started Plan C today

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dianne052506

started Plan C today

Postby dianne052506 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:27 pm

Two weeks ago, I had my first scan since dropping the oxaliplatin from my chemo mix. I had had a major rxn in December, and, according to Dr. M., was turning a nice shade of blue before they got me turned around. The scan showed that the oxi must have been doing the bulk of the work for me, because in just 3 months of Xeloda only, the lung mets grew in number and in size.

This makes the first day of Irinotecan. We were going to start last week but my platelets were only 74. They had recovered some, but only to 87, so we did a half-dose of Irinotecan to go with my Xeloda, and we'll see about a full dose next time.

I'm a little discouraged. With the not-so-good scan, I can't help but feeling like I flunked a test in school. I also hate starting into this with Holy Week and Easter coming up, plus Spring Break for my daughter. However, only a little trouble so far this afternoon, so I decided to forgo the Imodium for a bit and try my own remedy - I believe in the natural power of CHEESE- plus I get to enjoy the treatment.

On the good news side, I did my first outreach today. I had left a bunch of Colanders at my one’s office in December. Today, I sat next to a gentleman getting his 2nd round of FOLFOX. He was telling the infusion room nurse about this eye pain he had experienced this morning when he was coughing. The nurse looked a little puzzled and said she hadn't heard of that. I raised my hand, and said, "Excuse me, for eavesdropping. Got to interrupt here. Yes, the eye spasms with coughing, sneezing, and crying can be part of FOLFOX, and for heaven's sake, don't rub your eyes hard."

We had a good chat, I gave him a Colondar, and found out he and his wife own the premier place around here for mastectomy inserts and lingerie, as well as wigs. I'll be visiting my new friend in the very near future!

My family and friends keep telling me that I made it through FOLFOX; I can make it through this. Not sure how much I believe that, but I don't have any choice but to keep trying. I will admit to being more than a little scared heading down this new road. All information, inspiration, prayers, good wishes, and warm thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all,
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Re: started Plan C today

Postby SkiFletch » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:34 pm

Well, there's always the possibility that you'll react better to Irinotecan than you did Oxaliplatin from both a cancer and a side effects standpoint. Hopin it works out OK for you :)
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:34 pm

Dianne,

You seem to have spunk. I think that you'll do very well with Plan C. Good luck and Happy Easter!

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:32 pm

Ann,
I like that word, "spunk." I thought it was just plain, old stubborn.
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

jmarie
Facebook Username: Jessica Ramos Smith

Postby jmarie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:01 am

I went into more detail on the insomnia post, but just in case you don't see it I'll recap. I also had an allerigic reaction to Folfox. Folfox was really hard on my body and the nueropathy was annnoying as heck. I have now had 14 rounds of Folfiri which has been fairly easy compared to Folfox. I pray it is as easy on you but aggresive on the cancer.
DX Stage IV 11/25/08
mets liver lung, kras mutant
Baby 2yrs old! I am 32yrs
Too many chemo txs to count
trying to find a clinical trial
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

Ellen

Postby Ellen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:42 am

Hi Dianne,

My response to folfiri was much better than to folfox. I found it easier to tolerate physically and it did a good job of fighting my cancer for about a year (unlike you, I was unable to tolerate folfox for nearly that long.)

I hope that your results are as good--or BETTER! In the meantime, for better or worse, I gotta agree--we don't have a lot of choices so we do the best we can with the possibilities. You've become a master at this. I admire you.

Sending all good thoughts!

Ellen
Stage IV CC
Colon resect, chemo, unsuccessful liver resection 2/07-11/07
Bile leak/progression 12/07-4/08
Folfiri/Erbitux, Folfiri/Avastin 5/08-6/09
Olaparib 7/09-9/09
Folfox 10/09-1/10
MitomycinC/Xeloda 1/10-
43 Y.O: 2 children: 3 and 5.5 years.

SamT

Postby SamT » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:23 am

Diagnosed stage 4 in '05 with 50+ liver mets. After colon rsxn and livr rsxn, have had FOLFOX + Avastin (6 mo). Over the 51 months since dx, have been on chemo 24 months. Platelets always normal, hemoglobin always > 13. But I do get 3 days of Neupogen shots after each chemo session to prevent platelet/WBC drop. Oxaliplatin gives neuropathy... Irinotecan much less so, but the hair goes.

Have had Irinotecan + 5-FU + Erbitux. (On it again) I'm sure you know the Erbitux (like Vectibics sp?) is a biological agent (monoclonal anti-body). They need to take some of the sample cancer tissue from your surgery specimens (still on file) and do a KRAS-test to see if your specific cancer cells are responsive; this may take a few weeks. Turns out I am a super-responder to Erbitux, and Erbitux has only minor side-effect -- a rash (acne-like) in the upper body controlled with cream.

If you're not doing the diet, supplement, mental imagery etc... please consider it. That is what has kept my bloodwork normal, and liver enzymes near normal, through all the chemo pounding. The docs are amazed.

The story of long-term stage4 survivor Bob Vandegrift is a great motivation. You can audio stream his 30-min story at http://www.stage4hope.org

Gob Bless, Good Luck, Keep fighting !
SamT
46yo dx 12/5 CC w/50+lvr mts
2/6 colon rsxn
FULFOX w/avstn 3/6-9/6
10/6 insert lvr pump: 9 biops-NED
6/7-3/8 lvr pump FUDR,Irin
11/8-3/9 fudr,Irin
4/9 opn ablatn,lvr rsxn
5/9-6/9 Fulfiri
11/9-now,Erbx/5FU/Irin
God,diet,imagery,vitmn,exrcs
stage4hope.org

JillCurtis

Postby JillCurtis » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:32 pm

that sucks .. hope the introduction of the ir. helps. have a great easter / holiday season :}
Jill, 45
02/07 - DX 07 -T 3 Colon, Surgery, 12 Folfox
02/08 – Surgery, 1 Xeloda, 7 Folfiri/Avastin
02/09 – 12 Folfiri/Avastin
10/09 – 2 New Tumors, 1 Erbitux/Irinotecan - Bad Reaction
12/09 - 4 Folfox / Avastin
03/10 - Chemo stopped working

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”