Just had emergency surgery and diagnosed

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Just had emergency surgery and diagnosed

Postby seussfan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:10 pm

I just found your site and I am hoping that it will be helpful to me. Here is what has happened in the last two weeks.

I am a 39 year old woman (with a husband, 3 children, 1 puppy) and on Sunday, March 4th I told my husbnad (after two painful days) to take me to the hospital. I thought I had appendicitis. No such luck. First, they took one look at me and practically carried me to a room. They said I was as white as a sheet. They did blood work and I scored at 16 - they said a woman my age should score at 35. Then they sent me for tests - an external and internal sonogram and 2 CT Scans. They determined that I had a 4 inch ovarian cyst and had concerns about my colon. Originally they thought it was Crohns.

After surgery, the surgeons told us they took out my cysts, my right ovary, right fallopian tube, 8 inches of my colon and 15 lymph nodes. They told us they sent the stuff for testing and they were pretty sure it was colon cancer. Friday, March 9th we got the results - Stage 2 Colon Cancer. They also told us that 6 of the 15 lymph nodes they removed had cancer. They also told me I would have to undergo chemo.

I just got back from the hospital late last night. I am in pain, depressed, and finding it hard to see the end of the tunnel. They have assured me they have gotten all the cancer and that chemo is necessary to prevent it form returning. I am scared, sad, angry, pissed off, depressed, etc. How do you get through something like this? How do you think positively when you are in pain? How do you keep it together in front of your family???????? :cry: :cry:

nodo

Postby nodo » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:31 pm

Seussfan - You have come to a wonderful place for support and advice. There are so many knowledgeable people on here that can help you through your journey. First, please understand that cancer is curable and treatable and you can take a lot of good things out of your experience. Having said that, I also know what you are going through and just how overwhelming it can be. My story is very similar to yours - I have 4 young kids, landed in the ER one night and had emergency surgery the next day. I was a stage IIIC. That was 3 years ago when I was 36.

Do not be hard on yourself. Being pissed off, angry, scared, sad and overwhelmed are all natural emotions. You need to allow yourself time to absorb what is happening and get your arms around all that you have been through. Meditation, prayer, exercise, etc... can all help with positive thinking. It is hard with kids to keep up the good face, but somehow you will find the strength to do that. They need to believe that you are going to beat this, too.

Chemo is not the best thing to go through, but I also believe it's not the worst. Time will allow you to accept it and try to look at it positively. Chemo will rid your body of any remaining cells, so welcome it. It is impossible for them to tell if all of the cancer cells are out, so you should do it if your doctors are advising it. I ended up deciding that being mad wasn't going to make me better. What was done was done and I just needed to put my mind to the task of beating the cancer.

It is very odd how your life can be going one way and then, when something like this happens, your life comes to a screeching halt and your new life becomes your illness. Break the chemo into segments, give yourself rewards or things to look forward to and accept the help of family and friends. The time on chemo will end and, believe it or not, your life will become yours again. Cherish those kids of yours and let them be the incentive you need to do this! Praying for your strength and recovery!

Frank G

Postby Frank G » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:37 pm

Everyone has to find what works for them.If you are a believer trust in God and look back the times he was there for you.

Remember worrying will not add one day to your life.It is alright to be afraid right now but this will be lessened with everyday you move forward.

Don't feel like you have to be strong for your family.Let them be strong for you.This includes friends also.My family has learned I will sob at the drop of a hat or any old movie these days.

Last of all hold on for the ride.You have lassoed a whirlwind and your headed for the ride of your life.

Dean

Postby Dean » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:54 am

Seussfan,
First off, you have come to a great place for support....All the emotions you are feeling now are normal, you want to lash out and ask yourself, why me??, how did it happen??, etc...Cancer will probably be the scariest thing you will face in your life but many challenges have faced you before and you have overcome them, its the fear of the unknown that challenge all of us everyday. As time goes by you will focus your energy on overcoming this beast and not on how and why it happened. I also tell myself everyday that it could be worse, it could have been one of my young children having to battle this disease and not me. Hang tuff!!!

Dean
Colondar model Sept 2007

Carolyn JB

Postby Carolyn JB » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:05 pm

I am 36 with a 6 year old and I was diagnosed jan 10, had surgery the next week , got out after 5 days and ended up back in for a week since I was dehydrated. By the time I came home I was week - especially for not moving aorund in the hospital, tired, sore, scared and looking at my 6 year and terrified I would never be able to do 'normal' things with her or even see her grow up. Every day got slowly better - I was able to sit outside and draw with sidewalk chalk - something small but it was 'normal'. I now feel pretty good - except chemo weeks I am tired but the other week is a GREAT week for me so I try to do as much as possible with her then. I have also had to give up alot of the things I used to do (wash the salads for the bunnies, give them their salads in the am and pm) to my husband - who doesn't mind but its hard because I enjoyed them (I can't do them on chemo weeks because of the cold), but its hard learning to accept the help. I think its ok to feel the way you are feeling and being here helps - to know that there are others that are similar to you going through it- and have gotten through it. As much as I hated it when people said it to me - it really is one day at a time

Carolyn

momof2crazyboyz

Postby momof2crazyboyz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:29 pm

