will get it again soon.

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:19 pm

Amarsh-

It's funny how people react differently to the same thing.

When the nurse told me to go home and come back next week...I was like a kid on Christmas morning.

Another week of freedom!!

I thought I should be upset about it, but I was happy to get another "good week".

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”