Colonoscopy found large polyp

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Gail

Colonoscopy found large polyp

Postby Gail » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:11 am

Finally had the colonoscopy and it showed 2 polyps with one being 10 centimeters. Both were removed and sent for biopsy. Anyone know the % chance of cancer in larger polyps over smaller ones?
Thanks

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:47 pm

Gail,

I do not know the statistical data on polyp size and liklihood of whether or not it may or may not be cancer. I would love to commend you on getting a colonoscopy and being proactive in the managment of your health! You Rock! This holiday season, I wish you a long, blessed life and holiday cheer throughout the year! You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs!

Holly

p.s. I am praying for no adenocarcinoma in situ (precancer)

tamfigg

Postby tamfigg » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:59 pm

I have not heard of one that size, here is some information I found.

Occasionally, a polyp is too large to be removed endoscopically, usually when the diameter is more than about 4cm and, particularly, if the base of the polyp is broad with no well-defined stalk. In these cases, endoscopic removal can carry an unacceptably high risk of bleeding or perforation.

Types of polyp

Metaplastic polyps versus adenomatous polyps

The most common sort of polyp is a metaplastic polyp (in which cells change from one normal type to another). These usually do not grow much more than 5mm in diameter and have almost no risk of becoming malignant (cancerous). These polyps can be very similar in appearance to adenomatous polyps, the next most common type, which do have the potential to become malignant

Hope this helps..

Tammy Figg
www.figgtree.com

Gail

Postby Gail » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:18 pm

Thanks for the information and well wishes. I was quite shocked at the size myself as was my husband and even the doctor. The large 10 cm one was connected in 2 places on the colon but was removed during the colonoscopy. Not sure how as I was "out of it". They first told me I wouldn't be put to sleep but due the invasiveness of the procedure it was necessary. Waiting for the biopsy results. Thanks again to all.

Terry

Big Polyps

Postby Terry » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:55 am

Hi Gail,
I lived through the discovery a rather large polyp that my doctor correctly predicted as being malignant. He biopsied a sample but did not remove it because of its size......12cm. Mine was on the right side which are usually more difficult to diagnose because they cause problems later than ones in the transverse or descending colon or rectum. The good news is that medical personnel know it exists and you can deal with it. The ordeal or a colon resection, while not a walk in the park, is something tolerable especially when you realize the huge benefit.....LIFE! The worst part for me was the 2 weeks I had to wait from diagnosis to surgery. Mine was at Stage 1 which is the next best thing to a non-malignant polyp. That was in April of 1999.
Best wishes for a healthy outcome and always remember that this website provides a wealth of information, support, and love.
Happy Holidays,
Terry Miller

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:02 pm

Thanks Terry,
I was surprised that he was able to remove it during the colonoscopy.
I am even more surpirsed and honestly a little nervous in that no biopsy results will be back for another week. The doctors office told me that the more tissue removed, the longer it takes for the results.
Thanks for your support and hope you have a very Mery Christmas.

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:49 pm

Terry,
What sort of treatment did you have for stage 1? Did you have chemo?
And for how long? How often do you have to get scoped?
Thanks
Gail

Terry

Stage 1

Postby Terry » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:45 pm

Hi Gail,
Due to my pathology report....zero for 25....the oncologist I visited at the Ireland Cancer Center in Mentor, OH put me on a 3 month checkup routine for the first year with appropriate blood work. He told me as long as things looked good there was no sense to put me through "Chemo Hell". It has been over 6 years so I guess he was right! My standard joke is that I cannot wear a Speed-o because of my scar. My only complication has been a double hernia that resulted in a strangled bowel. Fortunately, emergency surgery was done in time and there was no permanent damage done to my remaining bowel. The incision was reopened and repaired with poly-propelene mesh. I would probably have to lift a piano to re-herniate the area. If it turns out to be maliginant, you will deal with it. It's far better to find out that you have colon cancer than it is not to find out that you have colon cancer. Again, best wishes and remember you will be supported and encouraged. I wish that this website had existed when I was diagnosed. It can be a very lonely feeling, even with the support of friends and family.
Good health to you always,
Terry

astephens3

Reference for size of polyps

Postby astephens3 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:53 pm

I got this from the following website:

http://health.yahoo.com/ency/healthwise ... 3KNADogrMF

------------------------------------------

Size of colon polyps

Very small polyps [5 mm (0.2 in.) or less] are common. Less than 1% of these small polyps contain cancer cells. 1 Experts estimate that it may take 10 years for an adenomatous polyp, especially one that is smaller than 1 cm (0.4 in.), to develop into cancer. 2

The larger the polyp, the more likely it is to cause symptoms, such as rectal bleeding. More importantly, the larger the polyp is, especially if it is greater than 1 cm, the more likely it is to develop into or already contain cancer.

julie

Postby julie » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:54 am

At the beginning of Nov I had a sigscope I had a large polyp removed, the biopsy came back normal, but now I have to have a colonoscopy (still waiting for appointment). I think the wait is always the worst, I understand your anxiety & worry.

Good Luck on your results Gail :)

Love & Hugs julie xxxxxxxxxxxx

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:20 am

Gail,

This holiday seson, I am wishing you a long and healthy life! Please do let us know how your biopsy results go! Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Big Hugs!

Holly

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”