Brother inlaw having rough time

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
kate-mich

Brother inlaw having rough time

Postby kate-mich » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:06 pm

Hi, My brother inlaw has stage II cc, Had surgery, removed some of the colon ,no lymph involved,, he is on 5FU had 8th tx 4 wks ago, his feet are very numb and dr my cut doseage, but he is concerned that the numbess will get worse, or be permenet. has any of you had the numbness to the point that you could NOT walk??? His job would depend upon walking. Also wondering if having 8 tx would work?? I have read where some other people have taken 8 tx's and had to stop, but dont know if they went on different tx or not.. know this is kind of long,, but any help would really be apperacaited.... THANKS is advance :)

Becca

Postby Becca » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:36 am

Hi! I have stage 4 CC, & I had problems with the chemo & numbness in my hands & feet. Is he on Fulfox? The Oxaliplatin used in that type of chemo is what causes the numbness. It got to the point that I was unable to walk without SERIOUS pain, especially right after treatment. That is a pretty common side effect from what I've been told. I only had 8 treatmnets with it. I was taken of of it because I had an allergic reaction to it. I am now on a medication called Camtosar & it has worked well for me. (My cancer came back & camped in my lungs so I started treatment again right before Christmas) The good news is that the numbness did go away after I stopped taking the Oxaliplatin. Tell your brother-in-law to hang in there, & talk to his Dr. about alternatives.

Billy

numbness

Postby Billy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:06 pm

Of course everyone is different, but I did experience numbness with Oxaliplatin. It did get pretty bad while I was on it, but it only took a month or two after I stopped for most of it to go away. I sometimes have residual tingling in my feet, about a year later now, but it's not anywhere near as bad as when I was on the drug.

It sucks that cancer can't just be cancer, that we have to deal with all these other afflictions that turn up because of treatment or complications. But.....it's all beatable. There are lots of people here that can attest to that! Tell your brother in law he is not alone. Lots of people have gone through, and lots of people have made it through. Also, I'm a big believer in keeping open dialogue with the doctors. They're not mind readers. Keep them informed of what is going on and they will be able to better help.

Billy
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

http://billyscolon.blogspot.com

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”