cea elevated somewhat after rectal cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sparkly

cea elevated somewhat after rectal cancer

Postby sparkly » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:17 pm

hi there...and hope you are having a great day...i was wondering if anyone out there has experienced this...december 06 cancerous tumor removed from rectum...stage 1~T2 tumor...positive margin...then did adjuvant therapy (chemo and radiation)...had 2 c-scans since...both clean...also lung exrays...good...but my CEA level was up this time...2.585...doctor said not to worry but wants another cea test in 3 months...i also have lots of lower back pain also, radiating into abdomin and legs...they did back scan, no cancer noted...anyone out there have any thoughts? thanks so much...wish i didn't worry so much :)

LA8

Postby LA8 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:29 am

I was told that a CEA of 4 or less was ok.

missjv

Postby missjv » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:55 am

hi,
the cea level is a funny thing to start with. i was diagnosed stage 4 with liver mets and at diasgnosis had a cea of 2 it is now 1.5 so i don't know how accurate that test really is cause i had stage 4 with negative cea. also i have read lots of things can mess with the #'s like chemo and other drugs. as far as your back pain it could just be the whole area inflamed from the radiation just causing you some after effects. chemo and radiation help us but also can have negative long term effects like joint pains. if your cea stays under 5 then i wouldn't worry about it. have it checked again in 3 months cause if your scans are clear then nothing to worry about.

missjv

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”