Seusefann -- I also am 36 years old, 2 young boys (2/5) and 2 dogs.. I also was taken by surprised with my colon ca. I was going in for a routine scope and was transferred to the hospital for emergency surgery .. Removed 2 tumors, 43 cm of my large intestines and lots of lymph nodes. This was in July 06. I started chemo in September and finished in Jan. I was on folfox, was not too bad except for numbness and tingling in hands and feet. I had my catscan last week and am NED at present. YEAH....the best advice I can tell you is the week of your chemo, have someone help you with chores and taking care of the kids. You will be tired...but on off weeks you are able to function. I was unable to work because I am a Critical Care RN (work in the ICU) and my wbc levels were too low -- very high risk for infection. Feeling great now -- taking off work to enjoy my family.. Will return in September.. You can get through it...you have too much to live for. This is a great site for info and support.. Stay strong... Cat
STOP COLON CANCER -- MOON A DOCTOR!
Stage II CC NED 3/07 (HNPCC - Lynch Syndrome)

missjv

Postby missjv » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:52 pm

hi suesefan,
if they found 6 positive nodes wouldn't that put you at stage 3?? let me know if im wrong but from what i have read lymph involvment puts one at stage 3 then stage 4 would be distant metastasis. i could very well be wrong maybe someone can clear it up for me.

missjv

kelk

Postby kelk » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:44 pm

Seusefann -- I also am 36 years old, 2yr old son. Had FULL hysterectomy Aud. '06, and never healed. Dec. 4 had 6+ hour surgery to remove a foot of my colon, top of my vagina, three tumors on my liver and several lymph nodes --> stage IV colon cancer. :evil: I TOTALLY felt exactly like you did and sometimes still do. It's cool. And when someone tell you not to cry, try not to slap them. CRY! Get it out! To me it feels like being pregnant again and crying for no reason. I'm 1/2 done with chemo and looking forward to the summer when I'll be done. You can do it chica! :lol: kelk

suzieh

Postby suzieh » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:45 pm

Lymph node involvement is definately Stage 3. I know this is so much information to absorb all at one time, but I would hate to see you make the decision of not having Chemotherapy treatment because you were told you are only Stage 2. If even 1 lymph node is positive if puts you at stage 3. I am almost certain that all the major cancer centers treat stage 3 at least all the ones I got opinions from.

You will find a lot of strength in your kids and they will be the positive constant in your life. I was 37 at diagnosis, 7 lymph nodes positive, underwent 12 chemotherapies of the usual Folfox after colon resection and am now almost 1 year off chemotherapy.

Good luck and I will be thinking of you

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:42 am

Hi Seussfan,
They reckon I had about six or seven days left in me when I had the scope . I knew it was bad and when they told me it was stage 3 and six nodes were involved, nurses started patting me on the arm and doctors just nodded and shook their heads. About then I started telling people to get stuffed .I DO NOT DIE FROM CANCER. Almost ten years later I do not have cancer and I have had no recurrence. I had a year of chemo and yes it was crappy and sorted me right out but repeat after me I DO NOT DIE FROM CANCER. Right, now believe it,Cheers Ron.

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:18 pm

After I posted my original message, I had my first appointment with my oncologists. My surgeon DID tell me I was Stage 2, but he was wrong. My oncologist made it very clear I was stage 3. Shock to me and my husband. I really held onto the stage 2 diagnosis......

pjpeace

Postby pjpeace » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:35 am

i kinda figured with the lymph node involvement that you were stage III...well hon i was stage III too and they basically wrote me off in the beginning. you can't be strong all the time and it's ok to cry. it's ok to be mad too. but deal with it and move beyond that. you are going to need to have everything inside to fight this thing. i know you are hurting right now too but i bet you are noticing every day you are getting just a little bit stronger. this type of surgery really whips you out and it does take awhile to get your energy back. but it does come back.

it's a whirl wind you first find out. my friend told my family 'we have to wait for her to get mad.' i cried in my friends arms one night in the hospital room (she stayed with me every night). then i had to decide to fight or not. they left part of the tumor in me at my first surgery because it was too big/risky to get the rest of it out (and wrapped around a major vein and the head of my pancreas) and honestly i think they were thinking they were just going to close me up and give me 'three years'.

it's ok to know statistics and stuff but the best advice i can give you is what one of my doc's told me...your attitude is half the battle. i just ignore the statics anyway...i'm too darned determined to stick around to become a statistic ; ) do not EVER give up either. i never once gave up on getting that second surgery to get the rest of the tumor removed. knowing full well if it was left in there it would eventually kill me. i just had my second surgery at the beginning of march and the rest of the tumor came out and the vein was not involved with the tumor. no cancer was found...chemo did it's job and whipped out any possible spread.

make sure you finish your chemo. the first survivor i talked to told me that. it's not fun but if it does become too much for you to tolerate they can lesson and spread out the doses.

you did a very good thing by taking the first step in seeking out other survivors. there are tons of us on here at differnt stages and i can't tell you how many survivors i've meet and some that were only given 6 months to live (and that being in 91) and still kicking! everyone's story is different. but it can be done.

Also, try and be as organized as possible with your paperwork...go to the colon cancer alliance website and download a treatment binder pages...or go to Lance Armstrongs website and order one of his binders. it's important to keep all your info together. i can't tell you how many times a doc didn't get my scan records or was curious about what the other doc's were thinking. since you'll now be getting your whole team together...

Best of luck to you! we're here to help ya!
"When you've been abandoned in the desert and the vultures are circling and squawking at you...raise you fist at them and yell "I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!"
Stage IV @ 30 yrs. 6/06 Ms. April 2008
Recurrence to pancreas 2/09 & 6/10

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”