Both of my kids were diagnosed very young

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Deb

Both of my kids were diagnosed very young

Postby Deb » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:43 pm

Hello to everyone!!
I'm glad my brother Bill, or UB as my kids call him, sent me this link.
My son Aaron was diagnosed with a stage 4 colon cancer at age 19. He lost his battle after a year and a half. We were told at Mayo Clinic that this was NOT genetic so didn't push my daughter into getting tested. Liz was married September 1st the end of last year and was diagnosed with a stage 3 colon cancer January 9th of this year. Needless to say, our world has turned upside down. I just can't believe this is happening to our family again. I know treatment has changed since losing Aaron in 2001. My daughter is not just my daughter but in many ways my best friend. I hate that she is going through all of this when her life has just begun. I also have a 10 year old who is going through his first colonoscopy this coming Wednesday. I have to be proactive with him because at this point I have to believe this has to be genetic somehow. I just want the C word out of our lives. I hate that all we think about is this disease. Are there any other mothers out there that have faced this??

missjv

Postby missjv » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:39 pm

hi,
wow im sorry about your son how horrible and now your daughter has this nasty disease as well your right it has to be genetic. tell your daughter keep her chin up there is so many treatments and different combinations of drugs available now that are working wonders. i am stage 4 and currently show no evidence of disease so tell your daughter she can beat this stuff. glad your taking your other son for colonoscopy. i have an 8 year old daughter and im wondering when she should start screening different docs give me different answers or no answers at all. im thinking since i was diagnosed at 39 she should get one starting maybe as a teenager cause who knows how long i had it before it was found. good luck.

missjv

Ivanaplay2

Postby Ivanaplay2 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:50 pm

Hi Deb,

My deepest condolences on the loss of your son. There is no greater tragedy than a parent having to bury a child. And now the devastating news that your newly-wed daughter has the same diagnosis. Life can be so unfair.

On the upside: Yes! Medical advances are being made constantly, making your daughter's chances better than ever before. If you read some of the posts on this website you will find remarkable stories of people given up by their doctors as a lost cause, but who are alive and well today with no intentions of giving in to this insidious disease now or ever. I salute you on having your 10 year old checked out. That is an amazingly young age to have this procedure, but I can certainly understand your reasons for it.

Neither of my children have been diagnosed with colon cancer, so I can only pretend to know what that must feel like, but my father-in-law and myself have both been through a colon resection.

You (and your daughter) must be your own advocate and sometimes may have to fight for what you believe is your best course of action. Educate yourself in whatever way you can on this disease. This website is an excellent resource. Be strong, and know that all of us here are on your side.

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:06 pm

Good for you for having your son tested. Do not let anyone tell you not to because of his age. I was diagnosed at 34 and my daughter who is 6 has rectal bleeding. Her colonoscopy is on 2 April. The doctor told me the youngest patient he found polyps on is 5 and the youngest person he performed a resection on is 12. Colon cancer caught early is very treatable and since your daughter's hasn't spread yet, it is likely, very likely that she will be NED in no time and be able to fulfil all her dreams.

As far as the gentics go, when I went in for my consultation, I was told there are 4 known genes to cause colon cancer and currently they can only test for 2. Here is a good site to look at for HNCCP. http://www.mayoclinic.org/hnp-colon-cancer/

We are all here for you. As a mother, I will say a special prayer for you.

Sharon
Diagnosed Stage III Jan 06. Completed Treatment Oct 06. NED Dec 06,

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”